Anyone else have some hearing loss?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
eclipse

Re: Anyone else have some hearing loss?

Post by eclipse » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:49 am

Yes, there is definitely a different timber/tone to the guitar when practicing without the hearing aid (so it seems that we could be several different musicians all rolled up into one - not bad, huh!)

Am curious - how many of you PREFER to practice without the hearing aid(s) (or with the hearing aid(s)), and why?

wianno

Post by wianno » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:27 am

eclipse,

I have profound hearing loss beyond 1,000 MHz. A noticeable weakening of the signal begins at 880 MHz. The range of the guitar fits under this threshold. When I practice without my hearing aids, the sound is richer than with the aids, sadly reminding me of what has been lost forever.

Jack

kfman

Post by kfman » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:02 am

It seems that when I play without my hearing aids, the volume is cut in half. I have good digital hearing aids but I will never know what is really "normal." As long as I can hear with them, I will continue to play and love it just as much..

painter55

Post by painter55 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:02 pm

My hearing is normal despite years of playing (mostly the violin). The CG isn't so loud that it should damage hearing, but that's just my opinion. I have tinnitus, a ringing sound in my left ear. I notice it mostly in quiet rooms. The pitch is C on the 6th string in 5th position. Weird. I am a C.

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:15 pm

eclipse wrote: Am curious - how many of you PREFER to practice without the hearing aid(s) (or with the hearing aid(s)), and why?
Well, I can't hear a damn thing without it, so it would be a total waste of time for me, personally... :(

goldnspots

Post by goldnspots » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:06 pm

Same here. I can't hear a thing without my hearing aid. I have a BTE (behind the ear) digital hearing aid in my left ear, and a Cochlear Implant on my right side. Without either, I am completely deaf.

LEFT EAR:
WIth just the hearing aid alone I can hear some if I turn up the volume.

RIGHT SIDE:
With the CI alone I can hear but it sounds very electronic and higher than normal.

BOTH:
With both my hearing aid and my CI going, it is really amazing. I can hear the subtlest tone character changes clearly. I can hear both soft and loud sounds easily with great distinction.

However, with more than one instrument playing, I can't hear as well. The depth perception and direction is not there. It seems like my ears want to hear one or the other.

freestroke

Post by freestroke » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:13 pm

I did a search on "tinnitus" and found this thread. Some of you may be interested in:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8429715.stm
Hell is full of amateur musicians -- GB Shaw

Bonita

Post by Bonita » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:25 pm

My doctor says that my hearing is normal for my age, but I do have tinnitus in both ears, which manifests itself as a high pitched hum. I developed this after some serious ear infections more than 25 years ago, I hear it most in quiet environments and have learned to ignore it. For me at least it is not a big deal.

Deacon87

Post by Deacon87 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:57 pm

I was born with a severe hearing loss and have always worn hearing aids. My hearing loss is in the higher pitches and when I play without aids I can't hear all the notes so it just doesn't sound right. So I rarely play without aids. I'm due to get new aids this year - I'm looking forward to more gain in the high frequencies and bluetooth capabilities!

Don

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:17 pm

I am continually amazed that there are others out there like me, thanks to everyone for chiming in on this topic.
In another thread I pointed to this article, here it is again in case you missed it, I hope you will enjoy reading this:
http://www.charlesmokotoff.com/reviews/ ... e12_09.pdf

Charlie Schultz
Amateur luthier

Post by Charlie Schultz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:00 pm

So, I had my annual ear check up a month or so ago and everything is stable (on the borderline as far as aids go). I asked how the guitar would sound with hearing aids, and they said "richer and fuller". So is it worth the hassle?? I was told that they don't have "samples" since they're highly customized, but they have a one month return policy. As far as normal life goes, I get by 95% of the time ok.

goldnspots

Post by goldnspots » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:39 pm

Charlie,

What is your audiogram range? I think people at where you've stated just prefer to just play without hearing aids. The warm tones may be a bit lost and bright tones my be sharp. Depth of sound may also be a little lost with everything sounding right at surface level.

However, if you have particular ranges that are weak, hearing aids will help balance it out.

If you don't like string noise now, it will be double with hearing aids.

But if any curiosity exists, I would take them up on the one month return policy. You've got nothing to lose.

If in your day-to-day life you get by at 95%, you may not need the hearing aids. For a small amount of hearing loss, the initial cost, the up keep, batteries, and "trouble sounds" that you will get with hearing aids may not be worth it.

But having said that, I know what it's like to be deaf and return to the hearing world. In your case I would try it.
Last edited by goldnspots on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Charlie Schultz
Amateur luthier

Post by Charlie Schultz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:46 pm

I didn't take a copy of the audiogram, but basically it's a hump- the lows and highs are roll off quickly on both ears and it's been fairly stable since the surgeries in the '80s.

Raimundo104

Post by Raimundo104 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:45 pm

I had a hearing test yesterday, having been using hearing aids for 2 years and suffering from tinnitus for 25 years. My loss is severe from 1k, but lower frequencies are normal. I have ordered some new aids - the GN Resound ,Essence model.
My existing aids block the ears completely and amplify all sounds so the string squeeks are very loud so it is difficult to gauge what is normal. Like most people I prefer to practice without the aids.
This thread has been a great help.
Regards
David

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:51 am

Hi,

I haven't read this entire topic.
However my roommate uses lipo-flavinoid plus
and she says it helps her tinnitus.

My 2 cents.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”