Abel Armrest in Germany

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
rojarosguitar

Abel Armrest in Germany

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:56 pm

Out of curiosity I ordered an armrest made by Abel. I thought it might be intesting for you to share my experience with that:

It is an armrest made out of some kind of black plastic and it does not use sucction cups or magnets.

It doesn' look nearly as elegant as those mady by Kris Barnett, which I use on most of my guitars, but it serves it's purpose surprizingly well - as far as comfort goes, maybe even better than the others. It is also sitting quite stable where it should be - a well thought out mechanisms holds it with the aid of one screw (not touching the guitar anywhere) in place.

So for those fellow guitarists, especially in Germany, who shy away from ordering the (really great) support from Kris Barnett or look for an arm support that is not attached with strong magnets or sucction cups, and if ergonomy is more important than esthetics (because it doesn't look realy great) for you, the Abel support could be a serious altmative. It costs 59,90 €. Just google "Abel Armauflage" and you'll find your way.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

rojarosguitar

Re: Abel Armrest in Germany

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:51 pm

Now I have used the arm rest for some time. I'm still not thrilled by the way how it looks, but it is very comfortable and fulfills its purpose very very well.
Personally I still like the Barnett arm rest better, especialyl whenn I look at it, but when I play, I couldn't tell which one is better, maybe even Abel for it's greater stability. It sits rock solid where I put it.

Best wishes
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

es335

Post by es335 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi Robert,

Thanks for sharing your experience albeit too late for me as I just recently decided for the QT armrest. I'm very pleased with the result in particular as the raise of the vontact point between forearm and the guitar's lower bout seems very benefitial in my case. All in all I was really surprised that the improvement in playing comfort was even more significant than switching to guitar supports. I regret not having earlier used an armrest. :?

Nevertheless after your comment in particular about the stability which I always considered questionable seeing a "plastic wing" attached to the guitar I will put this on my watchlist for my old "lady". Her varnish is not the best basis for suction cups.

Cheers
Harald

PS: The look of this armrest was IMHO always a drawback but I suppose it's even easier and faster to remove than the QT?!

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi Harald,
I had ordered once the QT armrest and sent it back, it didnt work for me at all.
As far as I remember it was sucction cup based and so (too) easy to remove, with the Abel you have to turn one screw, but it's fairly easy, not quite as easy as with Barnett...

es335

Post by es335 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:39 am

Hi Robert,

I'm surprised to hear that. The QT armrest attaches with suction cups but as they are below the armrest, the pressure orientation at least in my case assures that they don't become loose. I even find it a little bit uncomfortable and hard to remove. Maybe that is due to the high gloss laquered sides of the Kohno as well which is a perfect surface for suction cups.

The main drawback is, you always have to remove it when storing the guitar in the case and this will degrade the performance of the suction cups in the long run. This should be easier and without impact on the performance with the Abel and probably not even neccessary with Chris Barnett's ?!

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:31 am

Harald, the guitar I used the QT AR was a Baarslag which is not that glossy and sucction cups generally don't stick well to it, but you're right, at least they went in the right direction; but I found QT not so comfortable and it didn't follw the curve of my guitar well where I wanted it.

Abel AR has to be removed when puting the guitar into a case, Barnett AR not.

best

R.

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Robert,

Thanks so much for sharing the information on the Abel armrest. I checked it out, and have special ordered it through strings by mail. Matt with strings by mail is trying it out also, and I believe that they may try to begin to stock some limited quantities of these in the future. I will not receive my Abel armrest until sometime next month, probably, but will post my thoughts about it after trying it out. I learn so much by listening to all the experts here on delcamp!

Here's a picture of it to give an idea of the ergonomics. Looks quite good as far as the form is concerned, and based on the way it mounts, it should keep the soundboard free to vibrate as well:
Abel Armrest.jpg
Best Regards,

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

petemeyersguitar

Post by petemeyersguitar » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:51 pm

The shape of the Abel seems to make more sense ergonomically than many that I've seen that are part of the guitar's design.

Still, I have enough "fun" with the variability of my guitar support that I would be wary to add another non-permanent device into the equation. Interesting concept, though.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:09 pm

I'm using this arm rest since I wrote about it on a regular basis on one of my guitars and I must say, it is very, very comfortable and feels very natural.
The only thing I don't like is the look and the material of the contact surface with the arm (when I'm playing with the arm naked - other than that it's OK).

Kris Barnetts arm rest looks sooo much better ...

wianno

Post by wianno » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:35 pm

An advantage of Kris Barnett's arm rest is that it does not have to be removed when the guitar is returned to its case. If he were to change his design to add more surface on which to rest the arm (like the Abel), something that I would like, the magnetic attachment would make removal and replacement quick and easy.

Jack

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:19 pm

Greetings to All,

An update for anyone interested in trying this armrest ... It is available as of today on the Strings by Mail web site. I ordered mine a few minutes ago. Thanks again to Robert for sharing the information about it, and to Matt at Strings by Mail for making it available to us here in the U.S.!

I'll post another update after I get mine and give it a try.

Kind Regards,

Joe
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:53 pm

I've had the Abel armrest for five days now, and wanted to share my thoughts about it with everyone. It is very comfortable to use, and it creates a very natural and relaxed position for the right arm and RH. One extra advantage beyond the obvious comfort and beneficial ergonomics is the fact that the top is allowed to resonate more with the use of the armrest. The armrest comes into direct contact with the top in only two small spots with tiny rubber pads. I am convinced that I notice an audible difference in resonance and sustain with the armrest, but I would be interested in hearing from Robert to see if he agrees.

The armrest is very easy to attach to the guitar. It just slips onto the side, then tightens with the turn of one thumb screw. Nothing but rubber ever comes into contact with the finish, so no problems there.

I've been working very hard to improve my RH position and technique, and the Abel armrest makes me comfortable and relaxed so that it is easier for me to maintain proper position.

Hope this information helps. I really have enjoyed playing my guitar even more with the new armrest.

Kind Regards to All,

Joe
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:12 pm

:D

mikfik

Post by mikfik » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:08 pm

I've had my new Abel armrest for about a week now. I am very happy with it. It helps me keep my right arm from touching the sound board while I play and it feels real good under my forearm.

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:36 am

Does anyone know where I can get hold of one of these in the UK? Looks like exactly what I'm after.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”