What about seat height?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
WarrenHeyer

What about seat height?

Post by WarrenHeyer » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:38 am

I am trying different positions with a foot stool, cushion, with the guitar on the left and right leg but nothing seams perfect yet.
I changed my seat height from 19" (dining chair) to 17" (coffee table) and that is more comfortable.
What seat height do you use?

KeMe

Re: What about seat height?

Post by KeMe » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:16 am

Warren, I use an adjustable secretary chair that I keep at about 18 inches.
You want to sit so that both of your feet are comfortable and you're not having to put any weight on your feet and your thighs are comfortably straight. Then when you put your left foot on the foot rest, it should lift your knee high enough that your guitar won't slide off of your leg.
From what your are saying, you might be happier with one of the ergo type guitar lifts where you can keep both feet on the floor. You may need to just experiment and find what works best for you.

Bottom line: You need to be comfortable, because if you aren't it's going to be tough to sit for any time and practice.

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

Sean

Post by Sean » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:03 am

I use a folding wood chair; the seat is just under 20 inches. I use a footstool/Dynarette combo.

Gruupi

Post by Gruupi » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:52 pm

Seat height is a personal choice. Someone gave me a tip recently though. Even if you use a support, it's good that your left leg be at least parallel to the floor, if it slopes down then the guitar is going to want to slide off. I would think that the seat height would be dependant on how tall you are and your leg length. It is uncomfortable for me (I am short) to play in taller chairs. Even if I sit on the edge of the chair it is hard to get into position. I would think a tall person would feel cramped in a short chair. All the advice from books and teachers on sitting position need to take into account how high the chair is. There is no one standard.

All that being said, I frequently have to perform in a chair that is uncomfortable. It would be impractical to carry my own chair with me every place I play.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:09 pm

A common guideline, as gruppi points out, is for the chair to be at whatever height sets your thigh parallel to the floor, more or less--a good neutral position. If your leg is angled down (knee lower than your hip) then the guitar will probably sit too low and you'll hunch over your back to compensate. If your knee is higher than your hip, you'll feel cramped, and this position may lead to physical problems too. It's really important to find a position that is ergonomically correct, so you can sit and practice without compromising your back, hips, etc.

I use a drummer's throne. It's easily adjustable, and I find that occasionally I feel more comfortable in a slightly higher or lower position than the day before.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

TsarL

Post by TsarL » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:04 pm

Gruupi wrote:...

All that being said, I frequently have to perform in a chair that is uncomfortable. It would be impractical to carry my own chair with me every place I play.
Just wanted to mention that I have attended two concerts at which the player actually did bring her own chair/stool. Interestingly, in both cases it was a female player.

Regards,

LVR

Post by LVR » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:07 pm

16 1/2 inches. Yes, I'm short, and playing in a higher chair is hard, though playing for an hour or two in a low seat with my knee above my thigh is OK. At a concert last year I saw a short guitarist (OK, Judicael Perroy) play with a footstool under each foot.
The basic thing about playing the guitar is the pleasure you get from it. There's nothing wrong with pleasure is there?
Julian Bream

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:20 pm

Hello
this has also interested me, I have found that the chair should be at the same height as the back of the knee, whatever that is. That will keep the right thigh parallel ish to the floor and the left thigh slightly raised with your foot on a stool. This seems to be more comfortable wether there is a lot of padding on the seat or not.

Regards Tim
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

rever

Post by rever » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:59 am

I use a folding adjustable musician's chair. It can lean forward a little like a cello chair or be nearly straight with a bunch of adjustment heights. I change it and my brace to match the individual guitar and sometimes to match which shoes or boots I am wearing. I am going up and down like a yo-yo since I got it.

Muted5

Post by Muted5 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:09 am

OldPotter wrote:Hello
this has also interested me, I have found that the chair should be at the same height as the back of the knee, whatever that is. That will keep the right thigh parallel ish to the floor and the left thigh slightly raised with your foot on a stool. This seems to be more comfortable wether there is a lot of padding on the seat or not.

Regards Tim
I agree with you. Ì don't think your height is important but the distance between the feet and where the lower leg meets the thigh at the back of the knee. I find a bad easy chair can be a goood chair if it matches this for me.I have a long torso but shortish legs.

bear

Post by bear » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:23 pm

I am a little over 6' and my seat height is a comfortable 17". My wife is 4'10" and uses the same chair (her feet don't reach the floor) she uses 2 foot stools of different height to compensate.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:04 am

Most chairs are too high for me for guitar playing. The best seat I've found so far is sitting on the corner of a large square coffee table that is 16" high. I was going to build a wooden stool of the same height but then found this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10297958/ $20 stool from Ikea that seems perfect, just a little taller. A saw will take care of that. I'll add a cushion before trimming.

OldC1guy

Post by OldC1guy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:18 pm

I'm 6'2" and my knee joint is about 21" from the floor. I use a 22 1/2" cushioned stool. To get my right foot flat on floor, I place foot long piece of 2 X 6 under it. I elevate the stool pretty high. It works for me.
I bought my classical guitar before my first marriage. That didn’t last, but the guitar did; one of the few things she didn't get...

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”