Left hand wrist pain/hand and thumb pain

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
kehern

Re: Left hand wrist pain/hand and thumb pain

Post by kehern » Thu May 28, 2009 9:02 pm

Well, before I (re)started lessons with my new teacher, I had not played seriously for a few months. Because of that, my wrist and hand were pretty calm, they were never under any odd tension or pressure. My technique was also very non existent, because I hadn't played in so long. I was able to adapt in a matter of weeks, after four lessons (1 month) I was playing with the new, and better technique. No pains since. :) Then again, I am 18, so my body probably adapted easier.

That test was last year, I ended up getting a 4 on the exam. (out of a scale of 5) So I got about 3 hours of credit, and exemption from the intro Biology class. This year, I took AP English, AP Music Theory, and AP Calc. It wasn't too fun. :(

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:19 pm

Ahh yes.... the resiliency of youth. sigh. :roll: Well I just had my first bout of "over-doing" my practice and the following day my left wrist hurt terribly. You see, I felt compelled to play this new piece of music and played and played and played all July 4th weekend. Way too many hours. Instead of my usual 2 hours/day, I had two three hour practices for each of three days. I've got all of my notes now. :D But obviously, my body was not pleased. At all. :evil: I had felt fatigue but no real pain while I was playing. But the morning after this marathon, it was obvious to me that I overdid it. My wrist hurt without doing anything.
I now see that I am not the only one who has done this. But at 54, I don't recover quite as quickly as our friend, kehern.
I have been doing short careful practices this week after nearly two days of complete rest. At the slightest hint of fatigue, I stop. I really don't want to have an inflammatory response (inflammation; my middle name...) so I am proceeding with caution. This was a piece with a lot of barres and I was looking at the fretboard a fair amount. Probably, I was so intent on the notes that my posture slipped and I was playing with a bent left wrist. I will ask my teacher to watch me closely this week and hopefully he will detect any problems I might have.
My wrist is feeling better and I am enforcing the light practice rule until it is back to normal. 1 week has elapsed.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

rashephe

Post by rashephe » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:49 am

I am really late to this thread, but this helped my stamina immensely. The whole leaning towards the audience corrected the wrist pain. Thank you!

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”