Tárrega, Francisco - Adelita

Audio and video recordings of the works of Francisco Tárrega.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Tárrega, Francisco - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Tárrega, Francisco - Lágrima - D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
rob8624

Tárrega, Francisco - Adelita

Post by rob8624 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:05 pm

Quick recording of this. Any input for improvement, as always much appreciated. The sound levels peak at a couple of places, I'm sure, this could be sorted via some software, but that's beyond my recording capabilities!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RobMacKillop

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Adelita

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:30 pm

Well done, Rob.

A Section: You put accents on the first note of each bar, but Tarraga places accents on the 2nd beat, as befits a mazurka. So, aim for that second beat each time: one TWO three, one TWO three. Be aware also that the notes on that second beat (B, F#, D#, B) outline the Dominant V chord, B Major. This is an interesting compositional device, to highlight the V chord, even though the chords under those notes might not be the V chord. For example: the first B (Bar 1, beat2, fret 7) is on top of the I chord, Em.

B Section: Note that, by contrast, the second beat is avoided by the melody (not always). This is another clever compositional device, setting you up with those second beat accents in the A section, and surprising you in the B section by avoiding them. There is a mind at work in this piece, not just a heart. We must rise to the occasion.

Overall, notice the tempo indication of Lento at the beginning. I would say you are playing it (like most people, I feel I must add) too fast for Lento.

One of the interpretational choices is whether to play this piece in a largely regular rhythm, as you do here, and as many mazurkas are danced in Poland, or not. I'm not aware Tarrega ever visited Poland, or danced a mazurka, so I personally do not feel a need to keep a set rhythm throughout. For me, this is a very Romantic piece, and it can take quite a bit of pushing and pulling of the tempo: rubato, in another word.

I hope you don't mind these comments?

rob8624

Post by rob8624 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:57 pm

Thanks for the reply Rob, really great comments there. I'm going to take them on board certainly.
Last edited by rob8624 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mick the Ramirez Man

Post by Mick the Ramirez Man » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:06 pm

Enjoyed your recording. I play this as well. Though it's a relatively easy piece to play, I struggle more with Adelita than anything else in my repertoire. It's all about feeling and sometimes I play it too mechanically. :(
Ramirez 4NE, Ramirez R4 and Ramirez R1

oski79

Post by oski79 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:31 am

Well done! I would echo RobMacKillop's comment about the accent on the second beat. That's how this is usually played.

Keep it up!
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

rob8624

Post by rob8624 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:06 pm

Indeed, I've never realised this before! It's been a while since I played it, that's my excuse. Thanks for the input, much improved now, shall re-record.

Mick - yes, technically pretty easy, getting the emotion and feel of the piece through is the hard part.

CraigB

Post by CraigB » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:22 am

I've never heard Adelita played quite like like but it's certainly beautiful the way you play it. Thank you for
sharing! :)

rob8624

Post by rob8624 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:32 pm

Cheers CraigB

Return to “Our recordings of Francisco Tárrega”