Tárrega, Francisco - Gran Vals

Audio and video recordings of the works of Francisco Tárrega.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Tárrega, Francisco - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Tárrega, Francisco - Lágrima - D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
markblues

Tárrega, Francisco - Gran Vals

Post by markblues » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:41 pm

Hello fellow guitarists,
Last night I decided to give this a shot but included a few changes as I know that there are so many takes on this out there. Would love to hear what you think. Be kind lol

Youtube
Guitarist / arranger / producer
http://www.markhussey.com

Kent

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Gran Vals

Post by Kent » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:50 pm

Really enjoyed it! Very nice use of silence between the notes.
Sounds like you are plugged in. What is your recording set-up?
Thanks again.

markblues

Post by markblues » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi Kent,
Thanks for the comment. No it is entirely acoustic. I use a pair of NT5s and mic up from behind and in front of the guitar. Odd yes I know but that's the way I find I get the best sound in this room. I then carefully mix the two to attempt to get something like what I hear. Of course, the reverb is added. I've spent hours with mic placement and playing with the eq. I'm never quite happy. Still, really pleased you enjoyed it. I was concerned my changes may offend some of the stiff classical folk :) I hope they don't

lucy

Post by lucy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:46 pm

Well played! :bravo:

I like the way you clearly played the Nokia tune, by avoiding the harmonic. I've often considered doing this myself, just so an audience would pick it up better and get the joke! :wink:

Personally, I'm not sure about some of your other changes, but that's probably just me. I think I can be a bit conservative!

Very fluent technique anyway.
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

Bertran

Post by Bertran » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:37 pm

Hi markblues,

I was very interesting to hear you play this piece because, accidentally, right now I also start to learn this piece. Funny thing, accidentally, I also use Rode NT5 pair.

Investigating different positions I have never try your mic placement combination but I will try. (But, my problem is not mic, my nails are more frustrating,.... forget it,....). Yes, reverb is audible, but to me it is ok.

Piece is lovely and your interpretations and changes are original but at most of the time it is acceptable for me. The only thing that maybe is open question is duration of pause or stop. Because, this is waltz, dance - and we must think that one man and one girl must dance together at this waltz, with longer pause it is not easy, isn't it?

But, if you are in good mood with all of that, express yourself at your way. I am always curious to hear interpretations that offer something new.

So, good work, keep going,...

Bertran II

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:05 am

I really enjoyed watching this piece being played! I loved the crystal clear sound and I liked the sound and look of your guitar! Thank you for posting this video. Please post more!

markblues

Post by markblues » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:21 pm

Bertran wrote:Hi markblues,

I was very interesting to hear you play this piece because, accidentally, right now I also start to learn this piece. Funny thing, accidentally, I also use Rode NT5 pair.

Investigating different positions I have never try your mic placement combination but I will try. (But, my problem is not mic, my nails are more frustrating,.... forget it,....). Yes, reverb is audible, but to me it is ok.

Piece is lovely and your interpretations and changes are original but at most of the time it is acceptable for me. The only thing that maybe is open question is duration of pause or stop. Because, this is waltz, dance - and we must think that one man and one girl must dance together at this waltz, with longer pause it is not easy, isn't it?

But, if you are in good mood with all of that, express yourself at your way. I am always curious to hear interpretations that offer something new.

So, good work, keep going,...

Bertran II
Thanks Bertran, What is the issue with the nails? Please share. Yes the pauses are the way I feel it i guess. If I were performing for dancers, naturally i would be less free.

markblues

Post by markblues » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:21 pm

spanishguitarmusic wrote:I really enjoyed watching this piece being played! I loved the crystal clear sound and I liked the sound and look of your guitar! Thank you for posting this video. Please post more!
Many thanks for your compliments :)

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:01 am

markblues wrote:
spanishguitarmusic wrote:I really enjoyed watching this piece being played! I loved the crystal clear sound and I liked the sound and look of your guitar! Thank you for posting this video. Please post more!
Many thanks for your compliments :)
You're welcome! :)

Return to “Our recordings of Francisco Tárrega”