Are footstools or supports the standard?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
amezcua

Re: Are footstools or supports the standard?

Post by amezcua » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:46 am

Apart from guitar playing I discovered something important about my back when I was repairing the putty on our many house windows. Most of the day I was on a step ladder reaching up and also concentrating on not falling off. This accumulated tensions in my lower back until one morning I thought I had slipped a disc. It was in fact the muscles around the hip . Those painful muscles are some of the shortest ones in the body. At the time I dreaded the process of getting out of bed because it was so painful . I spent a week sleeping in a chair to avoid that daybreak pain .That was a miserable time. But anyway stretching those hip muscles may be the cure for much of the pain . It may not be the spine or discs at all . The stretching was similar to the way a frog squats. Kneeling with knees far apart ,head as low as possible and arms out in front on the floor. Move the hands as far to one side as you can reach .Then in the other direction . That seemed to get the muscles a bit longer .

ronjazz

Re: Are footstools or supports the standard?

Post by ronjazz » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:11 pm

There is no "standard", there is custom, usually based on ignorance of anatomy, and there is what works best for each individual.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”