[H] Miguel Llobet - Napoléon Coste - op.38/23 Etude - D08

This is for recordings which have fallen into the public domain, that is to say, which were published more than 50 years ago.
Forum rules
This is for recordings which have fallen into the public domain, that is to say, which were published more than 50 years ago.

To allow alphabetical sorting, title your post as follows:
[H] Name of performer - Name of composer - Title of work
banl

[H] Miguel Llobet - Napoléon Coste - op.38/23 Etude - D08

Post by banl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:58 pm

eduary

Re: [H] Llobet, Miguel - N. Coste - Studio Brillante

Post by eduary » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:36 pm

Wow - absolutely brilliant, just as the man says! I must acquire the sheet music and check out what's going on here. It is very clever writing for the instrument. And clever playing of course.

As you can possibly guess I have not heard this work before so I do thank you very much for making me aware of it.

Ciao
Ed

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:20 am

My feelings toward this piece are the precise opposite: this is one of the few around where I turn it off or skip to the next track as soon as I hear it being played.

There's no question of Llobet's skill here, nor of Coste's in writing it. But the whole thing sounds to me like steam-calliope music performed at a third-rate circus. Coste's earlier etudes from the same collection (Op. 38), especially the first 8 or 10, have far more melody and harmony and and craftsmanship and good old outright charm than this one does.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Anthony Campanella

Post by Anthony Campanella » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:28 am

:merci: Thanks for posting that

banl

Post by banl » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:58 am

Hi Classitar, you're welcome.

Ed and David, I agree with David, it isn't my cup-a-tea either. Whether you like it or not, it does show the quality of his playing though.

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:53 am

eduary wrote: As you can possibly guess I have not heard this work before so I do thank you very much for making me aware of it.

Ed
Yikes! I've never even heard this effect on the guitar before. :shock:

(Except maybe the "tapping" technique that some electric players are using these days).

Yes, it's a pretty silly piece, but I bet it's a real crowd pleaser when played live. :)

Alan

Vesavekkuli
Amateur luthier

Re: [H] Miguel Llobet - Napoléon Coste - op.38/23 Etude - D0

Post by Vesavekkuli » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Many of us who were Stepan Rak's students in Finland on late 1970's played this study. Often those years we greeted each others"polopolopoloolo...", the second guy would answer "pomp-pomppomppomp-pomp pomp..." Later I learned it with the thump damping the bass-strings with the side of thump together with all possible ways of damping. The tempo went so crazy that the nice harmony wasn't anymore heard. But it's a very useful study, and played by slowlier tempo it sounds beautiful - believe me or not. Just try it. There are much easier and much much more stupid pieces played regularly in concerts - not many even try this, because it's dam too difficult to be performed if you follow the notation with pauses on the bass - even Coste didn't record it like it's written - of course he may do however he wanted.... Yamashita doesn't play the pauses... I love to play and practise it. I've recorded it on YouTube under user name VegaLeyffinen.

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:37 pm

Let me disagree with critics.
It might be not the most refined piece on it's own, but it can serve as very nice filler between two serious pieces during concert which allows listeners to drop the pressure, relax and smile for a minute, and at the same time it allows the player to demonstrate their technique (far above my abilities).
Last edited by Vlad Kosulin on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm

Vesavekkuli wrote:even Coste didn't record it like it's written
This was good one! :D
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

Vesavekkuli
Amateur luthier

Post by Vesavekkuli » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:23 pm

Vlad, glad that at least you and me like the piece.
To bring out the changes in harmony one could well alter the lenght of bass-notes, but on the other hand I wouldn't want to do it more than make only very few bass-notes longer instead of overdoing accents. It may well be that people who regard this study to be a bit too tuff say that it sounds nicer with long bass-notes, but the charm of it is exactly on the short basses - it should only be played airily. I haven't yet at all been able to play it as I'd want, and also I cannot take away the video from my former VegaLeyffinen-YouTube channel - I've lost the control of it - so, I guess all my poorish videos stay there for ever.

DanieleMagli

Post by DanieleMagli » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:39 pm

Thanks for posting

Daniele Magli

classykid817

Post by classykid817 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:29 am

Thanks for posting this

I've actually played this piece and like it. It is a study and does wonders for both hands especially when you change the right hand fingering to A-M instead of I-M, and this piece also helps you control the thumb so that it is able to mute the bass notes at the correct time and make them more staccato.

Kenny

Vesavekkuli
Amateur luthier

Post by Vesavekkuli » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:11 am

Vlad Kosulin wrote:
Vesavekkuli wrote:even Coste didn't record it like it's written
This was good one! :D
You couldn't guess I ment Llobet, could you?

Vesavekkuli
Amateur luthier

Post by Vesavekkuli » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Today I took my Lacote after many month's brake and tried it with index playing apoyando; the playing was tremendously more relaxed; someone said that it would be more difficult, but it works opposite way - like I already knew. Listening this video made me trying it. In general apoyando does really help consuming energy. I also published my video just half an hour ago if you want to have a look and listen.

Miguel L. Marcos

Post by Miguel L. Marcos » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:11 pm

Hello.

Today I've discovered this etude... :bravo:

Thank you very much !! :bye:
73s / Regards, Miguel L.
Classical Guitar Alhambra model 6P + Strings
Living at: Spain (UTC+1). Speaking more or less: (Español) (English) (ein wenig Deutsch) With translator: (Français)

Return to “Historical recordings”