What are your pants made of?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
jon17

Re: What are your pants made of?

Post by jon17 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:53 am

Are all these car dash mats and so on OK on the finish of an instrument or do you have to be really careful when using them?

montana

Post by montana » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:31 am

I don't wear anything when I play.Thus ..no invitation to the local guitar ensamble.

washburn

Post by washburn » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:53 pm

I've noticed Sharon Isbin wearing leather slacks in many of her concert videos - even where she performs at the White House. I have some casual leather jeans in the closet that I wear around the home in the winter time, and thought I'd try practicing the guitar with. And sure enough the guitar doesn't slip even when your left leg isn't positioned real high.

daowens

Post by daowens » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Ok. Ok. I just spent 15 minutes looking for a roll of plastic material -
you know - the kind you put in a drawer ( liner Material with holes in it) and it works
great !

Sometimes you just gotta give it a try!
Thanks !
Dave o.
Guitars
J.S. Cooper 2004 "Leila"

daowens

Post by daowens » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:41 pm

Ok. Ok. I just spent 15 minutes looking for a roll of plastic material -
you know - the kind you put in a drawer ( liner Material with holes in it) and it works
great !

Sometimes you just gotta give it a try!
Thanks !
Dave o.
Guitars
J.S. Cooper 2004 "Leila"

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:13 am

It is interesting theme - I personally never ever have slippery problem with guitar in both sitting and standing position... but I had this problem when I played Lute or different oval folk instruments (like Domra) . Then I used a thin piece of simple foam (same as used for mattresses). It usually stop slippery completely. :)
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

JohnyZuper

Post by JohnyZuper » Sun May 07, 2017 7:46 am

I don't find this question silly at all. The guitar slipping off the thigh is a real problem. And people laying out little pieces of cloth on their legs before they start playing just look ridiculous.

Maybe a fashion designer can figure out how to integrate such fabric in our clothing elegantly.

I myself prefer my velvet pants over my smooth cotton pants because the guitar slips on the latter.
Thanks for the leather suggestion! Wouldn't it be great if all classical guitarists started wearing leather pants on stage?
The only problem, at least with the fake leather pants that I own, is that my legs get very sweaty underneath. Or does this not happen in real leather?

I'm also wondering about the gowns that some women wear to perform. Those silky-looking things seem awfully slippery. Then again, maybe certain dress or skirt designs could actually help keep the guitar in place.

We need to involve a fashion designer!
―Michaël Samyn.

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun May 14, 2017 5:56 pm

We need to involve a fashion designer!
Leather tuxedo, all the way.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”