petermc61

AU $.5750US James Frieson spruce 2012, Sydney AU - Sold

Post by petermc61 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:45 am

Type / luthier: James Frieson Classical
- Year of construction: 2012
- Scale length (mm): 650mm
- Top: Swiss spruce
- Back/Sides: African Blackwood
- Neck/Fingerboard: cedar with ebony fingerboard, 52 mm nut width with 42.5mm string spacing at nut and 57mm at saddle.
- Sound: A very rich guitar, with bass weight and warmth, coupled with a strong but tonally well rounded first string. Very even and balanced sound.
- Condition: Excellent, almost mint.
- Price: $5,750 USD
- Viewing: local viewing possible

For sale is a stunning Jim Frieson spruce top guitar, made in 2012. The top is matched to a gorgeous African Blackwood back and sides. The top French polished, with a lacquer on back and sides. Quality of workmanship and finish is first class and in beautiful condition.

In terms of sound I think I have described it quite well. I'd add that it sounds very much like a Rohe I played recently but with a little extra warmth and very good sustain top to bottom. Certainly it's in the league of the Rohe.

The overall condition is excellent, almost mint. The guitar had a fret dress only three months ago and plays beautifully.

Gotoh 510 deluxe tuners, Hiscox Pro II case.

Action at 12th fret 3.95mm on low E, 3.2mm on high e. There are two alternate saddles available as well.

Will ship worldwide. Indicative price to do this is about US$250-300 to USA/CAN/Europe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MPRT

Re: AU $.5750US James Frieson spruce 2012, Sydney AU

Post by MPRT » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:46 pm

Hi Peter,
I think this guitar is one of the most beautiful looking instruments I have seen on this site or any site for some time. The African Blackwood is just spectacular. I have a steel string guitar made by Michael Bashkin, which also has AB back and sides and can attest to the tonal as well as aesthetic qualities of AB. I have no doubt that it sounds as good as it looks.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:13 pm

Michael

It is indeed a beautiful guitar, both sonically and visually.

Peter

nnovoa

Post by nnovoa » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:19 am

Hi Pete,

any details about bracing and construction (double sides, etc.)? The guitar is indeed very beautiful. Regards
"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul." J.S.Bach
"Principles governing music are the same which govern life".

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:45 am

Fan bracing. I don't believe it has double sides.

Peter

rounie

Post by rounie » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:59 am

Hello Peter,

Beautiful guitar indeed..since you are experienced with luthier guitars, can you mention how this would go up against guitars by Kazuo sato,

Yuichi Imai, Kohno RF & Joshia de jonge (assuming all are spruce) in selection of materials,playability,finish, sound, & craftsmanship wise?

Your opinion is highly valuable to me as i have been planning a guitar in spruce for quite some time..
Let Music Unite All............
Richard Howell No.408 Cedar/Indian-2007

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:13 am

rounie wrote:Hello Peter,

Beautiful guitar indeed..since you are experienced with luthier guitars, can you mention how this would go up against guitars by Kazuo sato,

Yuichi Imai, Kohno RF & Joshia de jonge (assuming all are spruce) in selection of materials,playability,finish, sound, & craftsmanship wise?

Your opinion is highly valuable to me as i have been planning a guitar in spruce for quite some time..
Hi Rounie

I am sorry, I have not played a Sato, Imai or Joshia de Jonge. I have also not played a Sakurai Kohno RF (I rather dislike raised fingerboard guitars) but I did own a 2010 Sakurai Kohno Special. I can make a few comments between the Frieson and that Special.

The Special was a lighter sounding guitar, very open and pure, nicely balanced but a little tight. The Frieson has a deeper, stronger bass with a richer treble. It is a little more dynamic and has a looser, more relaxed sound. The Friseon would be a great guitar if you are looking for a spruce guitar on the richer end of the spectrum - it is not bright or thin.

Regards
Peter

rounie

Post by rounie » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:21 am

Many thanks for the prompt reply Peter-really nice of you :)

Sorry to bother you, one last question...how would the Frieson compare to the fan braced spruce Kellaway or Richard howell In Spruce?

Many thanks in advance.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:30 am

Hi Rounie

It sounds a bit closer to the Howell spruce overall (comparing to my spruce/Madagascar). The mid ranges are both quite similar. The Frieson has a little more bass weight and warmth. The trebles are similar.

Compared to the Kellaway, the basses are fairly similar - weighty and warm. The Kellaway mids are a little more open and the trebles a touch brighter.

All three play very easily and are all built with great care and workmanship.

Best regards
Peter

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:10 am

petermc61 wrote: - Sound: A very rich guitar, with bass weight and warmth, coupled with a strong but tonally well rounded first string. Very even and balanced sound.
Hi Peter,
Just curious... Which strings do you use on this one?

Good luck with the sale.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:27 am

ben etow wrote:
petermc61 wrote: - Sound: A very rich guitar, with bass weight and warmth, coupled with a strong but tonally well rounded first string. Very even and balanced sound.
Hi Peter,
Just curious... Which strings do you use on this one?

Good luck with the sale.
Ben

Oasis Sostenuto normal tension basses/Mari 100p trebles.

Regards
Peter

rounie

Post by rounie » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:00 am

Many thanks Peter, good luck with the sale!!

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:50 pm

Surprised this hasn't sold yet. Frieson makes fantastic guitars. This one is at a really fair price especially considering it has beautiful African Blackwood back/sides.

I had a chance to try two Friesons myself not too long ago and they were among my favorite when put head to head with many other high end makers. Excellent workmanship, great volume, good separation, deep basses... where the guitar really stood out was in the sweet, colorful, full of character trebles that added more soul to the song that was being played. Not sure how this one would compare in African BW but I'd imagine it would still have the same signature Frieson tone as Peter describes.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:42 pm

I'm surprised it's still here too!

I think you describe the sound and the finish well. The one thing I would add is that all notes have weight - whether that is the bass, mids or treble. Notes have true substance. No thin, lightweight or weak sounds here! It's both a powerful and a refined instrument.

Peter

Ludwig

Post by Ludwig » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:40 pm

A beautiful guitar, never heard of this luthier before...

Return to “Archives of past "Classical Guitars for Sale"”