Guitar supports without suction cups

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Marc Pilon

Guitar supports without suction cups

Post by Marc Pilon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:03 am

Apart from the Dynarette cushion, is there anything out there to raise the guitar without using suction cups?

I've searched the web but found nothing.

Thanks!

Marc

petemeyersguitar

Re: Guitar supports without suction cups

Post by petemeyersguitar » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:04 am

Murata/Aria guitar support

Kent

Post by Kent » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:38 am

Top reviews for the Kris Barnett guitar support.
See Strings by mail.

Marc Pilon

Post by Marc Pilon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:05 pm

Thank you both for your responses.

I'll check out both supports.

Regarding the Murata, someone in some other discussion group mentioned that it had left marks on his guitar over time. The fellow did mention, however, that his was an older model. From another poster in the group, it would appear that the company has since modified the composition of the rubber pieces that touch the guitar, thus eliminating that problem.

The Kris Barnett device is very clever. I've even seen a video by Kris, explaining how to install the support.

Cheers,

Marc
Last edited by Marc Pilon on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petemeyersguitar

Post by petemeyersguitar » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:15 pm

I've used my murata for four or five years now; no marks even on the French polished soundboard

FHC

Post by FHC » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:10 pm

I have tried several. The Murata is the only support that provides the movement needed while playing. I like the Dynarette for quick support.

Marc Pilon

Post by Marc Pilon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:46 am

Update

I've just ordered the Murata, and I'm on the waiting list for the Kris Barnett support at Strings by Mail.

I decided to take the plunge. Lately, I was playing less and less because my lower back would hurt after an hour or so. I have a Dynarette and not only does it make playing a stress-free experience, but I've found that it places the guitar at a much better angle relative to my left hand, thereby improving my playing.

I think a few hundred bucks (the Dynarette, Murata and Barnett) for the enjoyment of playing without tension is cheap.
I also reasoned that, should the rubber of the Murata alter the finish--something Pete has not experienced--again it's a small price for so much enjoyment. Should that happen, I'll just find someone to freshen up the French polish someday. Then maybe I won't.

I'll keep you posted on how things turn out, and which support I prefer.

Cheers,

Marc

Michael_1

Post by Michael_1 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:30 pm

i am abit late here on guitar supports. One problem with all the supports mentioned is they do not fit in the guitar case. I once saw a guitar support that was a simple wooden flap attached to the part of guitar that normally comes in contact with leg. The flap when opened will support the guitar on your knee, when closed, it is flush on the guitar so that it will fit in guitar case. No suction cups. It can be handmade for afew quid (as I do not think its commercially available).

mverive

Post by mverive » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:50 pm

Michael_1 wrote:i am abit late here on guitar supports. One problem with all the supports mentioned is they do not fit in the guitar case. I once saw a guitar support that was a simple wooden flap attached to the part of guitar that normally comes in contact with leg. The flap when opened will support the guitar on your knee, when closed, it is flush on the guitar so that it will fit in guitar case. No suction cups. It can be handmade for afew quid (as I do not think its commercially available).
The Tenuto-lite is a variation on this theme. It uses suction cups, but folds up neatly and takes up very little room in the guitar case. I have also found that if I loosen the wing-nut on my ErgoPlay, and swivel the two halves together, they fit neatly in my case.

I still like using a footrest, however. It just seems more natural, and I can position myself easily enough to avoid excessive back strain, even when playing for an hour and a half or more.

Mike Verive
"(P)Lay on, MacDuff, And damn'd be him that first cries, 'Hold, enough!'"

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:33 pm

Marc Pilon wrote:I've just ordered the Murata, and I'm on the waiting list for the Kris Barnett support at Strings by Mail.

I decided to take the plunge. Lately, I was playing less and less because my lower back would hurt after an hour or so. I have a Dynarette and not only does it make playing a stress-free experience, but I've found that it places the guitar at a much better angle relative to my left hand, thereby improving my playing.

I think a few hundred bucks (the Dynarette, Murata and Barnett) for the enjoyment of playing without tension is cheap.
I also reasoned that, should the rubber of the Murata alter the finish--something Pete has not experienced--again it's a small price for so much enjoyment. Should that happen, I'll just find someone to freshen up the French polish someday. Then maybe I won't.

I'll keep you posted on how things turn out, and which support I prefer
Hi Marc

I am looking at moving from a footstool to a guitar support. I don't like the concept of suction cups, don't want to apply protective sheets to my guitars and also want a support that can readily be transferred between guitars. I rarely play a guitar for more than a few hours over a few days before I rotate through my other guitars.

I am thinking of both the Dynarette (main concerns are lack of adjustment, which size to buy and whether it will be very stable and safe - just seems risky sitting something between my leg and a guitar) and the Murata (concerns are how easy and quick it is to change from one guitar to another and the risk of damage at the four points of contact).

I would very much value your feedback, particularly if you could respond to the above mentioned points of interest.

Regards
Peter

Marc Pilon

Post by Marc Pilon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:08 am

Hi Peter,

I'm still waiting for the Murata, so I can't comment on that support yet. Also, I'm on a waiting list for the Barnett support.

However, I can comment on the Dynarette (the smaller version) and I have to admit that I like it a lot. Nice and simple, actually quite stable, usable on many guitars (unlike the Kris Barnett, which, once you've slacked the strings and installed the magnets with putty, isn't really that transposable).

I'm still interested in getting both the Barnett and Muratta, but, the more I use it, the more I find the Dynarette a really simple and ingenious device.

I'll keep you posted as I get the other supports.

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention: I place the guitar on my right leg. But, that doesn't really matter.

Regards,

Marc

Marc Pilon

Post by Marc Pilon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:28 pm

The Murata came in yesterday.

The post office charged me $21 for customs--what a ripoff!

Anyhow, I digress. So far (and it's only been one day), I think I prefer the Dynarette. Apart from the fact that it's a bit bulky for travelling, I find the Dynarette simpler to use and, because it is graduated and angled in shape, I find that I can move the guitar around on it more easily.

The Murata feels more like a prosthesis, if that makes any sense. It's a well designed device, no doubt, and I'll have to experiment with it more.

Next will be the Kris Barnett support, whenever that's available.

Marc

Gaspere

Post by Gaspere » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:28 pm

What´s wrong with suction cups?

I put a piece of Kling On on the guitar (it´s a piece of plastic with a surface so fine that it sticks without glue) and use a Gitano which has two suction cups. It doesn´t leave any marks that way and it basically never falls off. I think I have used one of them for two years now without the suction cups getting old, and I remove the Gitano every evening.

es335

Post by es335 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:02 am

@Peter,
Unless your guitar has a serious head weight problem the Dynarette gives a very stable and secure feeling. I never experienced any problem other than with suction cups. They can be full of surprise and tend to come off in the worst situations.

The main drawback of the Dynarette is the lack of adjustability. Two sizes and if they don't fit you well, you are left in another more or less uncomfortable position.

I wonder nobody mentioned the Matepis supports. A brick sized cushion fixed to a non slipping fabric which should enable better position adjustment than the Dynarette. Matepis offers them in 5 or 6 sizes with the biggest having 15cm, which is 2 cm more than the Dynarette and would probably fit me better.

But I'm really happy with the Efel for my 10-string which perfectly compensates the head overload and the Tukeva for my other 6 strings. A bit bulky but it offers the best ergonomy of all firm support I ever tried. The only problem with the Tukeva is, they discontinued the small size model and the tall model seems a to be just a little bit on the high side for me! Nothing is perfect! :wink:

JohnyZuper

Post by JohnyZuper » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:37 am

Any further opinions about the Murata or the Barnett/Sagework?

Suction cups don't stick to my beeswax finished guitar. And the Dynarette is too low for me.
―Michaël Samyn.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”