Where can I buy Onymyrrhe now?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
laukejas

Re: Where can I buy Onymyrrhe now?

Post by laukejas » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:16 pm

robert e wrote:
laukejas wrote:
robert e wrote:If you're so convinced of myrrh's effectiveness, why not add a drop or two of myrrh oil to Goni's olive oil soak?
Not quite sure what you meant by that. Myrrh oil is not available in my country, I have to order it overseas anyway.
Maybe you missed my previous comment, where I mention Antigoni Goni soaking her nails in olive oil. Search youtube for "Antigoni Goni nail care". She has many good suggestions from her own experience. Myrrh oil needs a carrier oil, and since many guitarists use olive oil anyway, it seems a logical choice.

I didn't know myrrh oil was so hard to find. It seems plentiful online, and on Amaz*n; perhaps it won't be too costly to have shipped. Are there no suppliers of therapeutic essential oils in your country?
Yeah, sorry, my bad. There are suppliers of therapeutic essential oils in my country, but those that have myrrh are heavily diluted, and I doubt they would work for nails.

As for the olive oil, I used for two years back when I started playing, and it did help my nails become more flexible, but it was nothing in comparison to the raw power of Onymyrrhe...
Frousse wrote:I am not sure whether I can post the link here, but, through a search on Amazon, I was able to click on one of the advertised links in the lower part of the page and find a site that sells the product onymyrrhe.
I couldn't see any such advertisement, could you PM me the link, please?

mverive

Post by mverive » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:10 am

dtoh wrote:Actually not. The way it works is that you extract the resins and the essential oils (two different things) using a solvent like hexane, acetone, EDC. Then you separate the oil from the resin using a distillation process. The essential oil is not derived from the resin...it's a separate thing.

Yes, there are big difference from batch to batch but normally the extractors will blend batches to achieve consistency. That said, synthetically produced compounds are hard to distinguish from naturally derived compounds so there is always a good chance that someone is selling a synthetic oil under a "natural" label.

Finally, essential oils contain very volatile compounds so I'm not sure how good it is for the nails. Mixing with some kind of carrier oil probably makes it better. If there is any benefit from Myrrh (I have no idea), it's much more likely to be from the resin not the oil.
Myrrh oil *is* derived from myrrh resin, which is then dissolved or extracted and then the volatile solvents used in the extraction process are distilled to produce the final oil. Because different manufacturers use different processes, and the myrrh resin itself varies from plant to plant (and over time even from the same plants), there is considerable difference in composition of myrrh oil from different producers. Given the relatively high cost of pure myrrh oil, it is commonly adulterated using related oils or is "cut" with other oils.

The distillation process removes many of the lower molecular weight, more highly volatile components, and little is known of their effect on nail architecture. The resin contains various other nonvolatile compounds (including sugars and proteins) that are likely to bond to and strengthen nails, so you may be onto something there!

Mike
"(P)Lay on, MacDuff, And damn'd be him that first cries, 'Hold, enough!'"

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:13 am

just went to the place with the name of a big river in south America and they have boat loads of offerings for myrrh oil. it might cost a little more to get it to Lithuania but given the unavailability or poor quality of local supplies it probably would be worth it. de Gitaarsalon, a Dutch guitar on-line store? resource? mentioned it and how to get it so that might be an option.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

laukejas

Post by laukejas » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:42 pm

So, guys, do you think I should buy pure myrrh oil and then mix it up with some olive oil, or instead, buy one of these Hoofmaker strengtheners that are without myrrh? Which would work better? I found plenty of options on Amazon and e - b a y, but I'm a bit afraid to buy something that is not tested by guitarists.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:02 pm

Said it before, buy MSM powder. Better than stuff on nails.

robert e

Post by robert e » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:23 pm

It will take some time to test, but I just ordered myrrh oil, purportedly "100% pure" and steam distilled from Somalian commiphora myrrha, which I plan to apply with olive oil. I expect it'll take more than a month to see any results. Biotin supplements were recommended by a few acquaintances as well as by professional guitarists so I plan to try that too. I already take glucosamine+chondroitin+MSM supplements. EDIT: and as I said before, I use Hoofmaker lotion.

mverive

Post by mverive » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:43 am

Fingernails grow approximately 0.1 mm per day, so it will take a lot longer than a month to see a difference at the edge of the nail. Expect about 3-4 months for each cm of nail length.

Mike

robert e

Post by robert e » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:49 am

Yes, more than a month, as I said. However, certain kinds of changes, if they occur at all, will be noticeable before they reach the tip.

mverive

Post by mverive » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:00 pm

robert e wrote:Yes, more than a month, as I said. However, certain kinds of changes, if they occur at all, will be noticeable before they reach the tip.
Yes, you're correct. I was thinking of nutritional deficiencies, which will take months to correct rather than use of myrrh or other topical oils and similar treatments, which would be expected to produce results faster than dietary changes.

Speaking of diet, it is important to consider vitamin or other dietary deficiencies as causes for problems with hair, skin, and nails. Iron deficiency is associated with "spoon-shaped" thumb nails and longitudinal ridges, while severe protein-calorie deficiencies (rare in the USA) can lead to decreased growth of hair and nails. Selenium, zinc, biotin, and other deficiencies are associated with abnormal skin, hair, and/or nails, and disturbances in thyroid function (hyper or hypo thyroidism) will affect rate of growth and thickness of hair, skin, and nails.

Mike

robert e

Post by robert e » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:38 pm

Thank you, Mike. You sound well informed, and it's better to have more, as well as more specific, information, as well as awareness of what your own situation and goals are. The thing that impressed me most about Goni's video is that she stresses nutrition and overall good health, then shares her own informed but personal nail-specific experiences, findings and opinions as just that--her personal experience, as a musician and a teacher.

I should do no less, so, while this may be obvious, I remind everyone that I'm only one data point. No matter how much or how carefully I test and observe, whether or not myrrh oil, or anything else, works for me is conclusive only for me and my nails, at this particular time. My trial will surely be confounded by diet, health, habits, weather and the ups and downs of life, not to mention more obvious things like practice time and glove-wearing.

Kinoke

Post by Kinoke » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:16 pm

There is a European flamenco shop (La Sonanta, Belgian) that sells a "Myrrh natural nail growth accelerator and strengthener". La Sonanta used to sell Onymyrrhe when it was available. Go to the La Sonanta website and look under Flamenco Guitars > Nail Care.
Last edited by Kinoke on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

robert e

Post by robert e » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:34 am

laukejas wrote:So, guys, do you think I should buy pure myrrh oil and then mix it up with some olive oil, or instead, buy one of these Hoofmaker strengtheners that are without myrrh? Which would work better? I found plenty of options on Amazon and e - b a y, but I'm a bit afraid to buy something that is not tested by guitarists.
It's hard to say, because neither one seems to work for everyone. But neither one seems to do any harm, either. Perhaps consider the other benefits of each. The hoofmaker lotions are also general skin moisturizers and conditioners. Myrrh oil is said to have healing properties and many enjoy it as a scent and for aromatherapy.

Kinoke

Post by Kinoke » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:40 pm

:!:
Last edited by Kinoke on Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laukejas

Post by laukejas » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:18 am

robert e wrote:
laukejas wrote:So, guys, do you think I should buy pure myrrh oil and then mix it up with some olive oil, or instead, buy one of these Hoofmaker strengtheners that are without myrrh? Which would work better? I found plenty of options on Amazon and e - b a y, but I'm a bit afraid to buy something that is not tested by guitarists.
It's hard to say, because neither one seems to work for everyone. But neither one seems to do any harm, either. Perhaps consider the other benefits of each. The hoofmaker lotions are also general skin moisturizers and conditioners. Myrrh oil is said to have healing properties and many enjoy it as a scent and for aromatherapy.
Yeah, I guess I'll just have to take a risk... So sad they discontinued Onymyrrhe.
Kinoke wrote:There is a European flamenco shop (La Sonanta, Belgian) that sells a "Myrrh natural nail growth accelerator and strengthener". La Sonanta used to sell Onymyrrhe when it was available. Go to the La Sonanta website and look under Flamenco Guitars > Nail Care.
Yeah, I was recently directed to that site. It seems like good stuff, but incredibly overpriced, and the shipping costs more than the product itself... Bringing it to a total of $40+ to get it to Lithuania. Musicians aren't that rich here :D

pima1234

Post by pima1234 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:54 am

I have never used the Hoofmaker, but Googling it now.
laukejas wrote:
pima1234 wrote:I will concur that Onymyrrhe does indeed work as described. It is a shame that it's no longer available from the manufacturer (here in Michigan, apparently, as is SBM).

Nailtiques 2+ does work well, but it's a finish (a nail polish), and not all natural, which I believe Onymyrrhe was.

I am glad that I still have some, but I need to better about applying it regularly. Michigan winters are hard on nails! When it runs out, I have to find another solution.
True... When I used Onymyrrhe, I was able to scratch concrete walls without damaging my nails. I used my nails to scratch wood in my workshop, to open stubborn things, to clean pots, etc. And I never broke a nail, rarely had to do any serious sanding after such abuse. Mind that before Onymyrrhe, my nails were constantly delaminating, breaking, growing for ages, etc... Amazing product it was. It's a shame I lost that bottle. Then again, who knows, if I used it any longer, I might have grown a hoof :D

Pima, do you know if that Mane 'n Tail Hoofmaker is as good as Onymyrrhe? I'm one click away from buying it from UK. Seems like a real deal, but I'm still unsure, 12 bucks is more than I make in a day in Lithuania.
What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”