[H] Francisco Tárrega? - Tárrega - Maria (fragment)

This is for recordings which have fallen into the public domain, that is to say, which were published more than 50 years ago.
Forum rules
This is for recordings which have fallen into the public domain, that is to say, which were published more than 50 years ago.

To allow alphabetical sorting, title your post as follows:
[H] Name of performer - Name of composer - Title of work
Juergen Schenk
Teacher

[H] Francisco Tárrega? - Tárrega - Maria (fragment)

Post by Juergen Schenk » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:31 pm

A few years ago a friend from Spain sent me this MP3 with a fragment of Tárrega's "Maria". It is not clear wether Tárrega is the guitarist. Also the dating of this recording is unknown.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Put me back on my bike - Tom Simpson

David Norton

Re: Tàrrega, Francisco - Maria (fragment)-played by Tárrega?

Post by David Norton » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Whether the performer is Tarrega or not, which doubtfully can ever be 100% proven, the playing is certainly indicative of the Spanish guitar style from 100-120 years ago. Lots of very prominent glissandi, which "modern tastes" invariably excise out. I'm guessing the primitive recording unit could only store 75 seconds of material, hence the short version. The player is clearly quite skilful.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Neptune

Re: [H] Francisco Tárrega? - Tárrega - Maria (fragment)

Post by Neptune » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:26 am

I just sight read through and fingered this piece to my heart's content. What a composition that fits in perfectly with Tarrega's other two-paged masterpieces like Marieta. Not too many players do this song; I will definitely be including this in my encores folder! Didn't have much idea about this song until I heard a nice Segovia recording of it from the mid 50's. A must learn!

Note.E.and.hence

Post by Note.E.and.hence » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:27 am

At tarrega's time there was no method of recording. Photography was just starting. How can there be electronic audio recording?!
Jishnu

Goose997

Post by Goose997 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:22 pm

Tarrega lived until 1909, by then recording was well established.
Best regards,
Malan
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Antonio Marin Montero Spruce (June 2015)
Alhambra 10P Cedar
Alhambra 1C Cedar

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:33 pm

Juergen Schenk wrote:It is not clear wether Tárrega is the guitarist. Also the dating of this recording is unknown.
One question might be whether the player is using nails or not, given the general understanding that Tarrega had no nails in his last several years. I wonder whether it would be possible to analyse typical long/short/no nail attack in an audio sequencer to see if there is a characteristic signature, and see if that is illustrated in this recording.
Also, is it recorded on a wax cylinder, and if so did that have a limited period of use?
Last edited by Stephen Kenyon on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:48 pm

According to the Doremi Recordings website, this is a wax cylinder from either 1899 or 1908. A person well informed of this recording told me that what is released is all that survived from the cylinder, the rest of it being hopelessly damaged. So it's not a matter of the owners of the cylinder being cagey and just sharing a teaser-portion. This is all that is available, period.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

jacksonsimpson

Post by jacksonsimpson » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:07 am

yes, I agree that in tarrega's time, that is, in 1990s, there was no ways of recording this sounds, so it was a bit strange that someone can have that cover and keep it until this time :)

baroquerogue

Post by baroquerogue » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:26 pm

Contrary to several comments that a recording of Tarrega could not have been made at that time, it was possible. Wax cylinder recording was introduced to Europe in 1888 (and the earliest known surviving cylinder date from the introduction).

Tarrega lived to 1909.

So, it is possible that his playing was recorded. But who knows for sure, after all nobody that was involved in the project is still around...

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:01 am

the announcer in spanish " Por Don Francisco Tarrega"

by Don Francisco Tarrega, could be real

Fred
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

Return to “Historical recordings”