First thing to learn as a guitarist

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
MDevon

Re: First thing to learn as a guitarist

Post by MDevon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:25 pm

dng wrote:I only agree with #1

not #2 and #3
Why is that?

MDevon

Post by MDevon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:28 pm

Luis_Br wrote:Choose a good guitar method and follow it. A good method was already well thought by the writter, normally an experienced teacher. Start with first exercises and go on, probably will start playing open strings with RH alone.
Any classical guitar method books you recomend? My teacher started me on Aaron Shearer's method.

MDevon

Post by MDevon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:31 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:The first thing my teacher taught was ear training: how to produce a good tone. He filed and polished my nails first and taught me to produce tone on open strings without 'nail clicks'.
All good things that a guitarist should first learn. But ear training wasn't something my teacher worked with me until I became more proficient with guitar.

tbon

Post by tbon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:12 pm

MDevon wrote: Thank you for explaining yourself. I can see your why that would help you out. So, I assume that you wanted to know the rhythm of a piece rather than just learning how the piece felt and then just learning by memory. Although, I still believe memorizing a piece should always be the end goal of learning a song. As long as you still know the rhythm of the piece and not going off muscle memory, if I understand what you said.
Hi MDevon, I understand very well that concert pieces must be learned properly and memorized and maintained.

But in my case, after 14 months I already had too many pieces learned by heart, and started to forget many. Moreover, when trying to read the ones I forgot from the partition it was almost like starting from scratch, the reading was so so slow and painful. But since I am a beginner, my goal is to learn to play better the guitar and explore music and I don''t want to spend my time maintaining the already learned pieces (at my level I cannot speak of any "repertoire!") For me the solution was to finally start seriously to learn to sight read music and play from the partition.

Remarc

Post by Remarc » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:44 am

MDevon wrote:
Luis_Br wrote:Choose a good guitar method and follow it. A good method was already well thought by the writter, normally an experienced teacher. Start with first exercises and go on, probably will start playing open strings with RH alone.
Any classical guitar method books you recomend? My teacher started me on Aaron Shearer's method.
Take simply the books of Mr. Delcamp. So you have a perfect guitar course at your fingertips. To you they are for free here in the forum and you can use them for your lessons as you can read in the terms of use. The only cost is to make a copy for your students.

MDevon

Post by MDevon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:00 am

Hi MDevon, I understand very well that concert pieces must be learned properly and memorized and maintained.

But in my case, after 14 months I already had too many pieces learned by heart, and started to forget many. Moreover, when trying to read the ones I forgot from the partition it was almost like starting from scratch, the reading was so so slow and painful. But since I am a beginner, my goal is to learn to play better the guitar and explore music and I don''t want to spend my time maintaining the already learned pieces (at my level I cannot speak of any "repertoire!") For me the solution was to finally start seriously to learn to sight read music and play from the partition.
Now I understand what you mean. Yes, training to sight read and read from the score as a beginner student rather than being in a rut and repeating the same songs you already know is a much better way to grow as a musician.

mcmurray

Post by mcmurray » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:46 am

tbon wrote: 2. Don't memorize, read from the score.
Memorizing purely the mechanical movements of the left and right hand without regard for the sound of the piece? Bad. Don't do it.

Memorizing the sound of the piece of music? Absolutely. Once you have the tune in your head you will never forget it. And if you know the tune, and your ear to fretboard link is solid, you will never forget how to play it.

Goose997

Post by Goose997 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:10 am

Learn to read notes - not tabs.
Best regards,
Malan
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Antonio Marin Montero Spruce (June 2015)
Alhambra 10P Cedar
Alhambra 1C Cedar

MDevon

Post by MDevon » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:27 am

Goose997 wrote:Learn to read notes - not tabs.
Much agreed

elrond

Post by elrond » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:16 pm

tbon wrote:1. Take it slow.
2. Don't memorize, read from the score.
3. Don't watch the left hand.

Disclaimer: I am a student, not a teacher.
Re: item 2, sight reading ability is certainly important in classical music when compared to popular music (where it doesn't matter at all).

But memorization is a very important skill in my opinion. Among other things, memorization is the first step on the road to improvisation.

Chuck Cheesman

Post by Chuck Cheesman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:08 pm

When I teach folk/rock guitar, I do teach basic open chord shapes.

Coming to classical guitar after 30 years of playing, the chord shapes get in the way sometimes. I will often grab the entire chord shape out of habit even if I am just playing two or three strings. It's an unnecessary and inefficient habit that comes from playing folk and rock music. So for classical guitar, it seems unnecessary. One wants to play only the notes called for in the score.

The hardest basic technique for me to conquer has been and continues to be rest strokes. Even playing steel string fingerstyle pieces I had never used this technique. So if I was going to teach classical guitar, I'd likely introduce rest strokes right at the start playing individual notes, maybe using familiar melodies. It seems to be a mandatory skill according to most classical guitarists.

elrond

Post by elrond » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:24 pm

Chuck Cheesman wrote:Coming to classical guitar after 30 years of playing, the chord shapes get in the way sometimes. I will often grab the entire chord shape out of habit even if I am just playing two or three strings. It's an unnecessary and inefficient habit that comes from playing folk and rock music.
I share a similar background, but I find the ability to 'see' the whole sequence of chord shapes up and down the neck is actual a very helpful when working on classical music. To me it makes it easier understand the harmonies and chord progression of classical pieces.
Chuck Cheesman wrote:The hardest basic technique for me to conquer has been and continues to be rest strokes. Even playing steel string fingerstyle pieces I had never used this technique. So if I was going to teach classical guitar, I'd likely introduce rest strokes right at the start playing individual notes, maybe using familiar melodies. It seems to be a mandatory skill according to most classical guitarists.
I completely agree here. No one seems to use rest strokes at all in the steel string fingerstyle world. I haven't even tried to learn them yet, but I really should. My habit of using free strokes for everything is very deeply engrained.

Chuck Cheesman

Post by Chuck Cheesman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:59 pm

Well, I just took my first lesson with a new teacher. It's all about tone production - free and rest strokes this week. I have to put playing classical guitar in its own category in terms of practicing it. :-)

mpferreira

Post by mpferreira » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Move the guitar with care, or you will bump and scratch it a lot.

Then, hear what you are playing.

LFP

Post by LFP » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:16 am

Even before posture this should be inscribed anywhere music is taught:

ANY PAIN NO GAIN.

Pain means something is wrong and has no role in learning to play any instrument.

LFP

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”