Tárrega, Francisco - Capricho Árabe - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Francisco Tárrega.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Tárrega, Francisco - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Tárrega, Francisco - Lágrima - D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
DanManGuitar

Re: Feedback

Post by DanManGuitar » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:34 pm

Paul Janssen wrote:
DanManGuitar wrote:I have been playing classical guitar for about 2 years. I started around 6 years or so and then switched to classical after about 5 years of playing. I am currently 11, and I am aiming to improve my repertoire and timbre currently. I use medium/high tension Luthier strings, and I have a cedar top German Vazquez Rubio guitar. I do not know about the action, although it's not difficult to pull off. Thank you for your advice.
11 years and playing at this level? Well done to you. You are also very articulate for an 11 year old.

Please tell me you have a good teacher that you are working with? If not, then I would strongly encourage you to find one. You have too much raw talent not to be guided by a professional teacher.
Yes, I do. Thank you :)

DanManGuitar

Re: Feedback

Post by DanManGuitar » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:35 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:
DanManGuitar wrote:I've realized that some of my problems have just been because of the fact that I tried to make the opening licks too fast and forgetting about everything else. Part of it is because I was practicing flamenco for a while, and my fingers must have felt a little too powerful, therefore hurting the tone and other things. I think the tempo is mostly the issue. It changes quite frequently, leaving the audience feeling as if I'm not in control. I just relaxed my hands and played I through a few times, just relaxing and not focusing on anything specific. The result was much better. I will try to play with a metronome. What do you think?
I think your response to the advice here and your reflection on your performance does you great credit. Much of your performance is very creditable and you are aware of the things that need work. That you can play that well at age 11 bodes very well indeed. Best of luck with your studies.
Thank you :)

lucy

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Capricho Árabe - Video

Post by lucy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:37 pm

Well, I thought it was pretty good. :casque:

You already have a lot of speed in your fingers - you just need to exercise more control over the phrasing and tempo. There's nothing wrong with rubato, in this piece, it's just a matter of being less erratic - you should slow down and speed up gradually, not suddenly. Think about crafting the rubato, (as someone once told me), and shaping the melodic line, so that it sounds beautiful. It might help to sing along to yourself, as you play, even if only in your head.

You also got some really nice full tones out of your guitar. And I thought it had great spirit too! I think this piece needs a bit of fire.

I agree that you're quite advanced, for your age, but even so, I think it would be a good idea to learn some easier pieces too. But I've just seen that you have a teacher, so I imagine you're doing that anyway. It's important to achieve musical and technical skills in stages Always build on firm foundations. If you overstretch yourself, the foundations won't be as solid.

Anyway, well played. :) Frankly, it's better than some of the playing by adults on this forum, to be honest!
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

Return to “Our recordings of Francisco Tárrega”