[H] Enrique Granados - Enrique Granados - Spanish Dance No.5

This is for recordings which have fallen into the public domain, that is to say, which were published more than 50 years ago.
Forum rules
This is for recordings which have fallen into the public domain, that is to say, which were published more than 50 years ago.

To allow alphabetical sorting, title your post as follows:
[H] Name of performer - Name of composer - Title of work
19thcenturyguitarist

[H] Enrique Granados - Enrique Granados - Spanish Dance No.5

Post by 19thcenturyguitarist » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:32 am

Spanish Dance no.5 by Enrique Granados is one of the most famous transcriptions for the CG ever, first made famous for the guitar by Miguel Llobet. We have heard it on the guitar how many times and by how many CG artists? Here is the man, Granados himself playing his own composition in a recording he made while on tour in New York in 1916. While there, he was invited to perform a piano recital for President Woodrow Wilson. Prior to leaving New York, Granados also made live-recorded player piano music rolls for the New-York-based Aeolian Company's "Duo-Art" system all of which survive today and can be heard – his very last recordings....The Dance itself was written in 1890.

Youtube

Granados' "La Maja de Goya" was such an early inspiration for me as a CG as was this piece. Fortunate for us, we can hear how the maestro wanted this piece to sound. Wonder if Segovia ever heard Granados? Probably live! Llobet was known to hang out with Granados, his fellow Catalonian countryman...

George Crocket

Re: Granados plays Granados Spanish Dance No.5

Post by George Crocket » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:42 am

Wonderful - we are so fortunate that gems like this survive. And the quality is superb.

Thanks for the link.

By the way, didn't Granados have a great moustache?
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

19thcenturyguitarist

Re: Granados plays Granados Spanish Dance No.5

Post by 19thcenturyguitarist » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:57 am

jamiecrock wrote:Wonderful - we are so fortunate that gems like this survive. And the quality is superb.

Thanks for the link.

By the way, didn't Granados have a great moustache?
Glad you liked and aprreciated it Jamie!

Yes he did have a great 'stache! Most people did back in those days :)
On the same YT page, if you scroll around a bit, you should be able to find Granados playing his Spanish Dance no.2 Oriental...I really want to read a bio on Granados and find out where he got these names from? Its all the little bit of odds and ends like that, that make music so-so interesting to me!

Tony.lgt

Re: [H] Enrique Granados - Enrique Granados - Spanish Dance

Post by Tony.lgt » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:30 pm

I am considering studying this piece, how wonderful to find a recording of exactly how the composer intended it to sound. I will listen to this very carefully. Many thanks for finding and posting it :-)

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:35 pm

Amazing recording!
Very clean noise wise, and at the same time the sound was not washed out. I assume very precise restoration was applied
:merci:
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

meruo

Post by meruo » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:39 pm

Thank you for the link. Really great recording. It helps to perform on the guitar.

delayedMusician

Re: [H] Enrique Granados - Enrique Granados - Spanish Dance No.5

Post by delayedMusician » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:18 pm

wow! a great legend at the piano !

andries veldhuis

Re: [H] Enrique Granados - Enrique Granados - Spanish Dance No.5

Post by andries veldhuis » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Wonderful recording, thank you very much!

Return to “Historical recordings”