Tips for adjusting the ErgoPlay Troster support

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Trev

Tips for adjusting the ErgoPlay Troster support

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:00 am

Despite my previous posts where I indicated a preference for the Gitano support over any of the ErgoPlay models, I finally decided to try an ErgoPlay Troster support. Up until now I have always been put off by the appearance of the ErgoPlay supports, and the need to constantly attach and removed them. However, I have since learned that the ErgoPlay supports are incredibly stable, and despite these drawbacks I intend to keep using one.

I chose the Troster support specifically for its increased adjustment potential, though before buying it I had come across a few threads here where people felt that it raised the guitar too high. When I first started to experiment with the Troster, I found the number of possible adjustments to be a bit overwhelming, and I could not find any good information on how to go about adjusting it. I'm starting this thread to share some adjustment tips that I have learned through trial and error, and I'm really hoping that others will chime in with additional tips.

Height adjustment: Like others before me, my initial reaction to the Troster was that I just could not get the guitar low enough. The biggest single adjustment that helped with this was to make use of the slotted tracks that the suction cups ride in. By experimenting with different angles for the arm that attaches to the guitar nearest to the lower bout, I was able to find a position that placed the guitar low enough for me. In my case, this arm of the support is nearly perpendicular to the side of the guitar.

In/out angle of the guitar: Here, I'm referring to what happens when you pull the head of the guitar back, or push it forward, not the vertical tilt of the guitar. What helped most with this was the position of the adjustment knob within the sliding track attached to the plate that sits on your thigh (the inner track). Placing the adjustment knob higher in that track will move that part of the guitar away from your body, and moving it lower will move that part of the guitar towards your body.

Tilt: Tilt is adjusted by changing the angle formed by the intersection of the arm that attaches to the guitar (outer arm), and the other arm that extends up from the thigh plate (inner arm).

I hope this information is helpful. Please share any additional tips that you may have!

Aadi

Re: Tips for adjusting the ErgoPlay Troster support

Post by Aadi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:15 am

I use a Troster. I'm a fairly long fellow and I prefer a high upper bout and a severe angle, so the long arm on my Troster is about 60% extended (upwards) and the short arm is completely retracted. Here's how I set it: first, I inspected the thing and fiddled around with it a bit to achieve an understanding of its possibilities. Then I loosened the wing nuts and attached the Troster to my guitar. Next, with my left hand I held the guitar in the most comfortable position and adjusted the loosey-goosey Troster with my right until it was oriented correctly. Then I tightened everything down and have never adjusted it again.

kkruecke

Post by kkruecke » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:06 pm

I know that GFA winner Johannes Möller, as seen this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=praAVyA-NKA, sometimes uses the Ergoplay. It shows his wife also plays with both feet on the floor--with a Gitano? Johannes has the guitar placed higher than I find comfortable.

After reading the above post, I tried to adjust my Tröster to a lower position, but I finally just have up. A taller chair seemed the easiest way to achieve this.

WilliamJohnston

Post by WilliamJohnston » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:55 pm

As a guy of 6 foot 4, I have had to overcome struggles with posture and seating position. If foot stool provides the most stable support for the guitar with the most contact points, I'd need to stack one on top of the other before getting the right height, and I'm pretty sure I'm no where near flexible enough for that.

I moved to the troster earlier this year from the ordinary ergo play support to good success, I think it was the added parameters that allowed me to hone in on the exact position I needed for optimal posture.

Here's the difference between the new troster taken this year compared with one taken over three years ago with the old support... It's not totally fair to say that it's all down to making that one change because I've made countless changes to my technique etc since then, but it's a funny comparison to see how much things can change!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
How do you become a millionaire playing jazz?

Start off as a billionaire!

Mark Featherstone

Post by Mark Featherstone » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:26 pm

I've just posted this image on another thread, but it's relevant here too. This is how I have my Ergoplay Troester set up. I love it!
Cheers,
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Francisco Navarro Concert Classical, cedar top, 630 mm scale, 50 mm nut

"The trouble with normal is it always gets worse."
Bruce Cockburn

Joseph Gontarek

Post by Joseph Gontarek » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:16 pm

Being new to classical guitar I am not sure I know what I want yet. But I purchased one of these as I noticed some slight back pain when trying to raise my foot after a few hours of practice. I seem to have the same problem with wanting the guitar lower. Additionally, I am rather short at about 5'5''. I will continue to experiment with it and post some pictures when I thing I have got it right.

Cindy Anderson

Post by Cindy Anderson » Thu May 25, 2017 10:29 pm

I just bought a used Troster support from e - b a y. There are no instructions for set up, i.e., order of what to attach first, etc. Does anyone know, does the Troster come with instructions? If not, does anyone have any tips? It seems kind of overwhelming at first.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”