Anyone else have some hearing loss?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
James

Re: Anyone else have some hearing loss?

Post by James » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:19 am

i am not sure there are enough decibels playing CG to cause significant hearing loss.

Non Tabius

Post by Non Tabius » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:19 am

Boy did I have a bad spell these last three weeks .I had to put on earphones to hear the cg guitar, even going as far as putting my ear against the body.Fortunatly I discovered that it was the sinas tubes that were conjested.After a bit of a clean-up things have improved.My right ear is blown for sure, I will need a hearing aid on that one.Thats the price of Rock and Roll I suppose.

Bailey

Post by Bailey » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:40 pm

James wrote:i am not sure there are enough decibels playing CG to cause significant hearing loss.
I agree. I seriously doubt that playing, or listening to, the CG under normal conditions could damage your hearing; regardless of what type of CG you're playing or listening to. Now, if it's amplified, then that could be a different story.

Bailey

Bailey

Post by Bailey » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:48 pm

Charlie Schultz wrote:I've had hearing aids for just over a week now. I really have no idea what my hearing used to be (it's been ~25 years), so I'm told it will take a while to get used to them. The most obvious thing is that every string I play buzzes (even open strings!). And playing duets (with Remmus) is certainly different. I go back to the audiologist Friday for a check and presumably some adjustments, but they say it may take 4-6 weeks to get used to them. On the plus side, with the use of a "necklace" I can stream bluetooth music to my hearing aids and nobody can tell :)
I also wear hearing aids when I'm in a social or business situation. I don't wear them to play CG. Fortunately, I can hear all of the notes all the way up the fretboard with my residual hearing. Overtones, of course, and unfortunately, are more or less a thing of the past for me.

When I have tried my current hearing aids for CG, I also get a buzzing sound; but only on some of strings and never on open strings.

Be sure to tell your audiologist exactly what you need the hearing aids for and, if they programmable and if they have multiple program inputs; which most hearing aids do these days, then do as segoviajr07 suggests.

Bailey

Charlie Schultz
Amateur luthier

Post by Charlie Schultz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:55 pm

Thanks for all the inputs. The HAs are Phonak "Naida" S (both ears). I do have a music program and that has stopped the bell-like ringing. The buzz is still there and my audi said she'd talk to Phonak for some suggestions.

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:22 pm

I used the Naidas, mine are now the newer model of Naida, the CRT, its the same basic circuitry but with speakers inside the ear, much smaller than the ones you have. I am going to go out on a limb here and tell you the probable reason for your difficulty is the audiologists' lack of experience. Trust me on this one, been there and done that.

Bailey

Post by Bailey » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:01 pm

segoviajr07 wrote:I used the Naidas, mine are now the newer model of Naida, the CRT, its the same basic circuitry but with speakers inside the ear, much smaller than the ones you have. I am going to go out on a limb here and tell you the probable reason for your difficulty is the audiologists' lack of experience. Trust me on this one, been there and done that.

My hearing aids are also CIC-type units (Completely In Canal); which places the microphones and the housing within the ear and makes use of the anatomy of the ear to catch sound. They are virtually invisible in any social or business situation. They're made by Starkey; the model is called Destiny. The units are about 5 years old now and are still going strong. They do have a music setting, but I don't find that I need to use it.

Segoviajr07 is absolutely right about audiologists; don't assume that yours has the knowledge base to adapt your units to your musical needs. Try a few different audiologists; try larger organizations, try organizations in cities where there are more people using hearing aids. When you find a good one, stick with them. Their history of working with you will be very useful to you in the future as you hearing changes.

Bailey

AsturiasFan

Post by AsturiasFan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:40 am

I may also be getting a Starkey, but a behind the ear version. I was told by the audiologist that Starkey hearing aids are waterproof which helps prevent water damage to the circuitry and helps prolong life. Behind the ear versions are more easily repaired since they have independent components that can be switched in and out. Hearing aids help prevent nerve deterioration, which is both a common cause and the cause of my hereditary hearing loss. I believe all modern hearing aids provide noise reduction, which would help preserve the hearing of those playing in loud bands. Hearing aids now process multiple waves (up to 16 channels or more) and take just 20 milliseconds to decide what to do with a particular wave.

Bailey

Post by Bailey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Behind the ear has come a long ways in the past 5 years; the units are quite small and, as you say, the components can be changed out to help facilitate repairs, when needed.

I use CIC units because of vanity; that's the only reason. However, I see a lot of behind the ear units on people now and, if I were to go for another set, I would probably choose behind the ear.

I think that Starkey makes a very good product; but I think that a good audiologist is the single most important factor in getting a set of hearing aids that meet your particular needs.

Bailey

bchi123

Post by bchi123 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:35 am

I used to get some ear ringing in my right ear when I played in undergrad, but it was because of bad technique; when I practiced, I would hunch over with my head propped sideways facing the sound hole! :lol: But these days since I have corrected my posture, I have been to fortunately stop my ears from ringing.
When words leave off, music begins. ~Heinrich Heine

Bailey

Post by Bailey » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:34 am

You mean..........sort of like Picasso's Old Guitar Player............but a little more exagerated............... :wink:

Bailey

Hellohello

Post by Hellohello » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:10 am

David wrote:I too have Meniere's disease, the result is deafness in the right ear compounded by tinnitus. The most debilitating part is the vertigo which knocks me around a bit. It's probably more frightening for my family as there is little they can do during an attack. Thankfully my left ear is not affected at this stage.

There's a guitarist in Melbourne, Graham Trevor who is both blind and deaf - he was blind by 6 & then his hearing gradually worsened. In 2003 he underwent a bionic ear operation (cochlea implants) to restore some of his hearing. He plays at restaurants & even busks in Melbourne - it's an inspiring story.
Hi David
Can you please help me track down a copy of Graham Trevor's album - The Butterfly Catcher or let me know of someone who can help?
Thanks

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:56 pm

What?
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

David

Post by David » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:20 am

Hi David
Can you please help me track down a copy of Graham Trevor's album - The Butterfly Catcher or let me know of someone who can help?
Thanks
Hi

Owl mentioned the album was available from The Bionic Ear Institure. They are now called the Bionics Institute. They may be able to help you, but it's a long time ago.

Good luck, let us know if you obtain a copy.

David
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

Logan G

Post by Logan G » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:29 pm

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2010 (Happy to report cancer free now!!!!!) after 9 moths of intense chemotherapy, and a tandem bone marrow transplant I have neuropathy in both hands (that's for another thread :) ) and significant hearing loss in both ears but more so in my right. I got a hearing aid for my right ear, I was going to get one for the left as well but at $2800 a pop...AHEM...no. I can't wear it when I play because it makes the guitar sound horribly tinny. At first I thought it may have been the actual sound of the guitar because I was actually hearing it, but after asking some students they said my tone was fine. It stinks it really does but you learn to adapt. I listen a lot more closely now than ever before with regards to students and myself. It's just one of those things I guess!

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”