" -Non-Purist's" - Arm Sleeve

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
jhapgood

" -Non-Purist's" - Arm Sleeve

Post by jhapgood » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:41 pm

At the risk of starting a riot and being branded as an outcast, I will mention an experiment I conducted recently by utilizing a football forearm guard as a sleeve to provide additional right arm padding and comfort while playing for extended periods.

Rather than using the guard with the padding facing outward, I turn the padding to the inside of the arm, and it is so very comfortable. The fit is firm and snug, and it does not shift or move around even after using it for a long while.

The outside of the sleeve is a tightly woven nylon, so it is quite smooth and allows easy right arm movement across the guitar without hanging up.

I realize that playing the classical guitar is not a contact sport, but it worked so well that I plan to continue to use it, even if it means I'll be mocked and jeered at from this point on! :lol:

The price was only about $10.00, and I've got two "guards" or sleeves that I can use. Just thought I'd share this for anyone else brave enough to try it! :roll:

Kind Regards,

Joe
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

Glene

Re: " -Non-Purist's" - Arm Sleeve

Post by Glene » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:59 pm

That sounds like a very simple but affective idea. I will definitely give it a try.

Steve O

Post by Steve O » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:13 pm

I usually play with long sleeves, but the last time one of my dress socks developed a hole I cut the foot off and used the cuff as an arm sleeve.

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:25 pm

The only drawback in using the "arm guard" so far is that I have this strong urge to tackle someone every time I slip it on, but other than that it's been working great! :lol:

Joe
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE

Nate Miller

Post by Nate Miller » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:16 pm

I've also taken an athletic sock and cut the toe off so it makes a "sleeve"

The "old sock" arm sleeve is one I've seen guys use since I was a kid.

slidika

Post by slidika » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:10 am

I usually use cut-off white tube sweat socks -- they work very well. My 'practice' socks are the ones with holes or fraying, while my 'performance' socks don't have any noticeable issues. 8)
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

bear

Post by bear » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:21 am

I also use a sock. Shari Lewis*, would be proud.

*You know your old if you don't have to "google" her.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

FHC

Re: "Non-Purist's" Arm Sleeve

Post by FHC » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:51 pm

jhapgood wrote:At the risk of starting a riot and being branded as an outcast, I will mention an experiment I conducted recently by utilizing a football forearm guard as a sleeve to provide additional right arm padding and comfort while playing for extended periods.

Rather than using the guard with the padding facing outward, I turn the padding to the inside of the arm, and it is so very comfortable. The fit is firm and snug, and it does not shift or move around even after using it for a long while.

The outside of the sleeve is a tightly woven nylon, so it is quite smooth and allows easy right arm movement across the guitar without hanging up.

I realize that playing the classical guitar is not a contact sport, but it worked so well that I plan to continue to use it, even if it means I'll be mocked and jeered at from this point on! :lol:

The price was only about $10.00, and I've got two "guards" or sleeves that I can use. Just thought I'd share this for anyone else brave enough to try it! :roll:

Kind Regards,

Joe
What name brand would you recommend? Was this purchased from Amazon? Thanks.

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:32 pm

I use a sock too

Concerning the football foreharm guard, I have known a guitarist that had developped a problem due to the border of the guitar making a pression in her arm. She had to wear an orthetic sleeve with a rigid part protecting the inner forearm from the hurting guitar border. Probably your football guard could have done the job :mrgreen:
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

JohnPierce

Post by JohnPierce » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:38 pm

bear wrote:I also use a sock. Shari Lewis*, would be proud.
Thanks, bear. I was wondering what to have for dinner and that's a good suggestion.

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:07 pm

jwp wrote:...Thanks, bear. I was wondering what to have for dinner and that's a good suggestion.
That's disgusting! Lambs should be frolicking in among the flowers of the field not served as chops on someones dinner plate... :mouton:

Suffice it to say, my rather dogmatic attitude on this matter doesn't carry much weight in a household dominated by an Aussie wife and two dogs of Australian Shepherd and Border Collie persuasion... :roll:

Due to a forearm muscle (flexor) injury a few years back, I tried my one of martial arts forearm pads as an arm sleeve. I expect it is similar to the football one. Worked very well but the whole "arm sock" thing brings out another of my rather dogmatic attitudes so as soon as the injury was healed the arm sleeve was retired. Good idea for those who need such a thing, I think.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

bchi123

Post by bchi123 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:45 am

+1 dress socks

I turn all my old dress socks with holes as arm socks haha!
When words leave off, music begins. ~Heinrich Heine

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:14 am

How many arms do you have?
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:02 pm

The purists are sounding very silent and no outcasting has been declared. Great to hear everyone's interesting socks.

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:30 pm

Whiteagle wrote:The purists are sounding very silent and no outcasting has been declared. Great to hear everyone's interesting socks.
That's because the "Purists" are busy rifling through their sock drawers, and not hanging out on Delcamp! :lol:

Kind Regards,

Joe
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”