Tárrega, Francisco - Etude in E Minor - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Francisco Tárrega.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Tárrega, Francisco - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Tárrega, Francisco - Lágrima - D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Florentin Tise

Tárrega, Francisco - Etude in E Minor - Video

Post by Florentin Tise » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:01 pm


Youtube


After all these years, I can't believe I have never learned this piece.

New guitar built by Brian McCombs
Top: Spruce
Back & Sides: Rosewood

User avatar
mc1
Posts: 1139
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: nova scotia

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Etude in E Minor - Video

Post by mc1 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:08 pm

very nicely played. :bravo:

User avatar
Kent
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:40 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Etude in E Minor - Video

Post by Kent » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:46 pm

Nice sound from your Brian McCombs guitar!

User avatar
Steve Ganz
Luthier
Posts: 810
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:19 pm
Location: Blaine, WA, USA

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Etude in E Minor - Video

Post by Steve Ganz » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:48 pm

Nice playing Florentin.
I have a question about the interpretation. I notice that instead of playing synchronous bass and treble as the music specifies, you are playing bass, with a delayed treble. For example, measure 4. Your rendition has the low E with a post-beat B (first string) in the first triplet group. I think the pattern is predominate.
Presuming this was your intended interpretation, what are your thoughts on this?
Sincerely
Steve

User avatar
Duang Turongratanachai
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 855
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:56 pm

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Etude in E Minor - Video

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:39 am

:bravo: Beautifully played.
Duang :casque:

Florentin Tise

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Etude in E Minor - Video

Post by Florentin Tise » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:29 am

mc1 wrote:very nicely played. :bravo:
Thanks for listening and for commenting :)

Florentin Tise

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Etude in E Minor - Video

Post by Florentin Tise » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:30 am

Kent wrote:Nice sound from your Brian McCombs guitar!
Thanks.
It is a great sounding guitar indeed.
I believe he is offering it for sale currently.
I would be proud to own this instrument.
I already own one of his earlier instruments.

Florentin Tise

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Etude in E Minor - Video

Post by Florentin Tise » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:41 am

Steve Ganz wrote:Nice playing Florentin.
I have a question about the interpretation. I notice that instead of playing synchronous bass and treble as the music specifies, you are playing bass, with a delayed treble. For example, measure 4. Your rendition has the low E with a post-beat B (first string) in the first triplet group. I think the pattern is predominate.
Presuming this was your intended interpretation, what are your thoughts on this?
Sincerely
It is done quite subconsciously most of the time.
With slower pieces from the Romantic period, I tend to do this more often than other players would probably like to hear...
With Baroque music, not so much.

My teacher, back in the day, used to scold me for doing this to Sor's slower movements :)

As far as what is written in the score, Romantic music, at least, gives performers at least some freedom in interpretation. How much freedom is an entirely different topic... :)

Segovia's Rubato, not that I want to compare myself to Segovia, is a good example of that. I sometimes felt he went too far with Rubato, especially while performing Baroque music, but who am I to judge what Segovia did?

Specifically in one section of the above piece, I was aware of one place where I was playing the bass note early, intentionally. It is in the second section, where you move from the A minor to the D7. I played the open D string in that chord sort of by itself, with the actual chord to follow shortly, in order to sort of mask the jump from one chord to the next, or I rather to smoothen it out. Make sense?

Perhaps a better solution would have been to actually practice the chord transition so I can do it smoothly?... :) Yes, perhaps. Well, that is one spot where the decision was conscious, and for a specific reason. The other spots are quite spontaneous.

Anyways, thanks for listening and also for commenting.
Have I provided a sufficiently clear answer?
Probably not?... :)

User avatar
Michael McGrath
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:59 am
Location: New Brunswick, Canada

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Etude in E Minor - Video

Post by Michael McGrath » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:53 am

Hi Florentin!

My only comment other than wonderful, is that you might add a slide during the transition to the barre at the beginning of the A section on the E string. It is very stylistic of the romantic period and really adds flare and a bit of 'fill' to the short transition time to the barre. I noticed you did add some to the B section which were lovely!

You can of course take my comment with a grain of sand!

P.S I agree, Segovia went to far with Rubato at times, and who are you to judge? A human being! If one had to be at the same level or higher to judge something, then there would be no point in achievement and bettering ones self once you were already better than those around you.
Armed with Book, Forum, and Guitar, I will bare my teeth and face the world! Music is a way of thinking, an art. There is nothing more demanding, and nothing more rewarding.

Alvarez-Yari CYM-75 Masterwork

User avatar
Steve Ganz
Luthier
Posts: 810
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:19 pm
Location: Blaine, WA, USA

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Etude in E Minor - Video

Post by Steve Ganz » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:38 am

Florentin wrote:
Steve Ganz wrote:Nice playing Florentin.
I have a question about the interpretation. I notice that instead of playing synchronous bass and treble as the music specifies, you are playing bass, with a delayed treble. For example, measure 4. Your rendition has the low E with a post-beat B (first string) in the first triplet group. I think the pattern is predominate.
Presuming this was your intended interpretation, what are your thoughts on this?
Sincerely
It is done quite subconsciously most of the time.
With slower pieces from the Romantic period, I tend to do this more often than other players would probably like to hear...
With Baroque music, not so much.

My teacher, back in the day, used to scold me for doing this to Sor's slower movements :)

As far as what is written in the score, Romantic music, at least, gives performers at least some freedom in interpretation. How much freedom is an entirely different topic... :)

Segovia's Rubato, not that I want to compare myself to Segovia, is a good example of that. I sometimes felt he went too far with Rubato, especially while performing Baroque music, but who am I to judge what Segovia did?

Specifically in one section of the above piece, I was aware of one place where I was playing the bass note early, intentionally. It is in the second section, where you move from the A minor to the D7. I played the open D string in that chord sort of by itself, with the actual chord to follow shortly, in order to sort of mask the jump from one chord to the next, or I rather to smoothen it out. Make sense?

Perhaps a better solution would have been to actually practice the chord transition so I can do it smoothly?... :) Yes, perhaps. Well, that is one spot where the decision was conscious, and for a specific reason. The other spots are quite spontaneous.

Anyways, thanks for listening and also for commenting.
Have I provided a sufficiently clear answer?
Probably not?... :)
Your response was perfectly clear. Thank you again.
Steve

Florentin Tise

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Etude in E Minor - Video

Post by Florentin Tise » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:21 pm

Michael McGrath wrote:Hi Florentin!

My only comment other than wonderful, is that you might add a slide during the transition to the barre at the beginning of the A section on the E string. It is very stylistic of the romantic period and really adds flare and a bit of 'fill' to the short transition time to the barre. I noticed you did add some to the B section which were lovely!

You can of course take my comment with a grain of sand!

P.S I agree, Segovia went to far with Rubato at times, and who are you to judge? A human being! If one had to be at the same level or higher to judge something, then there would be no point in achievement and bettering ones self once you were already better than those around you.
Yes. That slide would fit quite well in that spot.
I don't really play this piece on a regular basis, but I will certainly try it.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Florentin Tise

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Etude in E Minor - Video

Post by Florentin Tise » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:21 pm

Steve Ganz wrote: Your response was perfectly clear. Thank you again.
You are welcome.

User avatar
Michael McGrath
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:59 am
Location: New Brunswick, Canada

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Etude in E Minor - Video

Post by Michael McGrath » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:41 pm

Florentin wrote: Yes. That slide would fit quite well in that spot.
I don't really play this piece on a regular basis, but I will certainly try it.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Hope you get as much mileage out of the little gesture as I did! Happy playing :bravo:
Armed with Book, Forum, and Guitar, I will bare my teeth and face the world! Music is a way of thinking, an art. There is nothing more demanding, and nothing more rewarding.

Alvarez-Yari CYM-75 Masterwork

Florentin Tise

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Etude in E Minor - Video

Post by Florentin Tise » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:59 pm

Michael McGrath wrote: Hope you get as much mileage out of the little gesture as I did! Happy playing :bravo:
:) :) :)

Thank you

domveit

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Etude in E Minor - Video

Post by domveit » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:25 am

This is a great little study. It is now next on my list to learn.

Return to “Our recordings of Francisco Tárrega”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest