Overcoming Weak nail problems ?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
redmcq

Overcoming Weak nail problems ?

Post by redmcq » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:12 am

So basically my nails are really thin and are constantly breaking and getting snags in them. For instance yesterday I was playing a piece and all of a sudden the nail on my index fully breaks and the top part peels backwards.

Was wondering if anyone else with this problem knows any supplements of ways to strengthen nail to prevent this ?

Or any other general advice for weak nails.

Thanks.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Overcoming Weak nail problems ?

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:58 am

There are various potions to apply, I use a couple of different hand/nail creams, a Body Shop one and an Argan oil one. Just bear in mind that anything that anything of that kind will take perhaps months of daily/twice daily application to really make a difference.
You can also get a nail-varnish like treatments that paint on that are intended to strengthen. Chemists stock these things but I got mine last from a large very popular supermarket.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:10 pm

I had nails that were a bit brittle and chipped easily. I noticed that my nails were much better in summer, so I started to take vitamin D3 supplements (1000 IU) and I have not had a broken nail since then (nine years!); my nails are strong and flexible.
I also wear gloves when using cleaning products or when gardening. After washing my hands or showering, I use moisturizer on my hands and massage it around and on the nails.
Drying conditions are bad for your nails, so take care of your hands and eat nutritious food. Vitamin D might help, but this sort of thing can be very individual.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:00 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:58 am
There are various potions to apply, I use a couple of different hand/nail creams, a Body Shop one and an Argan oil one. Just bear in mind that anything that anything of that kind will take perhaps months of daily/twice daily application to really make a difference.
You can also get a nail-varnish like treatments that paint on that are intended to strengthen. Chemists stock these things but I got mine last from a large very popular supermarket.
Thanks, I'll look into some nail varnish treatment and in the Body shop

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:01 pm

lagartija wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:10 pm
I had nails that were a bit brittle and chipped easily. I noticed that my nails were much better in summer, so I started to take vitamin D3 supplements (1000 IU) and I have not had a broken nail since then (nine years!); my nails are strong and flexible.
I also wear gloves when using cleaning products or when gardening. After washing my hands or showering, I use moisturizer on my hands and massage it around and on the nails.
Drying conditions are bad for your nails, so take care of your hands and eat nutritious food. Vitamin D might help, but this sort of thing can be very individual.
Ah yeah good idea I'll start taking vitamin D right away!

Christopher C.

Post by Christopher C. » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:18 pm

I typically don't have issues with my nails breaking, but occasionally use Sally Hansen brand nail varnish.

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:26 am

After years of using false nails I have finally been able to get acceptable nails. I tried a lot of things but what worked for me is the Mavala nail hardener along with a treatment I made by myself with jojoba oil and horsetail dry leaves. Beware, Mavala contains formaldehyde, but it is what makes it work (formaldehyde crosslinks proteins, so it crosslinks the nail keratin). My nails quickly became harder, but very brittle, so technically not better at all. The jojoba/horsetail mixture did a fantastic team job with the formaldehyde, now my nails are stronger and no more brittle, they don't break anymore and don't wear out when I play.

For the jojoba/horsetail mixture I put crushed horsetail dry leaves and jojoba oil in a glass vial and soak the vial in water at about 180°F for 1 or 2h. I hydrate my nails daily with a drop of the oil
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:04 am

What thickness is considered thin nails? I just measured mine with a digital vernier caliper.

thumb nail is 0.63 mm
p,m,i nails are 0.45 mm

Is that thin, average or thick?

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”