The Assad Brothers Technique

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
oski79

The Assad Brothers Technique

Post by oski79 » Tue May 19, 2015 3:34 pm

I had the great pleasure of seeing the Assads in concert at the beautiful Weill Hall at Sonoma State University a few days ago. It's the third or fourth time I've seen them, and each time I wonder how they evolved to play in such different positions, as you can see from this picture, from their website:

Odair plays with the lower bout resting on his right thigh, the guitar held high, sometimes up to about a 45 degree angle, and his chin very close to and sometimes touching the upper bout. His right wrist is in a generally straight, neutral position. He is often on his tip-toes, swaying with the music, almost like dancing with the guitar.

Sergio, on the other hand, plays in a much more "traditional" posture. He uses a really high foot stool, his right forearm is almost parallel to his waist, and his wrist torqued downward much like you see in pictures of Tarrega, Segovia, etc.

They were both taught by their father initially, then had the same teacher, so I find it interesting that their technique is so different.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Tonyyyyy

Re: The Assad Brothers Technique

Post by Tonyyyyy » Thu May 21, 2015 1:32 am

It is great that they are playing again together. i see the differences. Maybe they will answer here or elsewhere .

I remember how impressive they were.

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:28 am

In older vídeos Odair plays in same posture as Sergio. It seems he changed lately, but I've heard from him he also always liked to practice with the guitar over the right leg, so he developed the posture in the picture. It is a common posture for choro players here in Brazil.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:35 am

Also similar to flamenco old-style positioning, with lower bout on right leg.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:33 am

thanks for the picture and the thinking, that is interesting to me!

I noticed there are a few good (not necessarily famous) players using the right thigh. I wonder if this is bringing something to them, as for me used to play the traditional way (but with not with the broken wrist "à la Segovia"), I really find this posture inconvenient. I would be interested to hear good arguments for playing on right thigh. Does that make choro or flamenco more easy to play?

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:18 am

Carlos wrote:thanks for the picture and the thinking, that is interesting to me!

I noticed there are a few good (not necessarily famous) players using the right thigh. I wonder if this is bringing something to them, as for me used to play the traditional way (but with not with the broken wrist "à la Segovia"), I really find this posture inconvenient. I would be interested to hear good arguments for playing on right thigh. Does that make choro or flamenco more easy to play?
It is not a problem as long as you don't need to move right arm too much to seek diffent sound color, something which choro or flamenco don' t use as much, but I feel as a restriction to the classical style.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”