What are your pants made of?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
dechico

What are your pants made of?

Post by dechico » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:05 am

I have been learning classical guitar for about a year and a half. Before I started playing daily, I had a thought that the best fabric for pants (to be non-slip) would be a heavy cloth, like denim or other cotton pants. It turns out that my old jeans are very soft and worn and my guitar can't get a grip.

I know there are many lap devices for holding the guitar, and not slipping, but for just regular practice, do you have a favorite pair of pants you wear due to the type of fabric? What would be a cloth that wouldn't slip, with good friction to hold the guitar in place? Do you have pants that you wear in performances because they hold the guitar well?

I searched the site for "pants" and didn't find anything. Should I just wear my jeans and not worry about it?

simonm
Amateur luthier

Re: What are your pants made of?

Post by simonm » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:59 am

My guitar teacher (in Germany) tells me that when he was doing concerts he always wore leather pants. In class he always insists on students putting a chamois leather on the thigh to stop the guitar slipping.

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:00 am

Buy a roll of thick non-slip liner (black or your color of choice). These can usually be found in the kitchen section of most large retailers or hardware stores. Cut a small sheet to place at the main contact point of the guitar and your garment. This works well if you're using a guitar support too.

One roll should last you several years ... or your lifetime ... depending on how large a sheet you need.

EDIT and DISCLAIMER: All of my guitars have poly finishes. I don't know how this liner material might react to other finishes.

LVR

Post by LVR » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:58 am

I attended a masterclass once where, right after playing, a poor young man said, "My pants just got very slippery."
To return to your question: shelf liner - it's sort of an open-texture rubbery material. You don't have to buy the whole roll in a decent hardware store. A swath about 2 feet long ( approx. 60 cm) will lie nicely across your lap. I've seen Berta Rojas, among others, use this, so it must be respectable and it works well.
The basic thing about playing the guitar is the pleasure you get from it. There's nothing wrong with pleasure is there?
Julian Bream

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:41 pm

For a forum member based in the UK, this has to be the most bizarre question I have ever encountered on Delcamp :)

I'm waiting for the follow up: "Are you a boxers or Y-fronts kind of guy?"

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:58 pm

The problem is the same with CG and viola da gamba.... I would not use leather pants or shamois, for me it is too much... I need my guitar to be able to move a little. My favorite fabric is jeans, but of course I can't use it on stage... Avoid 100% polyester and wool, those fabric are catastrophic!! For public performance I own a skirt made of a kind of velvet just perfect, and two of my pants - blent of cotton and polyester - are suitable for that.
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Blondie wrote:For a forum member based in the UK, this has to be the most bizarre question I have ever encountered on Delcamp :)

Geoff has informed some of us that in the UK "pants" refers to underwear. :shock: :lol:
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

HrothgarZachachaeus

Post by HrothgarZachachaeus » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:37 pm

simonm wrote:My guitar teacher (in Germany) tells me that when he was doing concerts he always wore leather pants. In class he always insists on students putting a chamois leather on the thigh to stop the guitar slipping.
Isn't 'Lederhosen' the answer to every question in Germany? :D
"There's a fine line between clever and stupid."
-David St. Hubbins

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:44 pm

Vito Simplicio wrote:
Blondie wrote:For a forum member based in the UK, this has to be the most bizarre question I have ever encountered on Delcamp :)

Geoff has informed some of us that in the UK "pants" refers to underwear. :shock: :lol:
They still cover your fanny.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:55 pm

Steve Kutzer wrote:They still cover your fanny.
With regards to some youth fashion, that statement is very much debatable.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:48 pm

GuitarVlog wrote:
With regards to some youth fashion, that statement is very much debatable.
:grire:

Indeed.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:07 pm

lagartija wrote:Indeed.
Oh, ... where are my manners? I'm being discriminatory.

My statement should have read, "With regards to some youth and plumbers' fashion ...".

Thank you.

Nigel Ewen

Post by Nigel Ewen » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:40 pm

at a recent master class with Allan Neave, Allan produced a non slip car dash mat. Purchased from Tesco for £1.99.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Les Backshall
Luthier

Post by Les Backshall » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:16 pm

Vito Simplicio wrote:Geoff has informed some of us that in the UK "pants" refers to underwear. :shock: :lol:
Yes pants in the UK are underwear - and they are referred to as a pair of pants (same as a pair of trousers)
Tomzooki wrote:and two of my pants -
So in the UK that would be one pant for each leg :)
And 'fanny' is slang for the female genitalia - unless, of course, that is what you meant :roll:

...divided by a common language etc....

Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:21 pm

OK, gang, we need to get back to the topic. :roll:
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)