Little finger of right hand can play a lot!

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
clamenco
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:30 am
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Little finger of right hand can play a lot!

Post by clamenco » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:28 pm

Doesn't Kazuhito Yamashita use his pinky for tremolo quite a bit?
2004 Sasa Radicic SD44
2006 Cordoba 45FP

Luis_Br
Posts: 2201
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:50 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Little finger of right hand can play a lot!

Post by Luis_Br » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:07 pm

clamenco wrote:Doesn't Kazuhito Yamashita use his pinky for tremolo quite a bit?
Yes, for special effects in his demanding arrangements and transcriptions. He plays Recuerdos with regular ami technique, he plays fast scales with ai or ami, no pinky and no "dedillo". I've whatched him live in concert and If you search youtube for his Bach or regular repertoire, you will hardly find him using the pinky. I know some players that can play quite well with the pinky, but I haven't found any of them really using the pinky regularly and treating it to a similar level of the other fingers in final performance. They only use pinky when it is really not possible with other fingers, like for treating some special issue. I am not against it. But one thing is to use it sometimes, another thing is to rely on it a high-end, consistent and underpressure concert performance. Several players even avoid use of "a" finger when possible, for a concert reliable rendition. Several people does not like Yamashita in performance because he is not clean and has some confusing phrasing. I think he has other nice things and I enjoyed his concerts. Finally, I think the best solution is the one that works...

User avatar
AndreiKrylov
Posts: 1760
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada, USA, Mexico, Portugal, Spain

Re: Little finger of right hand can play a lot!

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:44 pm

Luis_Br wrote:
clamenco wrote:Doesn't Kazuhito Yamashita use his pinky for tremolo quite a bit?
Yes, for special effects in his demanding arrangements and transcriptions. He plays Recuerdos with regular ami technique, he plays fast scales with ai or ami, no pinky and no "dedillo". I've whatched him live in concert and If you search youtube for his Bach or regular repertoire, you will hardly find him using the pinky. I know some players that can play quite well with the pinky, but I haven't found any of them really using the pinky regularly and treating it to a similar level of the other fingers in final performance. They only use pinky when it is really not possible with other fingers, like for treating some special issue. I am not against it. But one thing is to use it sometimes, another thing is to rely on it a high-end, consistent and underpressure concert performance. Several players even avoid use of "a" finger when possible, for a concert reliable rendition. Several people does not like Yamashita in performance because he is not clean and has some confusing phrasing. I think he has other nice things and I enjoyed his concerts. Finally, I think the best solution is the one that works...
I started this theme and use pinky all the time.
But seems like you're not consider me as a player at all.. Thanks! :D
I'd better speak by music...Please listen it on Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc. Thanks!

Luis_Br
Posts: 2201
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:50 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Little finger of right hand can play a lot!

Post by Luis_Br » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:18 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:I started this theme and use pinky all the time.
But seems like you're not consider me as a player at all.. Thanks! :D
I only considered great players I've already heard in a real live performance, not through youtube or any recordings. And I would say some that seem great on the CD sounded not so well and sometmes a bit disapointing in a real concert situation. The opposite is also true. Yamashita, for example, sounded much better live than on the CD.

User avatar
AndreiKrylov
Posts: 1760
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada, USA, Mexico, Portugal, Spain

Re: Little finger of right hand can play a lot!

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:22 pm

I gave up on this theme. If you do not use pinky then please do not use it. Thank you.
I'd better speak by music...Please listen it on Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc. Thanks!

Luis_Br
Posts: 2201
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:50 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Little finger of right hand can play a lot!

Post by Luis_Br » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:20 am

If you start a topic you should be prepared to see several opinions. It seems you want to convert people to your ideas, but as you see it is not quite that easy. I don't want to convert nobody, I just tell my experience or what I think. If you read some posts before I said I actually use the pinky, I just don't use it "a lot" and I tried to explain my reasoning for that option, but I don't ask anybody to follow me or agree with me.

User avatar
AndreiKrylov
Posts: 1760
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada, USA, Mexico, Portugal, Spain

Re: Little finger of right hand can play a lot!

Post by AndreiKrylov » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:31 pm

"you want to convert people to your ideas"
That is at least misunderstanding, but more likely something else.
I never wanted to convert anybody to anything.
I just shared my positive experience.
I am not a professor in school with many pupils who have to follow their teacher in all what he said to them... I have no any authority here, nor pupils, not even many people who respect or care about my opinion.
I just tried to have a polite rational discussion about subject.
In return I accused in different sins .

I repeat - I do not want "to convert" anybody to anything.
In this case - If you or anybody else do not use pinky then please do not use it. Pleeeease!!
Thank you!

I just shared my positive experience.
Please do everything as you like, as you feel right, as you wish etc.

And I will do my things as I like and feel right.

You do not care about my experience - I do not care about yours.
Peace and love!
Everybody happy!
Thanks!
I'd better speak by music...Please listen it on Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc. Thanks!

Luis_Br
Posts: 2201
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:50 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Little finger of right hand can play a lot!

Post by Luis_Br » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:05 pm

No intention to be unpolite, just then you don't have a reason to give up writing your ideas...
When you quote mysefl it seems you got upset with what I wrote. Contrary to what you think, I read them and think about them, I just don't agree with everything and I try to put my own experience to whoever care.

User avatar
AndreiKrylov
Posts: 1760
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada, USA, Mexico, Portugal, Spain

Re: Little finger of right hand can play a lot!

Post by AndreiKrylov » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:41 pm

OK Luis. Then it is probably misunderstanding. Lets continue discuss this matter with mutual respect.
I'd better speak by music...Please listen it on Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc. Thanks!

Luis_Br
Posts: 2201
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:50 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Little finger of right hand can play a lot!

Post by Luis_Br » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:29 pm

No problem. Sorry if I may sound disrespectful, sometimes I just quickly write some opinion without thinking too much, because I have short time to write. I may also use some wrong English word to express, since it is not my mothertongue. Despite I may not agree with everything I think you are an important active member here.

User avatar
AndreiKrylov
Posts: 1760
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada, USA, Mexico, Portugal, Spain

Re: Little finger of right hand can play a lot!

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:56 pm

Luis_Br wrote:No problem. Sorry if I may sound disrespectful, sometimes I just quickly write some opinion without thinking too much, because I have short time to write. I may also use some wrong English word to express, since it is not my mothertongue. Despite I may not agree with everything I think you are an important active member here.
Thanks Louis ! I could do exactly the same things because of the same reason... But it is nice that we try to understand each other and treat each other kindly, even maintaining our own opinions too. :merci:
I'd better speak by music...Please listen it on Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc. Thanks!

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”