Latest guitar support opinions

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Charles Mokotoff

Re: Latest guitar support opinions

Postby Charles Mokotoff » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:18 am

I am fine with the dynarette, now that I have stapled some grippy stuff under it. Why they don't put something more effective than the tiny rubber strip on the bottom I cannot figure.
I think someone needs to create one with an internal bladder that is inflatable. That way we could keep it in the case once deflated, sorta like the old PlayOnAir the string guys used. Not sure if it would work, but worth a shot.

Iain

Postby Iain » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:48 pm

tom2977 wrote:
Iain wrote:I have been looking at the barnet support, the only problem I think,
would be the constant pulling off and on, damaging the french
polish on my guitar. Does anyone have any experience with one?

I have a high quality french polished guitar and been using the Barnett support for months with not a single mark on it. If you put it on and remove it in the way they recommend it is hardly any impact on the surface.

Thanks for the information, I think I'll give one a try.

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:17 pm

tom2977 wrote:
Iain wrote:I have been looking at the barnet support, the only problem I think,
would be the constant pulling off and on, damaging the french
polish on my guitar. Does anyone have any experience with one?

I have a high quality french polished guitar and been using the Barnett support for months with not a single mark on it. If you put it on and remove it in the way they recommend it is hardly any impact on the surface.

Don't see any problem on my guitars. Also you could use some thin nonadhesive foil between body and support if you are affraif of marks. The extra 1/10 of a mm is not a big thing for the strong magnets.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Iain

Postby Iain » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:39 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the ponticello guitar support.
Any information would be appreciated. I think it's made in Germany.
Thanks.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:58 pm

Charles Mokotoff wrote:I am fine with the dynarette, now that I have stapled some grippy stuff under it. Why they don't put something more effective than the tiny rubber strip on the bottom I cannot figure.

Charles, last week I posted a thread about "the Euro SBM?"(viewtopic.php?f=43&t=101760&p=1084769#p1084599). The place sells some interesting versions of the Dynarette. Check it out.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

Paul Nicholas

Postby Paul Nicholas » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:22 pm

Greetings!

After getting tired of dragging a footstool around, I finally broke down and bought an EFEL support! It is awesome! It has one large suction cup which makes me slightly nervous, should it fail, but overall, it's fantastic! It positions the guitar perfectly and makes playing so much more comfortable and easy. No idea why I waited so long to get one!

Thx!

Paul
2016 Cervantes Hauser Concert (SP/IN)
2016 Yamaha C40
2012 Yamaha Silent Classical Guitar (SLG130NW)
2003 Seagull Coastline S6 (Folk Cedar)

pima1234

Postby pima1234 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:46 pm

Barnett + Abel Arm Rest + Oasis Grip Strip

Lots of additional hardware... but, it works.
What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

ronjazz

Postby ronjazz » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:09 am

Well, Parkening is nothing if not a traditionalist, so his objection is real, for him.

I'm very much at home with a strap. Done right, it's quite remarkable the sense of involvement you can get in ensemble work. And you can either sit or stand with it. What I found was that the use of the strap for practicing (and any gig it would work for) allows the use of the footstool in strictly classical guitar recital settings. The footstool is more of a problem in the hour-after-hour world of seated practicing, but to use it for those occasions where it seems right is generally painless if you've been practicing standing, which aligns your body naturally.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Charles Mokotoff

Postby Charles Mokotoff » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:55 am

Any more feedback on the Barnett support? It looks fantastic and I got to try it a while ago, very excited by the idea of not having to lug the Dynarette around. However, when I was trying it, it collapsed under me. Might have been a one time thing, I had connected it on wrong, or maybe I put weight on the guitar while playing and it just isn't for me. Though everyone else loves it. Seems like a wonderful solution to me.

astro64

Postby astro64 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:19 pm

Never had it collapse on me Charles, not sure how that could happen? It it is very solid.

Bill B

Postby Bill B » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:44 pm

Anyone used the gracie support? Its more like the guitarpodaison or however its spelled that Aguado famously advocated. I bought one a few years back when a car accident made the normal posture difficult. I still have it, but don't really use it. Im curious if anyone has had any more luck with it than me?
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

pima1234

Postby pima1234 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:01 pm

There are specific directions provided for avoiding the possibility of the Barnett support collapsing.

I've had no issues with mine, other than I wish there was a tall (or extended) version available.
What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

LesC

Postby LesC » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:16 am

My back has been a problem since a snow-shoveling incident a few years ago. Beyond 30 minutes of playing, I was in pain. Thanks to the wonderful players on this forum that use and advocate the use of a strap, guys like AndreiKrylov, I decided to go for it. For me, it was a great decision. What a feeling of freedom to be able to stand or sit in a comfortable position, being able to change positions even while playing, not being glued to a footstool, with the guitar always positioned correctly!

Dofpic

Postby Dofpic » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:15 pm

I have one everyone should try. SoloDuo turned me on to it. They both us it. The Hagi guitar support built in Germany.

www.hagi-guitar.com

I just got it a couple of days ago Super stable does not come off or collapse. I think is also does not slip down your leg like the Barnett does sometime. I also like the fact that You are not putting a heavy weight magnet inside your guitar which is extremely difficult to remove. I will use it a few more days before reporting more but after 5 hours of practice I really like it.
Spruce..Fritz Ober spruce/maple/Eric Sahlin Spruce/Braz
J. Rothel/maple/spruce/Enrico Bottelli Spruce/brazilian/Michel Bruck/spruce/braz
Cedar... A Gropius/Daniel Chiesa Indian/cedar, John Dick double top

larryguitar

Postby larryguitar » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:17 pm

Dofpic wrote:I have one everyone should try. SoloDuo turned me on to it. They both us it. The Hagi guitar support built in Germany.

http://www.hagi-guitar.com

I just got it a couple of days ago Super stable does not come off or collapse. I think is also does not slip down your leg like the Barnett does sometime. I also like the fact that You are not putting a heavy weight magnet inside your guitar which is extremely difficult to remove. I will use it a few more days before reporting more but after 5 hours of practice I really like it.

Do you have to stick things on the outside of the guitar to make it stay on? My German is a little rusty.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”