Guitar supports without suction cups

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Bill B

Re: Guitar supports without suction cups

Post by Bill B » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:11 pm

Gracie guitar stand? Think Aguado guitar podaison or whatever it was called. I've got one. I don't actually like it, but it's different and it's out there.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:51 pm

Love my Kris Barnett support. Installing or removing the magnets from inside the body is a PITA; my hands are quite large. However once in place, I MUCH prefer it to any other support system. My back is much happier with both legs flat on the ground. I too hate suction cups; they always come off no matter what I do. The Barnett is so secure that I can pick up my guitar by grabbing the support. Not that I do such, a firm shake would break the magnets loose. I have a few small markings on the body from it but this is my fault from not attaching the support gently. I'm not very precious with my guitar.

JohnyZuper

Post by JohnyZuper » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:53 pm

How much do the magnets inside the guitar weigh? I really love the light weight of my current instrument (Burguet Andante). Would hate to ruin that.

Also, does the Barnett/Sagework support allow moving the guitar a bit while playing (to alter sound color)? In online videos the players seem rather stuck in one position, albeit a very stable relaxed one.
―Michaël Samyn.

JohnyZuper

Post by JohnyZuper » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:16 pm

I wonder if one could replace the suction cups of a Gitano support with magnets.
Maybe with two "Mag Clips" (to replace suction cups in aquariums): http://www.magclip.co.uk.
―Michaël Samyn.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:43 pm

:bravo: Kris Barnett support +1
I also made a hybrid between an Ergoplay and Kris Barnett using a port of both, and that works also nice...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:45 pm

JohnyZuper wrote:How much do the magnets inside the guitar weigh? I really love the light weight of my current instrument (Burguet Andante). Would hate to ruin that.

Also, does the Barnett/Sagework support allow moving the guitar a bit while playing (to alter sound color)? In online videos the players seem rather stuck in one position, albeit a very stable relaxed one.
I don't know what they weigh, but they are pretty substantial. I agree with you that it will change the feeling of picking up your guitar if it is a lightweight instrument to begin with. It is the one thing that might make me remove them one day from my Kono. But of course none of that matters when you play the guitar. And any other support once attached adds weight to the instrument....

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:23 am

I found the extra weight of the magnets to be trivial and unnoticeable.

KP

Eberhard Mueller

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:33 am

Just to put some metrics to the question of the internal magnet set's weight - I happen to have a spare set and it weighs in at 74 gm.
Neil Douglas 2001 (German Spruce / German Maple)
Neil Douglas 1992 (Engelmann Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

JohnyZuper

Post by JohnyZuper » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:10 am

Eberhard Mueller wrote:Just to put some metrics to the question of the internal magnet set's weight - I happen to have a spare set and it weighs in at 74 gm.
Thank you!
―Michaël Samyn.

JohnyZuper

Post by JohnyZuper » Fri May 05, 2017 3:40 pm

FYI, thanks to sticking a "Gitano Protection Film" on my beeswax finished guitar, I can now use the Gitano support without the suction cups coming loose. The even seem to stick better than on my lacquer finished guitar. I just hope it doesn't damage the guitar when I remove the film.
―Michaël Samyn.

choctawchas

Post by choctawchas » Fri May 26, 2017 9:19 pm

I've used every system available and found the Barnett support superior in all respects.
Oliver Moore 2012
Miles Henderson Smith 2012

davekear

Post by davekear » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:22 pm

I've tried a bunch of them, so hard to get them to stay on. I've learned to use the Dynarette cushion, and now I love it. I take the cover off and just use the plain foam rubber. Sticks better and no noise when recording.

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:42 pm

JohnyZuper wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:53 pm
How much do the magnets inside the guitar weigh? I really love the light weight of my current instrument (Burguet Andante). Would hate to ruin that.
Could anyone who has the Burguet Andante share the exact body dimensions here? The Burguet website doesn't list them. A "standard" classical guitar body these days I consider to be about 283mm upper bout, 370mm lower bout and 482mm length (all measured on the back). I know that for example the Ramirez 130 Años is just slightly smaller than that, which I like. Others are bigger. How big is the Andante?
Yamaha GC42S

JohnyZuper

Post by JohnyZuper » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Francisco wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:42 pm
Could anyone who has the Burguet Andante share the exact body dimensions here?
Body length: 476 mm.
Top bout: 267 mm wide & 94 mm deep.
Waist: 230 mm
Bottom bout: 360 mm wide & 97 mm deep.
―Michaël Samyn.

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:29 pm

JohnyZuper wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:37 pm
Francisco wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:42 pm
Could anyone who has the Burguet Andante share the exact body dimensions here?
Body length: 476 mm.
Top bout: 267 mm wide & 94 mm deep.
Waist: 230 mm
Bottom bout: 360 mm wide & 97 mm deep.
Thank you! Much appreciated.
Yamaha GC42S

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”