Worst injury to hands - What did you do.

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
James A. Showalter
Student of the online lessons

Re: Worst injury to hands - What did you do.

Post by James A. Showalter » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:04 pm

All fearless men who manage to survive to maturity do so through the guidance of a strong woman.
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J-40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul

Pje53

Post by Pje53 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:59 pm

I caught the little fingure of my left hand in the spinning drive centre of my woodturning lathe. I had to go to hospital and have it repaired by a plastic surgeon. Luckily I had only partly cut through the tendon and he was able to save it, otherwise I would never have been able play my guitar again.

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:28 am

My nephew did something like that. Ended up with limited motion of his annular and pincky fingers on the right hand. Like myself with my fused wrist he's adopted a modified form of play. It's amazing how the whole body can re-wire to meet new challenges. I heard the story of Les Paul in his old age. He was involved in a serious auto accident and shattered his right shoulder and arm. The doctor told him that his only recourse was to fuse the bones together which would limit the use of the arm. He told the doctor to proceed but told him the angle he wanted it fused so that he could continue to play guitar. I saw a video of him playing near the end of his life and sure enough the arm was set in that one position. He was flat-picking but it was pretty serious play. There was no doubt he could finger-pick it too.
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:23 pm

What a morbid topic for such a beautiful autumn day! Worthy of a Hungarian!

I have broken all of my fingers at least once, with the exception of my LH little finger....mostly as a kid, via car doors or stacking wood. (3x RH thumb, 2X RH index finger and LH thumb.)

But the worst was when I broke my RH scaphoid at work. The pieces weren't growing together properly, and I was in a cast for a full year...January to the following January. I was hooked up to one of those clunky Electro-magnetic bone growth stimulators. From what I understand, it was relatively new technology at the time. I couldn't even hold my guitar, much less play it. This accident was the catalyst for my decision to devote myself to classical guitar. Seriously, the guitar was what I had missed the most!

cheers!
dirck
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:01 pm

Well Dirck, at least you recovered from your scaphoid fracture fairly actionable. I can't complain either because I am still able to practice guitar. It's somewhat of a challenge for me and even the moderators on the lesson forum who try to get us into proper form. I fractured my scaphoid in the military in 1976 which was initially misdiagnosed. Then I went 26 years with it broken before I figured out what really happened. By then fusion of the wrist was the only option. So I'm learning a modified form of classical guitar. I'm no Hungarian but I am committed to learning classical guitar even if I have to use my toes to play. Now that's a morbid visual. I have ugly toes.
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”