Worst injury to hands - What did you do.

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Joseph Ehrenpreis

Re: Worst injury to hands - What did you do.

Post by Joseph Ehrenpreis » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:16 am

I squished my left wrist longboarding, it turned out that weening myself back onto a practice schedule was the best therapy I could give my wrist. It's 100% healed and functioning normally now.

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:54 pm

Joseph Ehrenpreis wrote:I squished my left wrist longboarding
Longboarding? Surfboard or skateboard?

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:08 am

Once, 15 years ago, I've been cleansing roof of my house from fallen leaves.
I used broom for that and broom suddenly fell down. It was a small part of roof with some leaves left and I did not want to go down for the broom and finished cleaning with my hands.
I had thick working gloves on them. My hands are very fast, so I suddenly felt that I hit something. It was a sharp sharp piece of metal... like knife, it cut through my glove and right through my finger (a) and cut my (a) fingernail in half right in the middle, right through the bone. It was painful and I was crying ... but not because of pain, but because I was the only worker in my family of 4... And life is expensive in Canada and I was need to work, to play gigs... I put some bandage on it and in same week I was working like that.
For one year (it took so long to heal) I managed to play not using (a) finger at all.
I replaced it with (e) pinky finger, and adjust my right hand technique as I could.
People sometimes notice my bandage, but never notice any changes in sound...
The shape of my fingernail changed since then... not to the better, but I manage :)
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

bear

Post by bear » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:54 pm

I just saw this thread and couldn't resist.
My left hand: I grew up in a tough neighborhood and while the other guys were shooting hoops, I would keep their girlfriends entertained. The result was numerous fights. The tendon of my index finger was sliced by a knife at the metacarpophalangeal joint. Another fight resulted in a knife penetrating the palm of my hand with the point passing through the hand coming out the back between the ring finger and the pinky. Another fight, another stab wound, this one sliced a 2 inch gash at the base of my thumb to my wrist. During the fights and martial arts training I've managed to break most of my knuckles repeatedly. About 2 years ago I was nailing a shoe onto a horse's hind foot. I was holding the shoe in place with my left lower 3 fingers and holding the nail in place with my left index and thumb. I had already put 1 nail into the hoof. The horse lost he balance and slammed her hoof into the ground. My left middle finger got caught between the hoof and the shoe and was partially amputated. When I freed my hand the finger was hanging by a bit of skin just above the proximal interphalangeal joint. They were able to reattach it.
In chapter 2, I will discuss my right hand.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Mick the Ramirez Man

Post by Mick the Ramirez Man » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:36 pm

In June of 2009 I dislocated the ring finger of my right hand at the 2nd knuckle. I tripped in a confined hallway at work, and I fell. It was kind of surrealistic, and seemed like it was happening in slow motion at the time. Anyway, that finger was pointing straight at my pinky. I didn't take my gloves off because I was afraid to look at it. My oldest daughter drove me to the hospital and they were afraid to x-ray it because they thought the bone might pierce the skin. Lots of fun when they put it back in place ... my daughter said I was brave but I looked like I was riding a bicycle with my legs when they were putting it back in joint ...

I'm fine now and it doesn't affect my finger work on the Classical Guitar at all.
:chaud:
Ramirez 4NE, Ramirez R4 and Ramirez R1

jfdana

Post by jfdana » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:59 am

On June 15th, 1990, I fell 35' in a housecleaning accident (Could make for a useful phobia).

I landed on my r hand under my r pelvis, smashing the 4th and 5th metacarpals into dust (OK, slight exaggeration: twizzly spiral fractures). Then pivoted onto my back, much as a runner landing on the heel then slapping onto the ball of the foot. Compression fractures t4/5.

I remember telling the doc that I play guitar, and him casting the hand as best he could, with the caveat that there's really no way to tell until the bones heal. I do remember later sitting up to play with the cast, fingers sticking out just for the end two joints (kind of like a crab trying to play). I could manage perhaps 10 minutes before the pain flattened me (when you break your back gravity decidedly is not your friend).

Six weeks later, time for the medical-mini-circular-saw. I remember wondering how he knew how deep to cut without slicing through skin. Practice, I guess. When the cast came off, there was still a bunch of grass stuck to my prunely wrinkled skin.

At first I could barely move my fingers: making a right angle from the 2d joint was a strain; touching finger tips to the palm a scifi dream ("Tin man plays guitar!"). So I worked daily on increasing range of motion. Sadly, washing dishes in hot water was the recommended treatment. I washed a lot of dishes.

After about 6 months I knew my hand would recover (I appreciate honesty from a doc: his guess was "impossible to know, but I did the best I could").

Now, almost 13 years later, my A finger is about 3/8s short for which I easily compensate by growing that nail longer. By a happy twist of fate, my nails tend to be flat, so I keep the other nails quite short (another story), but my A nail is gloriously round and could probably stick out a whole inch and glide smoothly over the strings.

JD

oski79

Post by oski79 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:43 am

Holy crap, JD... That's really scary. Glad to hear you recovered so completely.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Don Asay

Post by Don Asay » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:26 pm

Let say first off, that I admire how many of you have managed to come back from some pretty serious injuries. Your stories make feel like I maybe I will recover, if I persevere. I've had a few cuts that took out multiple fingers on one hand or the other. Thank goodness for the recorder. I got pretty good at a number of baroque pieces waiting for things to heal. Playing Bach's Jesu was literally "Joy" to me.
Several years ago, I dislocated my right index finger while remodeling my house. I remember my fingernail hitting the back of my hand and my finger sticking out at an odd angle. I quickly grabbed it with my left hand and pulled out and let it come back to what should have been normal position. But since then, it goes toward my palm at an odd angle and the large knuckle tends to collide with my middle finger. I could not play many of the pieces I normally played before the injury and so I played very little for several years after that. (I did not play much classical back then - I mostly accompanied myself singing.)
If you've read this far there is one more chapter, perhaps the most life altering. I was diagnosed with late stage cancer three years ago, with less than 10% chance of survival. I underwent aggressive chemo therapy and radiation. The cancer had started to spread, so the surgeon did not remove the primary tumor. This allowed me to start radiation treatment sooner. I am still alive three years later, so my odds are greatly improved. The treatments affected my skin, making it too fragile to fret a guitar, steel string or nylon. About four months after I completed my treatments, I starting playing nylon string guitar.
Chemotherapy also causes lasting nerve damage, numbness and tingling in the extremities and ringing in the ears. My dexterity seems to have been affected as well. And my energy level has been diminished: chronic fatigue.
My CG progress has been slow, but I continue to plug away at it.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed May 08, 2013 6:55 am

Luckily not much yet, touch laminate!
When I was six I lost the end of the middle finger of my left hand when someone slammed a window on it, but it got sewn back on and it has never affected my music, well not much - the nail is a bit deformed and bulbous, so I have to be careful that adjacent strings don't touch it.
And last year I accidentally took the tip off the little finger of my left hand with a potato peeler, but it has grown back.
Now I remember I once fell over skiing on ice and landed on one of my thumbs and bent it back. Luckily I didn't break it, but I couldn't feel it for an hour.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Brett Burgoyne

Post by Brett Burgoyne » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:11 am

I've been playing guitar for about 13 years. This quote is from my introductory post in when I joined this site:
Brett Burgoyne wrote: Over this 13 year span I have had a few injuries that have set me back and have had a hard time keeping up with the guitar. I broke my right arm 3 times and had 2 reparative surgeries (now have 2 plates and 11 screws in my wrist). Playing guitar has been an incredibly fun hobby for me and it was difficult each time to have to take breaks from my playing. Sometimes my injury causes pain when playing but I still keep at it because I love the guitar.
As for the injuries, they are all a result of skateboarding. I actively skated for a few years, the first break was when I was in middle school (1999), The second break was in high school (2001) and the latest was outside of high school (2007, by this time a skateboard was a mode of transportation and no longer a leisure activity). All three times, I broke both the Ulna and Radius. The first and third occasion were when I had the surgeries. With my first break they put small plates and screws, on the third occasion they removed the hardware and replaced them with longer plates and many more screws. As a result of these injuries I have have some pain and soreness in my right arm, and my wrist/forearm and noticeably crooked. My arm kind of bows outward and I probably have 75% of my range in wrist movement ( I cannot twist my arm to be palm up without pain and moving my elbow to an odd angle. My actual wrist joint always feels displaced and will pain me until I pop it (which only lasts for a short time and then I have to do it again). I've taken a few short breaks from guitar around the times of my injuries because it was difficult and painful to play. I play very often now and with minimal problems.

I broke my right hand index finger in the elementary/primary/fifth grade playing basketball. It was swollen like an enormous sausage, the scary part is that the doctor pretty much told me that it was probably going to lose almost all of its range and be stuck straight (It healed fantastically and doesn't pain me, it just looks a wee bit crooked).

On top of that I have back problems, I don't know what caused them but I have bad posture. I don't have insurance so I don't have many details, but they say I have lumbar lordosis, which is an excess curvature in my spine. It leaves me with aches and pains and I assume it will just get progressively worse. I'm only 26, so that means I've probably got a lot of pain to look forward to in the coming years.

Edit: other injuries include dislocated shoulder and ankle. Was hit by a car, twice, while crossing streets (not my fault, was in crosswalk and had the walk signal. some people don't look to their right when making right turns at lights), one of the times resulted in a bad knee injury.

bear

Post by bear » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:54 pm

Chapter 2: (see previous post for left hand and background) Right hand – I was shot in my right arm (and above left eye). I have a small ½ inch scar on my right thumb from a knife fight. The knuckles in my hand have all been broken. The knuckle in my pinky was broken so many times that the finger is twisted and in the “normal” position there is a 2 inch space between it and my ring finger. I have 2 knife wounds on the back of my hand. In 1980, I was building a house, by myself. It was a 2 story, 2400 sq. ft., with cathedral ceilings on the second floor. I was on an aluminum ladder about 20 ft. off the ground. An engineer later said there was either metal fatigue or impurities in the manufacturing process. The ladder broke. While falling, my right arm caught between the rungs. I landed on the ground and the heel of my right hand was about 1 in. from my elbow. My forearm had essentially disappeared. I reached around with my left hand to the back of my elbow and the radius and ulna were sticking out. I grab the end of the 2 bones and pulled them back toward the elbow. I then grabbed my left wrist and pulled it to what I thought was its proper position. I drove to the hospital and a surgeon removed as many of the shattered pieces as he could as well as the inner aspect of the elbow joint. I was awake during the surgery and could see was a mess I made.

Brett Burgoyne

Post by Brett Burgoyne » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:55 pm

This is a picture from the 3rd time I broke my arm, all three times it looked like this:

**Not exactly for people that may be squeamish**

kechance

Post by kechance » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:33 pm

I was recently at a week long guitar seminar. These usually are a week of instruction and practicing with a performance at the end. On the night before my performance, I tripped and dislocated my left hand middle finger at the second joint. The upper part of the middle finger was bent across the ring and pinky.

What would the doctor do, I asked myself? He'd yank it back into place...which I did. Wow - did that ever hurt. But I slept with the hand in an elevated position, and all the next day kept it in warm water to maintain the limberness. And that night I played...

The audience said the music was nice, but why is your finger green?

I'm into my third week of recovery now. I have to avoid tough grips and vibrato on that middle finger. I think it'll be a few weeks, but the recovery stories of many here give me optimism.

James A. Showalter
Student of the online lessons

Post by James A. Showalter » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:12 pm

This appears to be a dead thread as nobody has been pained enough to contribute for a while. That's a good thing.

I just started into classical guitar and found this wonderful resource. I am beginning the lessons at the D01 level and developing a modified technique for play due to my right wrist being fused. The why of it is not as remarkable as some of these tales but I did manage to live and played hard with a broken wrist for 26 years. My problem was finally understood in 2002 and the wrist was fused. So I've been learning to live with the fusion for a while. After reading what so many of you have gone through I think it will just be a minor inconvenience. My goal is to play.
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J-40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul

bear

Post by bear » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:06 pm

James A. Showalter wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:12 pm
This appears to be a dead thread as nobody has been pained enough to contribute for a while. That's a good thing.
That only because my wife keeps me from doing anything stupid. She's the only person that I've ever been afraid of.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”