Latest guitar support opinions

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
khayes

Re: Latest guitar support opinions

Postby khayes » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:20 pm

Sean Eric Howard wrote:I'm planning on purchasing a Barnett support. I currently use both footstool and a Dynarette. The only downside with the Dynarette is the "fart" noise it makes from time to time due to frictional moving under the guitar. I play guitar in my church and it can be a bit embarrassing to play a solo hymn only to accompany the ending plagal cadence with a "pzzzzrrrrt" noise.

Sean, would love to hear some of your church pieces. Might they be posted anywhere?
Ken

roscoetuff

Postby roscoetuff » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:36 am

David: Think I'm somewhere between 45 and 60 degrees for my preference and mount the Barnett closer to where the bridge is. There must be some sort of diagram that could be used to figure the ideal attachment point that would make it so that the range of adjustment was at the center of the range for the Barnett. Then you could adjust up and down. I TRIED to find this when I was mounting the magnets... but failed. So my adjustments are at dead flat lowest level possible. Big OOOPS! Yeah... the answer is to get more doublestick tape. Yet if I were Barnett folks, I'd suggest making an outline of the guitar body and neck on a piece of cardboard.. and working from there. Maybe I will.... hmmmm....
Cheers,
Skip (Roscoetuff)

Dofpic

Postby Dofpic » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:38 am

Parkening says it was back problems but I am positive from watching some videos it is Focal dystonia that pretty much destroyed his playing. Im sure his posture did not help either. I So a support might of helped him.
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober, 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2012 Jochen Rothel,2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)
2012 Michel Bruck ,2012 Martin Blackwell, 2001 Dominique Field
Cedar, 2009 Achim Gropius,2015 Daniele Chiesa, 2015 John Dick, 2014 Joshua DeJonge

LaurenceMardon

Postby LaurenceMardon » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:04 am

I've tried most of the supports people have been talking about here, with limited success. It's a matter of attempting to find both a playing position that doesn't result in an aching back, and one that lets you produce a beautiful tone without putting your body thru strange contortions.

Although some might think I'm a non-traditionalist cretin for doing this, on the advice of my teacher I had my luthier put in a couple of pins so I could use a guitar strap. The difference has been just massive: I now can have the guitar exactly where I want it without the slightest bit of physical discomfort, and I can play both standing and sitting down. The guitar never feels 'insecure' in my hands, and my body can move and breathe freely. Lutenists used straps, why not guitarists?
Daryl Perry (free) copy of a Domingo Esteso. Spruce. Brazilian back with central maple strip.

sparrowhawk

Postby sparrowhawk » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:48 am

I like the strap idea too. My preferred guitar is a baby Torres copy (SE 117) with a really small body. Back in the day when those guitars were new and in use everybody used a strap. Nowadays classical guitarists are mostly opposed to using a strap! I use one and really like it, easy on the back, can play sitting or standing, and can move a bit while playing and the guitar remains really stable.

Rich Jarvis

Postby Rich Jarvis » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:25 pm

The strap idea is interesting. After about 3 years of playing I went through a phase of backache and what felt like tennis elbow, and tried different left footrest positions without success. So after reading about the Barret support here I bought one and could not be happier. I am much more relaxed and comfortable when playing. It took some trial and error to find a happy place for the magnets before I fixed them in place .... my only complaint is that I have the adjustments set to their minimum height and the leg rest to maximum angle ---- the design would probably provide more options for a larger person than me, but it works so I am happy. I also think that the support allow me to hold the guitar away from me a bit and the tone seems clearer and brighter to me. Maybe I was dampening the sound by holding the body too close.

lizhogg

Postby lizhogg » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:07 pm

My favorite guitar support is Aria GR-2B

I've used a variety (foot stool, Murata GR-1, cushion) and the Aria GR-2B has definitely been the most comfortable.
I suffered from a herniated lumber disc for a few years caused or at least intensified by using a foot stool for my first 3 years of playing.
When I switched to having both feet on the floor for my back, it was such a relief and of all the supports that facilitate that, the Aria GR-2B is the only one I've come across that does zero damage to the finish of the guitar and is the most secure as well as comfortable.

When I used the Murata GR-1 for about a year, the suction cups left marks on my guitar, and more importantly they would un-stick from the guitar at times in the middle of playing. For me, that would make them a complete non-option for performance and even general practice.

ritchie

Postby ritchie » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:20 pm

A silly remark from Parkening, I cant imagine being offended by the sight of any contraption, and if the player is any good I'll be listening not judging the visual aesthetics.

One thing I've wondered - isnt the shape of the guitar wrong if we need to use footstools or supports? Why dont luthiers design them with an integral support?

Ritchie

ronjazz

Postby ronjazz » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:53 am

Funny, everybody has problems with the supports, because they are difficult to adjust for different chairs. This is why a strap is really more efficient in so many ways. The angle stays the same, even when you're standing, or sitting on a stool or a chair. It gives you the opportunity to practice standing up, moving around, generally better for your overall health. And plastic hooks can be attached using double-sided foam tape or an adhesive putty, so no drilling is necessary. I do many non-classical gigs with a Godin Multiac nylon-strung 7-string guitar, and I occasionally use a guitar synth or a looper, so standing really allows me to operate the pedals easily (not a concern for pure classical players who prefer to sit). In any event, most therapists dealing with focal dystonia or physical issues think the strap is a good answer to maintaining your overall back and joint health, even if only used for practicing.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Iain

Postby Iain » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:31 pm

I have been looking at the barnet support, the only problem I think,
would be the constant pulling off and on, damaging the french
polish on my guitar. Does anyone have any experience with one?

laoren

Postby laoren » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:59 am

I use it on my oil finish guitar. No damages but I put a soft cloth where the contact points will be to ease my mind...

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:57 am

These days I use mostly a hybrid bred from a Barnett support Ver.2.0 and an Ergoplay Tappert model. It is the stablest and most comfortable for me, and I like the combination of magnet and sucction cup.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

celestemcc

Postby celestemcc » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:07 pm

After I started having back trouble from the footstool, I first tried a Dynarette... better than a footstool, back-wise, but moved too much, even with a grippy cloth across my leg, and never quite high enough. Then got an Ergoplay (Tappert) which I liked much better. But it was something of a pain, in that while not heavy, it was bulky. I'm currently using the DeOro, which I've had maybe 6 weeks, and like it quite a bit. Very unobtrusive and non-bulky; it would easily fit in most case compartments. (it doesn't in my Visesnut case, but for me it's not a deal-breaker because it's still easier to carry than the Ergoplay.) What I especially like is that it seems to work well whatever the chair height (short of a very tall stool) and allows the guitar some movement, like with a footstool but without the torque to my back. It also lets me adjust neck angle more easily than the other supports I've used.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

tom2977

Postby tom2977 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:13 pm

Iain wrote:I have been looking at the barnet support, the only problem I think,
would be the constant pulling off and on, damaging the french
polish on my guitar. Does anyone have any experience with one?

I have a high quality french polished guitar and been using the Barnett support for months with not a single mark on it. If you put it on and remove it in the way they recommend it is hardly any impact on the surface.
Last edited by tom2977 on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pogmoor

Postby pogmoor » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:41 pm

laoren wrote:I use it on my oil finish guitar. No damages but I put a soft cloth where the contact points will be to ease my mind...

I've started using it on my oil finished guitar too - so far so good!
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”