Latest guitar support opinions

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Christopher Freitag

Re: Latest guitar support opinions

Post by Christopher Freitag » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:58 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:At the Parkening Master Class a week or so ago, he stated he would never walk out on stage with one of these supports, though they may be fine for practice. He called them "monstrosities." Of course he has retired from the concert stage, in part due to back troubles.
The irony of this is that such supports can alleviate strain on the back.
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

MikeH

Post by MikeH » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:18 pm

I'm probably out of date on guitar support. I've recently started playing again after a twenty year lapse. I bought a footstool without thinking of the options because that's how I was taught then and I don't remember any options except a triangular cushion under left leg and left foot on the floor. I bought one but never liked it.
And like 20 years ago my left leg goes dead after a while with a footstool
Should I be looking at a better way nowadays?

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:06 pm

MikeH wrote:And like 20 years ago my left leg goes dead after a while with a footstool
Should I be looking at a better way nowadays?
I had the same problem, although I was using an A-frame. I have switched to the Kris Barnett support and no longer have any problems with a "dead" left leg.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:21 pm

petermc61 wrote:I just go a De Oro from Diego at De Oro Music and my first impressions are very favourable. Have a look at his web site which shows videos of the adjustability of the support. It is economical, well made and easy to use.
Hi Peter, do these work with French Polished guitars? I thought suction cups don't stick properly and/or damage the finish?

-Paul

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:33 pm

Hi Paul

I also bought a few sets of static cling protective sheets from Diego and they work fine with these on. No marks from anything yet.

Peter

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:56 pm

I've tried:

A-Frame
Ok for the adjustment, but I found it a bit unstable for my adjustment. It would be better if the cloth part over the leg was wider.

Dynarette
Very nice, but the biggest one was not big enough to me. I had to use it together with a footstool. The footstool was very low, but still had to use it. I see several players doing this, I don't understand why they haven't made a bigger one yet.

Ergoplay
Great, good adjustment, but there is not so much guitar mobility.

Murata (suction cups type)
I could get a good final adjustment too. It is the one I am using now.
I think it is better than Ergoplay because of the mobility. I can twist and move the guitar a bit with this one, to vary RH angle and tone while playing. It is hard to do this with the Ergoplay.
The part with the suction cups has a small inclination and it is not perfectly perpendicular to the main pin that goes to the support over the leg. If this inclination was adjustable, it would be perfect.
Christopher Freitag wrote:
Rick Beauregard wrote:At the Parkening Master Class a week or so ago, he stated he would never walk out on stage with one of these supports, though they may be fine for practice. He called them "monstrosities." Of course he has retired from the concert stage, in part due to back troubles.
The irony of this is that such supports can alleviate strain on the back.
I love his quality of sound and dynamics in his recordings, but I've never seen him live. I saw in his latest videos at youtube he does not uses the 'a' finger anymore. At least in more recent videos his back seems with a bit better positioning. In his old videos he looked like "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". For sure it has some relation with his problems.

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:45 am

I bought a footstool last year right after I back to guitar playing as well and it accelerated my back problem. After some study here and net, I found below video and decided on the Murata. The main reason to me is it is secure and able to turn or "spin" a little bit horizontally.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nDQJYhPilek

I am hoping to see a product combine with Kris magnet and murata "turning" feature. That will be a killer support!
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:50 pm

I recently bought the mini from De Oro Music and find it to be a good product. I am using it on a flamenco so that model may not be the best one for classical. I previously put a sheet of golpeador material on the side (over french polish) and the cups hold quite well on that surface. As a test I tried the cups on the other side (french polish, no plastic sheet) and they seem to hold well although repeated applications may not prove as successful. As a historical note, I have previously used Efel (good product) and the Oasis that has the retractable suction cup (so-so product). I will be using the De Oro one from now on.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

Matthew Stidham

Post by Matthew Stidham » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:10 pm

Luis_Br wrote: I love his quality of sound and dynamics in his recordings, but I've never seen him live. I saw in his latest videos at youtube he does not uses the 'a' finger anymore. At least in more recent videos his back seems with a bit better positioning. In his old videos he looked like "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". For sure it has some relation with his problems.
It's my understanding that he's suffering from Focal Dystonia as well as back problems. That could be why no 'a' finger.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:24 am

Many of the top guitarists have had to fight focal dystonia. Parkening's parroting of Segovia's old-fashioned conservatism is hilarious, though.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Elizabeth Moreta

Post by Elizabeth Moreta » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:16 am

The Gitano is really inconspicuous. It packs away easily into the case and lets you adjust height. It is my favorite of the supports I've tried (dynarette, ergoplay). It looks much better when the player is sitting up straight than hunched over. I've never heard a concert go-er comment on the support. They should be commenting on the music....

roscoetuff

Post by roscoetuff » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:48 am

All of these will do the trick... some better than others. I've used most of them. With each... those first few months with them always seemed an advance over what I'd used before. Current enthusiasm for the Barnett follows this pattern. BUT on its behalf, the Barnett attaches to the same place each and every time so that your support in effect becomes part of the instrument in this way while also retaining the portability of easy off-and-on. I love it!!! So this one is a real advance.

That said, my wallbangers still have Gitanos... 'cause they do work fine... and all the other "retired" supports are around here somewhere... still "just in case". Though I did dump the Dynarettes. Need to get some more Barnett magnets for the rest.
Cheers,
Skip (Roscoetuff)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:19 pm

I use a Barnett support on one and a hybrid of Barnett and Ergoplay made by myself from a scavenged first generation Barnet (leather strap replaced through the Ergoplay arc) on another, and I like both, with slight preference for the hybrid...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:33 pm

I'm planning on purchasing a Barnett support. I currently use both footstool and a Dynarette. The only downside with the Dynarette is the "fart" noise it makes from time to time due to frictional moving under the guitar. I play guitar in my church and it can be a bit embarrassing to play a solo hymn only to accompany the ending plagal cadence with a "pzzzzrrrrt" noise.
"Besides, this criticism of Segovia is pointless. If you disagree with what Segovia did, take that energy and go out and do something positive. Otherwise, shut up." - Eliot Fisk

David Belcher

Post by David Belcher » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:59 pm

Sean Eric Howard wrote:I'm planning on purchasing a Barnett support. I currently use both footstool and a Dynarette. The only downside with the Dynarette is the "fart" noise it makes from time to time due to frictional moving under the guitar. I play guitar in my church and it can be a bit embarrassing to play a solo hymn only to accompany the ending plagal cadence with a "pzzzzrrrrt" noise.
:lol:

I just purchased a Barnett support recently from fellow Delcamper David Conti at his store Reverie in Indianapolis. It is the best quality support I have found and provides more, well, support than any other (including a footstool—definitely than a Dynarette). The only potential downside I've so far discovered is once you've gotten the magnets fixed in place to the guitar with the adhesive strips you can't adjust the position of the support on/in the guitar without removing them and starting over (luckily the 3M adhesive strips are easily available so this isn't THAT big a deal). There are two height adjustment knobs on either side of the support and you can also change the angle of the guitar relative to your body without having to "start over," but I am having the issue that the height of the chair I play in changes the angle of the neck enough that I notice. So, when I set the adhesive and magnets in the guitar, I had the angle of the neck right where I wanted it and the left height adjustment was already at its highest setting, and I was sitting in a rather low chair. Once I used a higher chair, however, the neck angle became too low for me. I'm still exploring how to get this just right. Obviously with a footstool I could just adjust the height to fit each chair. I'm interested to hear if others have had better solutions to this. I like my neck angle to be about 45 degrees or less from my body—I have more trouble with the left hand when it gets closer to 70 degrees.
"In music I think it's very, very dangerous if you start to compare and say, 'This is good, this is not good, this is only one possibility' . . . there are so many possibilities, but what is important is to be open to that." - Pavel Steidl

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”