Tárrega, Francisco - Etude in Em - Gut and Silk Strings no Nails

Audio and video recordings of the works of Francisco Tárrega.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Tárrega, Francisco - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Tárrega, Francisco - Lágrima - D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
tateharmann

Tárrega, Francisco - Etude in Em - Gut and Silk Strings no Nails

Post by tateharmann » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:10 am

So, I was playing around with my recorder ( Tascam DR-40 ) when I found out that they had been releasing new firmware for it all along and I never updated! So I updated to the newest and learned how to set the low cut filter ( to remove the 'boomy' frequencies ). I did a few little test recordings and this was one of them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

Yisrael van Handel

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Etude in Em - Gut and Silk Strings no Nails

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:21 am

It obviously needs more work (it sounds like you are struggling to get to the notes sometimes), but your tone is attractive and your ideas are musical. You just need to keep working and listening to yourself.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks for the comment Yisrael!

There's no doubt that I still haven't mastered this little piece :/

However, I didn't feel like I was struggling to get to the notes in time - maybe my choice of rubato was too relaxed? Or maybe I shouldn't roll the dyads so much.. ?

The only piece of the recording I didn't like was in the second half where there's a dramatic dyad with a G bass note on fret 3 of string 6 and an A note on fret 5 of string 1. I didn't hold the G long enough and the A was played very weak.

Anyways, let me know what you think - I want to improve this little one!

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:00 pm

Yisrael van Handel wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:21 am
It obviously needs more work (it sounds like you are struggling to get to the notes sometimes), ..
Is this how you were thinking? Much less rubato - basically played straight - I like playing it this way too, but I also like some rubato (for dramatic effect) between the chord shape changes. On listening to my first recording, however, I was perhaps too liberal with the rubato and ended up killing the tempo?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:05 pm

- yes, I think that the tempo is better now - and it is, perhaps, time to "play" with dynamics. Your tone, Tate, is beautiful, and I think that soon this piece will be real little gem in your "collection" :)

I hope it is OK that I entered this thread; I did it, as this very piece belongs to my favourites and I am just working on playing it not very fast but as smooth as I would like it to be.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:58 am

Very nice playing on this Tarrega Etude! I really liked the warmth of it! Thank you.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:08 am

Thanks folks! Jacek - of course you can join in, your comments are always helpful ;) To be honest this is one of those "easy" pieces that I never quite mastered. This started more as a recording test but now I'm encouraged to finally make it sound good.

I love this version played without nails on a 19th cen guitar:

Youtube

Very nice phrasing and some wonderful tone (he's a lutenist, primarily) - worthy of imitation!

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:00 pm

tateharmann wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:00 pm
Is this how you were thinking? Much less rubato - basically played straight - I like playing it this way too, but I also like some rubato (for dramatic effect) between the chord shape changes. On listening to my first recording, however, I was perhaps too liberal with the rubato and ended up killing the tempo?
  1. Yes, retardando on first recording killed the tempo. It was impossible to tell what the meter was.
  2. Second one is much better. I do not have any knowledge about how to read Tarrega. Apparently, tempos were much looser in Tarrega's time than in Sor's. But you need to keep the basic meter of the piece, that is, the clear feel of the 3/4 rhythm.
  3. Tone is very nice. I would work with a metronome and try to make the melody completely legato; that is, one continuous singing melody with breaks only at the end of the 8-bar phrases. That might be difficult in moving from bar 3 to bar 4.
I only sight-read the piece now in order to respond to your question. Do not take this as anything more serious than an opinion of a fellow guitarist. It is a beautiful piece well worth perfecting and adding to your repertoire. Tarrega has a way of creating beautiful music from a few notes.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:25 am

Yisrael van Handel wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:00 pm
Do not take this as anything more serious than an opinion of a fellow guitarist. It is a beautiful piece well worth perfecting and adding to your repertoire. Tarrega has a way of creating beautiful music from a few notes.
I agree there - and I do really value your opinion, it's helpful to get some good feedback so thanks for that! I jump at any chance to improve :)

I did something fun tonight, after practicing the piece straight many times (and the melody by itself), I added my musical ideas back in. I also recorded it 3 times in a row moving my RH position back towards the bridge each time. You can really hear the difference in the tone color. The last one was played quite close to bridge where the attack is very fast and the sound is punchier (it sounds similar to nail playing IMHO). I think the middle take is my favorite, though.

Return to “Our recordings of Francisco Tárrega”