What are your pants made of?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
dechico

Re: What are your pants made of?

Post by dechico » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Blondie wrote:I'm waiting for the follow up: "Are you a boxers or Y-fronts kind of guy?"
OP here: I guess the follow-up here is "gal" in this case. I have to say I tried phrasing this question several different ways before pressing "Submit" and this seemed most harmless. Even though I spent some time in the UK as a teen, my clothes-related questions never got this detailed.

After looking at the responses, I may go to the auto parts store and buy a chamois leather for my left leg.

Sorry for any surprise or annoyance for anyone, I apologize in advance if someone felt my question was not appropriate.

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:43 pm

No problem, dechico, your intentions were totally honorable. I'm pleased that you've found a solution.
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:35 am

I seem to recall Bill Kanengiser had a patch of fabric or something like it attached to his guitar. I believe it's visible on one of the videos. I'm not sure what that does for the resale value of the instrument, but I'm sure it helps keep the guitar from slipping away.

Have a look over at strings by mail at the 'thigh guard'.

integris2

Post by integris2 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:51 pm

I also use the non-slip liner that a couple of people mentioned. My mom is a baker on the side, and she buy rolls of it to hold cakes in place while she transports them. I cut two sections, one for each leg, and they work great. I know Jason Vieaux is one guitarist that uses this.

Nick Payne
Amateur luthier

Post by Nick Payne » Tue May 10, 2011 9:08 pm

I use a small square (about 150mm a side) of the non-slip carpet underlay that is sold to go under rugs on polished wood or tile floors to stop them slipping. I got it for nothing as an off-cut from a local carpet shop.

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Wed May 11, 2011 12:33 pm

Nick, in the States we call that carpet padding.

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed May 11, 2011 1:10 pm

I'm not so sure that is the stuff he means, Vito. Here is a picture of carpet padding:
carpetpadding.jpg
It has more thickness than the non-skid stuff. The non-skid stuff is like this shelf liner material (which is what I have used to keep my guitar from sliding) but more substantial for use under a rug. The stuff we call "carpet padding" really is padding; it has some foam that adds squishyness (notice the highly technical term :lol: ) under your rug.

This stuff comes in several colors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Wed May 11, 2011 1:54 pm

Yes, lagartija, I'm sure you are right.

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Lolaviola

Post by Lolaviola » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:15 pm

I use non-skid shelf liner (in black) with very slippery poly trousers.
One roll will last you. I got it at a discount tool store.
In the US, your 'fanny' is your arse. btw

dogonjon

Post by dogonjon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:18 pm

Rubber pants give the greatest friction plus the chicks think they are damn sexy.

Poncho

Post by Poncho » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:04 pm

And I thought I was the only guy who had this problem. I've been using a rubber pot holder that my wife gave me, but some of the ideas here (especially the chamois) are much better. Thanks for bringing this subject up.

Matthew Stidham

Post by Matthew Stidham » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:48 am

I've been doing this for years, and it has worked quite well.

I went to the fabric store and found a swatch of brown faux leather suede that was about the color of my guitar back. Went to the hardware store and found some double stick carpet/rug tape. I cut small pieces of the suede and taped it to the two leg contact points and I've had zero problems with them slipping at all. Nice thing is that this can stay attached to your guitar in the case with no problem, and can be removed if you want to resale the guitar. It has not damaged the finish on my '74 Ramirez either.

I got this idea from Doug Niedt, professor of guitar at University of Missouri, Kansas City.

Zach S

Post by Zach S » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:32 pm

Silly question, but I have to ask: does doing something, like what guitardude127 suggests, affect the sound of the guitar? Since you're effectively adding another layer to the guitar at a specific point ... maybe?
If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them. -- Henry David Thoreau

sandy

Post by sandy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:56 am

I also use the non-stick liner that's used to keep throw rugs in place. It works great as I don't have to keep adjusting the guitar to keep from slipping which really interferes with concentration.

dechico

Post by dechico » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:15 pm

Just to follow up here, I did get a leather chamois. The original shape is sort of long and oval, and so I folded it in half. I've been using it with the fold up against the top of my left leg, and the two overlapping ends towards my knee. It works very well; also it rolls up very small for travel.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas!

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”