shooting pain in left wrist

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
RedneckRondo

shooting pain in left wrist

Postby RedneckRondo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:20 pm

Is this carpal tunnel or RSI or what? I get a shooting, electric shocking pain in the middle of my wrist when playing certain pieces. Whenever my wrist turns from playing scales to a bar I get the pain. I think it is getting better, but I want to know if anybody else here has experienced this or something similar.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: shooting pain in left wrist

Postby GeoffB » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi RedneckRondo,

Welcome to the forum. I'll leave your question to the experts, who I'm sure will be along shortly. In the meantime could I invite you to call in at the Introduce Yourself section and tell us a few words about yourself, so we can give you a proper welcome and pass on a few tips on how to get the best out of the forum? Hope to see you there.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

AsturiasFan

Postby AsturiasFan » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:26 am

I have exactly the same thing. The electric shocks are never random and occur at precise points in a score where particular hand/wrist movements are made. Thankfully these are very rare and sometimes I can figure out another motion to avoid the shock. I'm pretty sure the shock is caused by a tendon grating against a nerve or a tendon suddenly releasing and snapping against the nerve. Since I don’t have any other wrist problems, I doubt that it is a serious condition. But if your shocks are very frequent, a visit to a physical therapist or doctor to learn wrist stretches might be in order.

RedneckRondo

Postby RedneckRondo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:48 pm

no, it is only in certain points like you said, and I think it is getting better, I realized I was pushing my wrist way to far out in front of the fretboard.

wianno

Postby wianno » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:56 pm

I'm working my way out of a similar problem by making sure that my left hand thumb only is used as a guide and not to grasp the neck. My solution is working.

Since you say that your pain only is noticed when you barre, I bet that you are applying pressure with your thumb rather than using the weight of your arm to fret the barre.

Relax.

Jack

RedneckRondo

Postby RedneckRondo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:44 pm

Yeah, now that you say that I realize that is exactly what I have been doing, and I have been trying to squeeze the guitar, using my thumb and fingers.

EDIT* Yes, I have just tried what you suggested and it seems my problems are solved, my barring is almost super easy and pain-free. Thanks wianno, that is the best piece of advice for playing the classical guitar I have ever recieved.

EDIT* So if I need extra pressure, should I use more of a pulling force with my arm?

wianno

Postby wianno » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:21 am

I think that your last question should be answered by a competent teacher or accomplished classical guitarist who is watching what you do as you play.

Jack

Stephanie Burnham

Postby Stephanie Burnham » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:29 am

I am getting shooting wrist pain too. As a matter of fact, my left wrist had shooting pain and my right arm was in pain. I wound up wearing an arm brace around my upper arm, and a full arm brace for my right arm. The pain went away after wearing the braces for several hours. I'll see if they return after I practice again.

ronjazz

Postby ronjazz » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:23 pm

Anybody experiencing these symptoms would be wise to get in touch with Jerald Harscher at thepoisedguitarist.com, he teaches via Skype and is the best diagnostician I have ever known in 50 years as a professional guitarist.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”