Mallet finger injury

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
alexphyd

Re: Mallet finger injury

Post by alexphyd » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:52 am

I will start doing the same...thanks a lot for your advice!

Skyblue

Post by Skyblue » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:49 pm

I have got mallet finger and am devastated! It has been splinted for 9 weeks now but I do take it off to give it air and wash it. I went to see a sports therapist at 8 and a half weeks who took off the splint and bent it backwards and forwards a bit too vigorously I thought. Have put splint back on....I have a slight lag. It's the middle finger of my left hand. I am terrified I have permanently damaged it and will not be able to play guitar again. I am seeing a physio at a hospital next Tuesday. I would be so glad to hear of some positive feedback from someone. I am so depressed with this as well as being left handed it is really getting me down.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Hey, I've got a similar issue on my left hand middle finger ! ( basket ball hit, from teenage years )

there is a 20 degree angle there, but I am used to it playing the guitar. It does not work 100% but quite so - ie i may have some added difficulty at some LH pull on/offs where there is also a barre or a strange position invovled, so the finger approaches at 90 degrees or so the fretboard..

Thinking It would need an operation, I live it as it is.. Anyone think it worths a look after now , after 20+ years?

thanks !
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

twang

Post by twang » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:54 pm

I had the same injury to my left hand pinky years ago. I waited over 3 three weeks to have it looked at. (I could still move it in one direction so I didn't think it was broken, just swollen-- duh!). The doctor said that if you don't treat such fractures within 24 hours they unlikely to heal satisfactorily. I told her I was a guitar player (well, an occasional strummer, at the time). She splinted it with a splint that bent the joint backwards. I never took that split off for weeks no matter how dirty or stinky it got. When I went back and let her finally take if off she was amazed that it had healed.

I still cannot bend it fully like I can my other fingers. It often makes certain moves difficult, but so for I've been able to work around all the issues, well except for one. Now there's almost no space between the bones in the finger and if I get too aggressive with the vibrato it'll instantly inflame itself and I'll have to take at least a week off.
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”