Tárrega, Francisco - Lágrima - D05

Audio and video recordings of the works of Francisco Tárrega.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Tárrega, Francisco - Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Tárrega, Francisco - Lágrima - D05 Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Philosopherguy

Tárrega, Francisco - Lágrima - D05

Post by Philosopherguy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:31 am

I have posted another audio clip in the Fernando Sor section, but I thought I would post in the Tarrega section here too! I just got a new Zoom H1 to record some of my practice sessions and am wondering what people think of the sound quality! I find it pretty handy so far. I want to start recording my practice sessions to work on tone and fluidity in my playing. So, I figured I would post a few clips here.

I still have 20 days to return the Zoom. I wanted to get some opinions.

This clip is not eq'd, no reverb, no compression. Just the guitar and my playing.

Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

christophebrochard

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Lágrima - DO5

Post by christophebrochard » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:05 am

Very well played and the sound is nice. I'll check out your Sor recording.

mc1

Post by mc1 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:12 pm

i think the recording sounds very good, and will serve your stated purpose quite well.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:09 pm

christophebrochard wrote:Very well played and the sound is nice. I'll check out your Sor recording.
Thank you for the nice comment and listening. I hope you also liked the Sor recording.

mc1 wrote:
i think the recording sounds very good, and will serve your stated purpose quite well.
Thank you for listening as well. I do think the recorder sounds pretty good. For my purposes, I just want something that will produce half decent results with minimal time put in to set up. I went to the store to buy the Zoom H2, but none were in stock. So, the guy at the store said to try the H1 out and that he thought it would suit my purposes. I can always return it. But, I think it does give a pretty good representation of the guitar. Not perfect, but also not bad.

The recorder was placed about 1.5 ft from the sound hole with the stereo mics pointed directly at the hole. I'm not sure if there is a better place to put it. If you pull the recorder in too much it gets very bass heavy. If you push it out too much you start to get more room noise and lose the vibrant silky guitar sound and end up with more room reverberation and harsh echoes. So, I tried to balance it to get the most accurate representation of the guitar that I could get, given my conditions of not too much setup time!

The guitar itself is my Ramirez 130 Anos and it is a well balanced and good sounding guitar. I think that comes through on the recording. It's a guitar with nice overtones and a smooth tone. It also has a bite if you really dig in. So, I think that comes through.

Eventually I will record my other guitars. So far I have only tried this one, as I tend to play it more often.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

mc1

Re: Tárrega, Francisco - Lágrima - D05

Post by mc1 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:40 pm

i have a zoom h2, as well as a h2n, as well as a tascam dr-40. i purchased the h2n in the hopes the self noise would be a little bit less, and it was. i got the dr-40 because it allows external microphones via xlr. they are all pretty good. i don't think the h2n is a big improvement over the h1.

i think also you should try different locations with the h1. try pointing it at the 12th fret, where the neck meets the body. also try the lower bout. i now always pay attention in videos to see where the mic(s) is (are). i no expert, but i don't think the soundhole will give the best results.

you can also use some headphones, turn the volume way up, and listen while you move it around.

Return to “Our recordings of Francisco Tárrega”