Ergonomic playing with Yamaha silent guitar

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
snowkiter

Ergonomic playing with Yamaha silent guitar

Post by snowkiter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:58 pm

Hello!
I just recently bought a Yamaha silent guitar (slg130nw) and I'm wondering what kind of guitar support would work with this. My teacher has adviced me not to use foot rests, as they are not ergonomic. However, my suction cup rest does not attach to the narrow frame of the guitar. Any suggestions?

Vlad Kosulin

Re: Ergonomic playing with Yamaha silent guitar

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:54 pm

You can put thick blanket roll under guitar (I started playing this way), or buy Dynarette (I use it now for regular CG).
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

snowkiter

Post by snowkiter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:00 pm

Thank you. I'll have to try those :). The Dynarette looks very good. I'm going to order one if the blanket is inadequate.

MurrayK

Post by MurrayK » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:12 am

Hi Snowkiter, in 2008 I posted this mod I did to an SLG100N, fitting an Efel rest.viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25586

I still use it all the time and find it better than using a foot stool. It was not at all a difficult project and, if you place some felt between the mod and the frame, you will not mark or damage the frame at all, (should you wish to replace the original horn)

Hope you are enjoying your new Yamaha SLG. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Murray

jaradgiese

Post by jaradgiese » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:32 pm

The SLG has pegs for a guitar strap. I recently got one and now I can't play my SLG without it. It really helps to hold the guitar in the correct position. As a bonus you can practice standing up a bit too which I think is better for your body than being cramped up in a chair all the time. If I notice I'm getting sore I'll stand up now and keep practicing and it's great! Very strange to stand and play classical but it works!

jaradgiese

Post by jaradgiese » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:34 pm

A large Dynarest cushion seems to work well enough though I think with this guitar because the profile is so thin there will always be a bit of awkwardness holding it like a regular classical.

Kadgil

Post by Kadgil » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:23 pm

Hi there,

I recently bought one and had the same problem, so I unscrewed the horn shaped bit of wood on the lower section and just turned it around and screwed it back in the other way round so the tip of the horn bit is pointing down, I thinks it works really well but I do like my guitar very upright.

all the best

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:13 am

Hello Kadgil.

Welcome to Delcamp classical guitar forum.

Perhaps you could take the time to introduce yourself to the forum here and get a true Delcamp welcome. To learn more about the forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page.

Best wishes
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

ritchieb

Post by ritchieb » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:03 am

I can vouch for Kadgil's idea with switching the horn around. This works for me too. :)

MojoRisin

Post by MojoRisin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:42 pm

Greetings. I'm a new member here, but have been lurking these forums for a while.

As a first post I thought I'd bump this old thread to show off my solution for more ergonomic use with the Yamaha SLG200N and to thank you guys for inspiring me to this idea.

I'm really digging this setup. I have several guitars, but I do use this one quite often in order to keep the volume down and not disturb the house. The support is the SageWork Atlas (tall version). The front magnet is secured to the body of the guitar with 3M outdoor mounting tape. For the rear I drilled a new hole and secured the magnet with a screw, washers and wingnut. It may not look as pretty as Murray's solution, but I do really like this setupe for my style of playing. I switch between right and left leg positions and this fits the bill perfectly.

IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”