Tárrega, Francisco - Capricho Árabe - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Francisco Tárrega.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Tárrega, Francisco - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Tárrega, Francisco - Lágrima - D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
DanManGuitar
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:09 pm

Tárrega, Francisco - Capricho Árabe - Video

Postby DanManGuitar » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:43 pm

What do you think of my rendition of Capricho Arabe? I have some thoughts of my own, but I would like to hear yours first.


Youtube

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 546
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm
Location: Springfield Oregon

Re: Feedback

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:40 am

I would say that it doesn't sound like you've practiced this with a metronome as in some sections you speed up and or slow down. And you seem to be having a hard time playing the opening licks phrases. Go to YouTube and play Tatyana Rhyzkova's video of this if you want to hear the way the phrasing should be played. There are some measures that need attention more than others.

How long have you been working on this piece?

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5536
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Feedback

Postby petermc61 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:57 am

There is no video embedded in your link that I can see.

DanManGuitar
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:09 pm

Re: Feedback

Postby DanManGuitar » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:15 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:I would say that it doesn't sound like you've practiced this with a metronome as in some sections you speed up and or slow down. And you seem to be having a hard time playing the opening licks phrases. Go to YouTube and play Tatyana Rhyzkova's video of this if you want to hear the way the phrasing should be played. There are some measures that need attention more than others.

How long have you been working on this piece?

A few months. I agree with you. I think that the tempo and tone need some work, and some measures need some special attention.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 546
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm
Location: Springfield Oregon

Re: Feedback

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:49 am

If I was learning this piece right now, I would start at the beginning and work on he phrasing of those opening licks....Slowly. E reason why I said to checkout Tatyana Rhzkova's version is that she plays the opening phrases a little slower than say Christopher Parkening or Marci. Dylla. She gives it a little "breathing room" and you can hear every tone in that opening cascade of notes. I feel that Parkening plays it a little too fast. Honestly you've got most of it. It just needs a little fine tuning.
How long have you been playing guitar? If you say "a few months" then I will say I'm not worthy to be a critic I. This regard. Seriously though, this is an advanced piece and more power to you if you are determined to master it.
Watch Tatyana's video and try to play along with her, her timing and phrasing are impeccable.

Ok, so what guitar are you using and what is the action like at the 12th. What strings do you use hard tension? Medium? Some of the beginning phrases sounded like you had a little problem with pulling off. That's why I asked about the action and strings.

How long have you been playing CG?

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5536
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Feedback

Postby petermc61 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:04 am

Dan

Thank you for posting.

I think the piece is just a little beyond you at this point. The pace is a little erratic, there are some missed notes and the ornaments generally need a bit of work. While some might argue that it is good to tackle difficult pieces I think you are better mastering some slightly easier pieces first.

Overall, I thought the piece was never quite in control, leading to a feeling of tension. As a suggestion, listen to this clip from Delcamp's Stephen Kenyon which shows how relaxed and 'in control' the piece can sound when it is mastered technically.

viewtopic.php?t=84433

If you wish to persevere with it then slow it down a lot and play just a couple of bars at a time with a metronome until it is clean and precise, then very gradually speed it up and play longer sections.

All the best
Peter

User avatar
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher
Posts: 1429
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:26 am
Location: Dorchester, Dorset, England

Re: Feedback

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:13 am

petermc61 wrote:...
Overall, I thought the piece was never quite in control, leading to a feeling of tension. As a suggestion, listen to this clip from Delcamp's Stephen Kenyon which shows how relaxed and 'in control' the piece can sound when it is mastered technically.

viewtopic.php?t=84433


Thanks for remembering this Peter :D

The video seems to have gone. Fair enough. It occurs to me that when I was first learning this piece I probably did all the things described in other replies and more and worse. No record was ever made, though I could probably have put in on cassette at one point. I certainly made the mistake of playing things that were well beyond me at the time (in my teens and 20s), and paid the price in accumulated tension and forced technique, which plague me to this day.
Its so easy now to impulsively perhaps, video something and make oneself vulnerable to the public reaction. I would hope that if back then I'd had the fair, honest if plain-speaking advice that's available here, I'd have been able to take it, process it, and that I'd be in a better position today.
And just in case anyone thinks I'm being unnecessarily self-deprecating here, the context is that I once had the highest ambitions, and have had to settle for modest attainments. Those early mistakes, and other things no doubt, are the reasons for that.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5536
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Feedback

Postby petermc61 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:23 am

Stephen

If I could achieve your 'modest attainments' I would be a very happy man indeed.

Best wishes
Peter

User avatar
Paul Janssen
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:05 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Feedback

Postby Paul Janssen » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:50 am

petermc61 wrote:Stephen

If I could achieve your 'modest attainments' I would be a very happy man indeed.

Best wishes
Peter


Me too. :D

DanManGuitar
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:09 pm

Re: Feedback

Postby DanManGuitar » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:21 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:If I was learning this piece right now, I would start at the beginning and work on he phrasing of those opening licks....Slowly. E reason why I said to checkout Tatyana Rhzkova's version is that she plays the opening phrases a little slower than say Christopher Parkening or Marci. Dylla. She gives it a little "breathing room" and you can hear every tone in that opening cascade of notes. I feel that Parkening plays it a little too fast. Honestly you've got most of it. It just needs a little fine tuning.
How long have you been playing guitar? If you say "a few months" then I will say I'm not worthy to be a critic I. This regard. Seriously though, this is an advanced piece and more power to you if you are determined to master it.
Watch Tatyana's video and try to play along with her, her timing and phrasing are impeccable.

Ok, so what guitar are you using and what is the action like at the 12th. What strings do you use hard tension? Medium? Some of the beginning phrases sounded like you had a little problem with pulling off. That's why I asked about the action and strings.

How long have you been playing CG?
I have been playing classical guitar for about 2 years. I started around 6 years or so and then switched to classical after about 5 years of playing. I am currently 11, and I am aiming to improve my repertoire and timbre currently. I use medium/high tension Luthier strings, and I have a cedar top German Vazquez Rubio guitar. I do not know about the action, although it's not difficult to pull off. Thank you for your advice.

DanManGuitar
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:09 pm

Re: Feedback

Postby DanManGuitar » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:28 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:I would say that it doesn't sound like you've practiced this with a metronome as in some sections you speed up and or slow down. And you seem to be having a hard time playing the opening licks phrases. Go to YouTube and play Tatyana Rhyzkova's video of this if you want to hear the way the phrasing should be played. There are some measures that need attention more than others.

How long have you been working on this piece?

Some of this is partly the microphones part.

DanManGuitar
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:09 pm

Re: Feedback

Postby DanManGuitar » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:42 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:I would say that it doesn't sound like you've practiced this with a metronome as in some sections you speed up and or slow down. And you seem to be having a hard time playing the opening licks phrases. Go to YouTube and play Tatyana Rhyzkova's video of this if you want to hear the way the phrasing should be played. There are some measures that need attention more than others.

How long have you been working on this piece?

What do you mean by the tempo issue?

DanManGuitar
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:09 pm

Re: Feedback

Postby DanManGuitar » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:47 pm

I've realized that some of my problems have just been because of the fact that I tried to make the opening licks too fast and forgetting about everything else. Part of it is because I was practicing flamenco for a while, and my fingers must have felt a little too powerful, therefore hurting the tone and other things. I think the tempo is mostly the issue. It changes quite frequently, leaving the audience feeling as if I'm not in control. I just relaxed my hands and played I through a few times, just relaxing and not focusing on anything specific. The result was much better. I will try to play with a metronome. What do you think?

Pat Dodson
Posts: 2724
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:32 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Feedback

Postby Pat Dodson » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:12 pm

DanManGuitar wrote:I've realized that some of my problems have just been because of the fact that I tried to make the opening licks too fast and forgetting about everything else. Part of it is because I was practicing flamenco for a while, and my fingers must have felt a little too powerful, therefore hurting the tone and other things. I think the tempo is mostly the issue. It changes quite frequently, leaving the audience feeling as if I'm not in control. I just relaxed my hands and played I through a few times, just relaxing and not focusing on anything specific. The result was much better. I will try to play with a metronome. What do you think?


I think your response to the advice here and your reflection on your performance does you great credit. Much of your performance is very creditable and you are aware of the things that need work. That you can play that well at age 11 bodes very well indeed. Best of luck with your studies.

User avatar
Paul Janssen
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:05 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Feedback

Postby Paul Janssen » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:24 pm

DanManGuitar wrote:I have been playing classical guitar for about 2 years. I started around 6 years or so and then switched to classical after about 5 years of playing. I am currently 11, and I am aiming to improve my repertoire and timbre currently. I use medium/high tension Luthier strings, and I have a cedar top German Vazquez Rubio guitar. I do not know about the action, although it's not difficult to pull off. Thank you for your advice.


11 years and playing at this level? Well done to you. You are also very articulate for an 11 year old.

Please tell me you have a good teacher that you are working with? If not, then I would strongly encourage you to find one. You have too much raw talent not to be guided by a professional teacher.


Return to “Our recordings of Francisco Tárrega”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests