Little finger of right hand can play a lot!

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:46 pm

Arpeggio, tremolo, apoyando , rasgeado etc.
I'd better speak by music...Please listen it on Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc. Thanks!

Sean

Re: Little finger of right hand can play a lot!

Post by Sean » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:25 pm

Charles Postlewaite has a pretty reputable approach to the five fingers.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:34 pm

Well- good for him. I think it is very natural to do it.
I started to do it just by myself.
When I play on 7 string i use all 10 fingers. (Thumb on left as well)
The most interesting Little finger can do (as I think) it is apoyando with arpeggio by other fingers, artificial harmonics and tremolo peami
I'd better speak by music...Please listen it on Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc. Thanks!

jack_gvr

Post by jack_gvr » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Right, I started using the RH little finger when I was 16 and never looked back. What a waste if I hadn't developed it! LH thumb I use less, never in the old style on the low bass notes, but sometimes in very high positions, violoncello style.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:22 pm

jack_gvr wrote:Right, I started using the RH little finger when I was 16 and never looked back. What a waste if I hadn't developed it! LH thumb I use less, never in the old style on the low bass notes, but sometimes in very high positions, violoncello style.
Here the sample of music played using little finger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c5RbVQO ... annel_page

Sean

Post by Sean » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:12 am

andrei, how do you advise starting the little fella out? How long do you grow the nail on the little finger?

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:18 pm

Thanks for your questions Sean! Nail is app. the same as on other fingers (I cut my nails very short in oval form, but I use them all the time). I'll start with playing something simple, like Romanza for example, using little fingers to play melody start wtih tirando and when you feel comfortable I moved to apoyando. Also I'll play some arpeggios using it. And certainly harmonics. When one feel comfortable with it he can alternate between little and other fingers to achieve different colors of sound.

Sean

Post by Sean » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:53 am

Hey, I'm very interested in this. Using the little finger - does it reduce the tension of the right hand? I've always thought that if the pinky were given a job to do, it's movement would allow a reduction in the tension of the right had overall.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:58 pm

Sean wrote:Hey, I'm very interested in this. Using the little finger - does it reduce the tension of the right hand? I've always thought that if the pinky were given a job to do, it's movement would allow a reduction in the tension of the right had overall.
Hi Sean,
In my case it happened naturally - like your native lanquaqe - I did not really think a lot about it... I just use it. I don't pretend to be a great teacher therefore somebody else could explain it and justify it better than me.
I don't use all the time in all things, no. But where it want to play naturally, or in harmonics, or to alternate melody by apoyando of little finger, or in some arpeggios..
But because it happens naturally in my case I never analysed it and can't really give to somebody lessons about it...
I never really play any exercises for it too... I just use it...
But it is good to use it!

And regarding your question - yes I don't have any problem with my right hand because of guitar playing. Could it be because little finger? That's possible too.

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:12 am

I suppose that's what I'll do - get in there and put the little fella to use! :lol:

Jratwen

Post by Jratwen » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:00 pm

I am trying to to see if I can develop my little finger along with the others. I know that may seem of little value, but I suspect at this point, it will help balance out my right hand, even though I only use it presently on the Eliot Fisk finger rotation for the Segovia Scales. Don't know that I will ever progress to the the point that I will have the musical need to use it other than perhaps an occasional five note chord - but who knows? BTW - very impressive pinkie tremolo on that piece you posted Andrei.

Seems however that I have a tough time getting the pinky to move independent of the ring finger. I feel I have been able to work past this with the other three right hand fingers, but after working the pinky both on and away from the guitar the past week or so - seems I have had only limited effect - the ring finger still wants to move a good deal in sympathy with the pinky finger. Just curious if any of you have had good success overcoming this.

Thanks - Jim

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:58 am

Jratwen wrote:I am trying to to see if I can develop my little finger along with the others. I know that may seem of little value, but I suspect at this point, it will help balance out my right hand, even though I only use it presently on the Eliot Fisk finger rotation for the Segovia Scales. Don't know that I will ever progress to the the point that I will have the musical need to use it other than perhaps an occasional five note chord - but who knows? BTW - very impressive pinkie tremolo on that piece you posted Andrei.

Seems however that I have a tough time getting the pinky to move independent of the ring finger. I feel I have been able to work past this with the other three right hand fingers, but after working the pinky both on and away from the guitar the past week or so - seems I have had only limited effect - the ring finger still wants to move a good deal in sympathy with the pinky finger. Just curious if any of you have had good success overcoming this.

Thanks - Jim
Thanks for your comment John!
Yes I can move and use a little finger independently but certainly he is not as powerful as other fingers... I use it in tremolo, rasgueado, tirando and apoyando. I like to play apoyando in one phrase with a - finger and in repetition with e - finger (little).
I did some exercises to develop it but I'm lucky too - it is almost as long as first finger from nature... and I had trauma a while ago and for one year was forced to use it instead of a -finger in all techniques .
Good luck!

Jratwen

Post by Jratwen » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:10 am

Thanks Andrei - I have been experimenting some with the pinky independence some and feel I am seeing some limited results. Encouraging to have your confirmation. Fun to experiment anyways and who knows, may pay off in the future.

Yes - I have noticed your long pinky fingers in your videos and am jealous with my short pinkies :mrgreen: , your fingers look like they were made for playing guitar. Oh well, Oh well, I guess we all do with what we got :D

Thank You - Jim

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:31 pm

Jim!
Good luck with your experiments!!

GEO

Post by GEO » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:22 pm

The Norwegian guitarist Anders Clemens Oien uses the RH pinky. You can see his technique on his DVD "Guitar Recital Live", produced by guitarmania. His RH position definitely is altered to accommodate the pinky. I didn't realize at first that he was using the pinky and I wondered why his was playing with that sort of RH position--until I looked more closely. :roll:

geo
(US) (GER) The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own - Disraeli

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”