Latest guitar support opinions

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
mgeoffriau

Re: Latest guitar support opinions

Post by mgeoffriau » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:25 pm

Dofpic wrote:Do you have to stick things on the outside of the guitar to make it stay on? My German is a little rusty.
Apparently you adhere Velcro strips to the guitar and the support attaches to the Velcro.
The adhesive of the Velcro does not leave marks or damage on either conventional guitar paints still fragile shellac polishes
Yamaha CG-101
Cordoba Cadete
Kenny Hill New World Estudio 628C

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:42 pm

Yes they stick on really well. Not meant to take on or off like the Barnett but I tried it on three different guitars over a week period and when you take them off they do not seem to scratch or mar the french polish at all. Taking the support itself off of the guitar or separating from the velcro strips is not easy at first as it is really meant to stay attached and folds to fit in the case(depending on how tight the fit is). It does not come off as easy as the Barnett support but it does go onto the velcro strings easily and you do not have 2 heavy magnets inside the guitar. it does not harm the finish like suction cups do and it holds the guitar in place very securely. SoloDuo does 60 concerts a year and said they have never had an issue at all.
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober, 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2012 Jochen Rothel,2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)
2012 Michel Bruck ,2012 Martin Blackwell, 2001 Dominique Field
Cedar, 2009 Achim Gropius,2015 Daniele Chiesa, 2014 Joshua DeJonge

astro64

Post by astro64 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:10 pm

I guess for me velcro on the outside of the guitar is a bigger no-no than magnets on the inside of the guitar. Also, suction cups don't seem to damage the finish of all guitars when the finish is fully cured. I have some french-polished guitars and one with lacquer and there is no damage from using the supports. If the finish has some pores they may not hold, that is a drawback. I agree the Barnett support can slide, as can the Ergo. A shame to design such good supports and then fail to make them properly slip resistant. I glue some fine-grit sandpaper to the bottom.

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:50 am

So Far after 7 hours of practice I would say it is the best when it comes actual support when it comes to secure adjustable not heavy easy to store etc. If you leave it on all the time like SoloDuo and fold it up and put it in the case(provided it fits) then I think it is the way to go. If on the other hand you have a lot of guitars like me and you do not want the small velcro strips on the underside of your instruments then it does not work. If you have only one or two then I think it is the way to go if you want the most secure and adjustable support.
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober, 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2012 Jochen Rothel,2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)
2012 Michel Bruck ,2012 Martin Blackwell, 2001 Dominique Field
Cedar, 2009 Achim Gropius,2015 Daniele Chiesa, 2014 Joshua DeJonge

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:50 pm

As I'm playing more and more with the guitar on my right leg, in a kind of flamenco position, I started also to use a support called 'Efel' with one bic sucction cup, and in combination with an adhesive sticker it works very nicely, too.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:52 pm

Dofpic wrote:I have one everyone should try. SoloDuo turned me on to it. They both us it. The Hagi guitar support built in Germany.

http://www.hagi-guitar.com

I just got it a couple of days ago Super stable does not come off or collapse. I think is also does not slip down your leg like the Barnett does sometime. I also like the fact that You are not putting a heavy weight magnet inside your guitar which is extremely difficult to remove. I will use it a few more days before reporting more but after 5 hours of practice I really like it.
still liking this guitar support?

fred
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”