- Back/Sides: Indian Rosewood
- Fingerboard/bridge: Ebony/wenge
- Tuners: Alessi H-8
- Sound: Full, clear, extraordinary sustain, very even top string
- Condition: Excellent, few nail marks
- Price: $6000
- Viewing/trial possible: Local only
- Location (nearest city): Washington DC area

I only had this guitar for a year, but was lucky enough to have a Toni Mueller drop in my lap. That is the only reason I am selling the John Dick. This instrument compares very favorably to the Mueller, in fact, the similarity between the two guitars is one of the major reasons I decided to sell it. I am expecting a spruce guitar this summer which will make more sense to me for an addition to my collection than keeping two very fine cedar double tops.

John has a year waiting list and asks $7K for a similar instrument. It really does sound like what you hear in the videos, and the guitar was only a month old at that recording session. Since then, its opened up considerably. Its really outstanding. Feel free to ask me for any more details.

Sound:
https://youtu.be/RF7EiUPKUzM
https://youtu.be/fphqRo0eAFQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

petermc61

Re: US $.6000 John H. Dick cedar 2016, Potomac, MD

Post by petermc61 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:11 am

John makes very, very fine instruments. Playability is excellent too and the finish exceptional.

When Charles says the first strings sustains he is understating it. I last played my Dick two days ago and I can still hear it inside the case! Seriuously though, I have never had a first string as even as this nor one with as much sustain.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:10 am

I've played this guitar....exceptional in every way! GLWS!

Tim W

Post by Tim W » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:00 am

If I wasn't already "over-guitared", I'd jump on this. I heard it in recital and it was amazing! Good luck!

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:22 pm

Love this guitar....thinking on it as I don't reallyl need another guitar but would like to have a cedar top guitar. Hmmm

Cincy2

Post by Cincy2 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Good luck with the sale Charles. It is a beauty. You only buy the good ones.

As for me....help me Mozart I just bought a banjo! Not very sophisticated but oh so much fun.

Eric
A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:57 pm

petermc61 wrote:John makes very, very fine instruments. Playability is excellent too and the finish exceptional.

When Charles says the first strings sustains he is understating it. I last played my Dick two days ago and I can still hear it inside the case! Seriuously though, I have never had a first string as even as this nor one with as much sustain.
Hey Peter, was wondering how you find the JD in comparison with some of your favorite traditionally built guitars?
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:59 pm

Cincy2 wrote:Good luck with the sale Charles. It is a beauty. You only buy the good ones.

As for me....help me Mozart I just bought a banjo! Not very sophisticated but oh so much fun.

Eric
Oh no, a banjo? How's that working out? :shock:

FHC

Post by FHC » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:16 am

What a beauty. Good luck Charles.

What spruce guitar is coming thus summer?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:38 am

souldier wrote:
petermc61 wrote:John makes very, very fine instruments. Playability is excellent too and the finish exceptional.

Hey Peter, was wondering how you find the JD in comparison with some of your favorite traditionally built guitars?
It is different. As you might know, I am a very big fan of Hauser-style instruments and love their tone and intimacy. Unlike Charles, I am not a performer and don't play live so volume and projection are not that important to me, so long as the guitar has some dynamic life.

My JD still has a little of the double top sound that the very best traditional guitars don't. It is really quite minor and I certainly enjoy its tone very much, something I don't do with many DT or almost any lattice I have heard. The 'DT sound' (in the midrange) seems to be lessening further over time and with play. This is something that Charles also observed I believe - given his has more play than mine and I think he has a stronger right hand I suspect it would be very subtle with the guitar for sale here. The bass of DTs to my ear is more Spanish in character (what I have heard in Ramirez guitars and in a 1965 Fleta I once owned - strong and even) but without the looser 'bloom' that Hauser style guitars seem to have. The overall sustain and the first string sustain and evenness in particular surpass any traditional instrument that I have owned.

Charles is offering up a great guitar at a fantastic price, that is certain.

Peter

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:54 am

This guitar has sold. Admins please archive. Thanks all!

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:27 am

Congratulations Charles. Somebody got an excellent guitar at a great price.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Congratulations Charles. That is an amazing guitar and someone is certainly fortunate to acquire it!
Hauser III 2014!

Return to “Archives of past "Classical Guitars for Sale"”