[H] Ida Presti - Joaquin Malats - Serenata española

This is for recordings which have fallen into the public domain, that is to say, which were published more than 50 years ago.
Forum rules
This is for recordings which have fallen into the public domain, that is to say, which were published more than 50 years ago.

To allow alphabetical sorting, title your post as follows:
[H] Name of performer - Name of composer - Title of work
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:20 am

Youtube
:( + ♫ = :)

Matt Molloy

Re: [H] Ida Presti - Joaquin Malats - Serenata española

Post by Matt Molloy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:40 am

:casque: :merci:
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morcambe

Proud member of the LGCI.

Guitar: James Lister 2009 SP/MP.

avoz

Post by avoz » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:13 am

A truly prodigious (she was only c. 14 years old at the time) recording - this and the other shellac discs made at the time have been re-issued on CD in the series 'Segovia & His Contemporaries' and elsewhere. I hope the beautiful rubato does not give rise to criticism from younger listeners (brought up on Rock?) who are preoccupied with machine-like regularity. Such ignorant criticism of recordings by Segovia, Llobet et al have never taken account of performance styles
in the early 20th c. - such ignorance could be wiped away by exposure to recordings by Heifetz, Kreisler and other string players.

Matt Molloy

Post by Matt Molloy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:28 am

avoz wrote:I hope the beautiful rubato does not give rise to criticism from younger listeners (brought up on Rock?) who are preoccupied with machine-like regularity. Such ignorant criticism of recordings by Segovia, Llobet et al have never taken account of performance styles
in the early 20th c. - such ignorance could be wiped away by exposure to recordings by Heifetz, Kreisler and other string players.
*cough*

Aye right! 'Cause rockers have never listened to anything with rubato have they? I mean Gary Moore, Mark Knopfler, Jimmy Page, et al played with such "machine-like regularity" didn't they? :roll:

Just because something has a steady beat, doesn't mean it's machine-like. If you listen to a good player playing Chopin, you'll find that the accompaniment/pulse should be rock steady whilst the rubato is in the melody (Chopin's directions I believe). Flamenco players also play around with rubato but the pulse has to be steady as a rock (rock music?).

Couldn't you have just said that it was nice without climbing on your favourite hobby horse (the young and their terrible music :sage: ). If it's not tongue in cheek then it's beginning to come across as snobbery and ignorant snobbery at that.

If it is tongue in cheek, add the odd couple of smilies. It can make all the difference.

Cheers,

Matt.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morcambe

Proud member of the LGCI.

Guitar: James Lister 2009 SP/MP.

GuitaristOrdinate

Post by GuitaristOrdinate » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:17 am

:casque: Thank you for bringing this recording to our attention . :merci:

60moo

Post by 60moo » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:30 pm

avoz wrote:I hope the beautiful rubato does not give rise to criticism from younger listeners (brought up on Rock?) who are preoccupied with machine-like regularity.
Interesting that the "rubato" in this piece is not so much the borrowing of time from one note in order to give it back to a subsequent note; rather the permanent robbery of time from the whole rhythm. I actually enjoy it. Even if it was stylistically early 20th C. practice to do so, good music is still good music.

Avoz: If for "Rock" you were to substitute "Pop over the last quarter century", your machine-like analogy would be absolutely perfect!

Thanks,
Moo.

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Beautiful rendition of this nice Malats piece. The only video I have seen recently is the one of Li Jie. Both are very good.
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

mikegroocockguitar

Post by mikegroocockguitar » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:09 pm

Lovely tone.

Return to “Historical recordings”