US $..800 Ruben Esquivel spruce 1987, Thoreau, NM

romanticguitars

US $..800 Ruben Esquivel spruce 1987, Thoreau, NM

Post by romanticguitars » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:25 am

This guitar was built by Ruben Esquivel in 1987 in Albuquerque, New Mexico while working with Albuquerque luthier Lorenzo Pimentel. The guitar has a damaged top (multiple cracks) and many many repairs by various people. The guitar sounds wonderful, however I believe it should have the top replaced and was going to do it but just don't have the time. It would be a great project for an aspiring luthier. H/S case. You would be welcome to come to my shop and play it and/or pick it up. If shipped will be carefully packed.

Scale length: 650 mm
Top: Spruce
Back/sides: Brazilian Rosewood
Fingerboard: Ebony
Sound: Warm and sweet
Condition: Damaged but playable
Viewing and trial is certainly welcome
Nearest city is Albuquerque, New Mexico

The model is "Concierto #1" and the label is signed by Ruben. I acquired this beautiful instrument from the vice president of guitar studies at the University of New Mexico. There were three of these made, this is number 1, the other two sold for over $2000.00 each. I am asking $800.00 but will accept the best offer.

I have a lot of photos and will be happy to email them to you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart." Segovia

James Tranlong

Re: US $800.00 Ruben Esquivel, spruce 1987 Thoreau, NM

Post by James Tranlong » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:16 pm

A few questions if I may.

1) I can't find any info on the Net concerning Ruben Esquivel, luthier (although, I did find Pimentel). Can you enlighten us?

2) How much un-assembly one needs to do to replace the sound board? I saw a Youtube clip on this topic, and the guy cut the fret board at the 12th fret to remove the damaged sound board, and re-glue the cut section afterwards. Don't we need to replace the entire fret board, since the frets may not match the new string length?

3) Is the rosette unique to these 3 guitars, and should it be saved and re-use on the new sound board?

4) How much time would it take to replace the sound board?

5) Do we need to shellac the entire guitar?

Please excuse the barrage of questions, but the post intrigues me...

James

Intune

Re: US $..800 Ruben Esquivel spruce 1987, Thoreau, NM

Post by Intune » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:45 pm

If, as you say, the guitar sounds "wonderful" and is still playable as is, why does the top need to be replaced? Couldn't the soundboard cracks be stabilized without such radical surgery, which, after all, could result in the instrument sounding less than wonderful? There are many guitars out there making beautiful music with heavily repaired soundboards. Is your suggestion merely to improve aesthetics? The soundboard doesn't look bad in your photo, which shows no obvious major damage. Please explain why it needs a new top.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

romanticguitars

Post by romanticguitars » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Okay and thanks for your inquiries. (1.) I don't know much about Ruben Esquivel, other than what was told to me by John Truitt who was the vice president of guitar studies at the University of New Mexico. I purchased the guitar from him. And a second Esquivel guitar was sold by Stan Berg at the Guitar Vista in Albuquerque. All I really know is that the guitar was built under the watchful eye of Lorenzo Pimentel in his shop. I think Esquivel was a student of his. I believe he is in Florida now but I don't know for sure.
(2) Removing the top is not all that difficult if you have the right tools and do it VERY carefully. Begin by pulling the 12th fret and razor saw cut through the fingerboard. Everyone probably has their own way of removing a top, but I use a Dremel tool with a cutter bit and a guide. (3) I think you could find a comparable rosette, so no I wouldn't try to use the old one. (4) It takes me about a week to replace a top if I don't have a lot of interruptions. But this would depend on your wood working skill level I think. (5) The guitar is beautiful beneath all the scratches and worn finish. If it were me I would strip it and refinish the entire instrument. That said, there is the school of thought to just leave it alone and polish up the original patina. It would be a personal choice if you replaced the top. I just went down to my shop to measure the top and it's right at 2 mm. I also looked it over again and really you could just leave it alone except for top if you wanted to replace it. It seems to have been repaired by several luthiers. You can go to my site to see a before and after montage of a classical guitar I restored from South America bluewaterguitars.com

When I first bought the Esquivel I was going to just do a complete restore since it was such a nice instrument but just have been too busy. I had listed the guitar for considerably less here locally but this isn't exactly the best place to offer nylon stringed instruments. So I upgraded it (new tuners) and did a few more repairs on the top. That said I would take less for it without a case or tuning machines if you wanted to clean it up yourself.

All THAT said, You just leave it alone and play it! I played the guitar for a local newspaper crew who was doing a story on my guitars and the team lit up when I played the Esquivel. The general reaction was "wow". But being the perfectionist (an illness with no known cure) I just would like to see it restored. I'll see if I can attach a couple more photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart." Segovia

James Tranlong

Post by James Tranlong » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:06 pm

Willie Nelson plays a guitar with a ragged hole in the sound board (in addition to the regular sound hole)...

Not to say that I can sound like Willie... On any guitar...

ijreano

Post by ijreano » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:11 pm

Hello,

I was interested to know if you still have this guitar available for sale?

Sincerely,
Iris Reano

Return to “Archives of past "Classical Guitars for Sale"”