Worst injury to hands - What did you do.

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
at_leo_87

Re: Worst injury to hands - What did you do.

Post by at_leo_87 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:15 pm

RacerXen wrote:If any of you ever have problems like this contact me, I just helped a friend through something similar and got good results.
Gio
racerxen,
i had surgery on my right hand pink to reconnect a tendon and nerve and on my ring finger to fix the nerve. i was in a cast for three months. my fingers and wrist wont bend back as far as it used to. i've been doing some exercises but have not been dedicated enough. do you have any suggestions?

watfordjc

Post by watfordjc » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:15 pm

When I worked at a supermarket several years ago I got my hand crushed between two roll cages. After an hour I said ouch and had to go to the hospital (delayed reaction). That seemed to heal OK but a week later it got infected, probably was off work for a month.

Oh, and I almost cut my thumb completely off when I was a child between the nail and knuckle. It was hanging on by the skin on the other side side and a little bit of muscle. My uncle just wrapped it up and didn't bother taking me to the hospital... think he said "it's only a cut"! :shock:

Those are the only big ones I can remember (both to right hand), but I had many minor injuries when I worked on the produce department (of another supermarket). The number of times my fingers ended up being wedged between cases of 20+ kilos of vegetables... not sure if that was more painful than dropping 100 kilos of spuds on my toe though. :(

sparrowhawk

Post by sparrowhawk » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:18 am

I can' believe the things some people have done to their hands! Worst thing I ever did was
break both wrists (left when I was 8, right when I was 30) Left never gave me a bit of trouble
since, but the right wrist is still painful sometimes, aches a bit. Doctor said it will probably develop arthritis
later.

When my son was getting serious about music (he is a pianist) I decided I should keep him away from potentially
dangerous activities. Happily he was never interested in sports anyway. He started tai chi at 12 and loves it (he is 19 now).
It is a most complementary exercise for musicians.

roguetwanger

Post by roguetwanger » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Rugby: crushed right little finger
Skiing: Snowboarder went over my skis, dislocated right thumb
Motorcycle: broke left wrist
Horse riding: perilunate dislocation right wrist
Wart: tip of left 3

The wart was the most problematic!

mlmijyd

Post by mlmijyd » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:47 pm

I injured both the tendons of my thumbs (pushed back too far)that should have had surgury but I stupidly didn't have it and now I suffer with aching hands mostly in my left but I can still play and I just hav to rest. Pieces like Cavatina can be a pain because of the Barra's and I find the piece I've been working on Cordoba sometimes causes problems but you just accept this and try to relax and rest where you can in these pieces.
Christopher Dean 2003 amazing sound!

RobertoIG

Post by RobertoIG » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:58 am

At the time when i was learning to play guitar (first months) i suddenly found myself in the middle of a fight :shock: ...
i was trying to separate two of my sister´s guinea pigs that were fighting, but one of them bit me so hard in my left hand´s index finger that i think i got to see my bone! :aide: , so i tried to stop the bleeding (and put everything back inside my finger..haha) and we went to the hospital.
I didn´t play guitar for a week, but i really wanted to learn to play guitar so in the next month i played guitar without using my index finger. I only played simple songs (using basic chords), but this really helped me to develop strenght in my other fingers.

In a few months my finger was ok :)
Last edited by RobertoIG on Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:23 am

at_leo_87 wrote:i had surgery on my right hand pink to reconnect a tendon and nerve and on my ring finger to fix the nerve. i was in a cast for three months. my fingers and wrist wont bend back as far as it used to. i've been doing some exercises but have not been dedicated enough. do you have any suggestions?
Your doctor should have recommended occupational therapy. You say you haven't been dedicated enough? I really, really wanted to play again more than anything. I did all the exercises my therapist gave me and then some.

I hate to bring this up, but in many cases (like mine), even the best surgery and therapy won't make you 100% again. :(

JeffR

Post by JeffR » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:05 pm

I smashed my right index finger while wrapped around a crowbar on a door frame. We were ripping out walls in my sister's house and I swung and hit the top of the frame with my finger under the bar. I also was writing music for a television recording session later that week and had to copy the parts, (before computers), and that was no fun. Being the guitar player on the session I wrote myself almost nothing to play, so that worked out better than it might have.

jbtaylor892

Post by jbtaylor892 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:49 am

GuitaristOrdinate wrote:
jbtaylor892 wrote:Back in 2005, while we were back in Africa, I was electrocuted. We used transformers to convert 220 into 110 voltage but the transformers were a little weird. The chords had two prongs on either side of it. So what happened to me was the end that plugged into the transformer fell out and it was still plugged into the wall socket so when I went to plug it back in I accidently touched the metal prongs... a mistake I wont soon be forgetting. The thing basically blasted a whole into my palm and out my pinky finger right by the nail. That was in the left hand. I couldn't bend that hand for weeks after that. I didn't play the guitar at the time so I wasn't missing out on to much......

JB
Maybe that's why your classical guitar playing is so electrifying now JB . ( I'm sorry I just couldn't resist . :D )

Ed

Haha I was waiting for someone to say something like that ;)

JB

at_leo_87

Post by at_leo_87 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:15 am

JQ. wrote:
at_leo_87 wrote:i had surgery on my right hand pink to reconnect a tendon and nerve and on my ring finger to fix the nerve. i was in a cast for three months. my fingers and wrist wont bend back as far as it used to. i've been doing some exercises but have not been dedicated enough. do you have any suggestions?
Your doctor should have recommended occupational therapy. You say you haven't been dedicated enough? I really, really wanted to play again more than anything. I did all the exercises my therapist gave me and then some.

I hate to bring this up, but in many cases (like mine), even the best surgery and therapy won't make you 100% again. :(

i did go through occupational therapy and passed with flying colors. she said i was their "superstar" because i did so well. lol. but my hand is still not like it used to be. what i meant by not being dedicated enough was that i wasn't dedicated enough to my own post-occupational therapy plan.

i asked my doctor about this and she said my expectations are too high because even with an injury, im still more flexible than 90% of people.

Bentkey

Post by Bentkey » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:35 pm

About 10 years into my hiatus from playing classical guitar after playing for around 15 years, I was working in the garage with my drill press. Now I know to clamp the work to the press, but this oddly shaped motor mount I was drilling came loose from the clamp and started to spin. When it did, a notch in the mount just the size of my left index finger grabbed my finger on it's way around in such a way that the pull drew my finger in and tightened it's grip. The momentum of the press is far to great to stop so my whole hand and arm were pulled around the spinning press until it could go no further and I could hear all three knuckles of my left index pop as they were dislocated, at that point the flesh that the notch had caught tore away and the finger was released. As I stood horrified but lucky to still have a hand let alone a finger attached, the only thing I could think about was would I ever be able to play classical guitar again. Odd, since I hadn't played for so long. The finger was starting to numb and I knew it would swell immediately so I performed a few little tests on it while I still could. I found I could move it through a full range, the joints felt intact, they had all popped back by themselves. So I relaxed a bit and watched it swell. It was the size of a big fat cigar in seconds. The swelling acted like a splint and there was simply no flexing that finger for weeks. It was fun showing it to people though. The pain didn't fully go away for a couple of years, it was mostly ok, but if I struck the finger even lightly in just the wrong way it was excruciating. It's a darn good thing I wasn't playing guitar at the time because I certainly couldn't have played and that would have been devastating. When I finally did start playing the guitar again this was constantly on my mind but now after 2 and a half years of regular daily practice of 2 hours or more I have had no symptoms at all. So, I think the (no operation) was a success and the natural miracle of healing was enough. Funny how sometimes people can do something so minor and yet be devastated by it and sometimes we can do things so devastating and yet come out ok.

fazley

Post by fazley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:38 am

Thanks for all your replies. I guess if there is one thing I've learnt, it is not to take my fingers for granted. It is so frustrating when you want to play and cannot do so.

ResIpsa

Post by ResIpsa » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:11 pm

I broke my scaphoid on my left wrist for while attempting a jump down 6 stairs on a skateboard, I was put into a cast for 2 months straight, couldn't play for about a month and a half after, couldn't do sports for about 3 months after that ^^

Fabbri

Post by Fabbri » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:22 pm

Until I read these scary stories I was feeling sorry for myself, having taken a trivial bite out of my left index finger with pruning shears. As Crocodile Dundee would say, 'Call that an injury...?'

The thought that occurs as I contemplate my bandaged finger and unused guitar is HOW DID DJANGO COPE? Are there any extant scores showing his fingering?

Bonita

Post by Bonita » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm

Wow, and I get upset about a bit of a bang or a paper or aluminum foil cut!

My heartfelt sympathy to all who have suffered real injuries.

Despite having nothing catastrophic happen to my hands (thank goodness!), I have had a number of repetitive use (or maybe just overwork) issues. I have had surgery on two fingers and a thumb to release tendons that had gotten stuck in the ring of bone they pass through (consists of opening up the circle of bone) to relieve "locked thumb" and "locked finger". On the same thumb whereI had surgery for the stuck tendon I had another surgery to remove an arthritic node that was hurting like heck. That thumb (the right one) has a lump where the tendon was released and an even uglier lump where the arthritic node was removed but the thumb does not hurt and the mobility seems fine.

I think I may have said this before, but I was told by my family doctor that all hand injuries/surgeries should be handled by a plastic surgeon specializing in hands because of the incredible complexity of the bones, muscle, tendons, blood vessels--hands are truly a wonder to behold! :chitarrista:

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”