Help! Cracked nail

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
rjc7313

Help! Cracked nail

Post by rjc7313 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:47 am

I got a crack on my thumbnail. On the left edge of my thumb (middle lenght) there is a small crack. Now whenever I play the guitar it hurts badly and I'm afraid of the whole nail coming off. Please how do I heal this as soon as possible?

davekear

Re: Help! Cracked nail

Post by davekear » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:13 am

Get some nail glue and some silk wrap. Brush on nail glue works well for this.

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:32 am

There are a ton of videos about fingernail repair on YouTube. Many techniques are possible, including one demonstrated by James Taylor. I typically put a bit of superglue on the nail then dip in in baking powder. A couple of coats with sanding in between usually works. You can also use superglue and a little piece of a teabag. Good luck!
-Bob

rjc7313

Post by rjc7313 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking of using superglu but was afraid that would make it grow slower

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:06 pm

Don't squeeze the super-glue directly onto your nail, squeeze some onto a piece of card, or something similar, and use a cocktail stick (or similar) to transfer some to the nail. Sometimes the glue can come out very fast...

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:06 pm

hesson11 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:32 am
There are a ton of videos about fingernail repair on YouTube. Many techniques are possible, including one demonstrated by James Taylor. I typically put a bit of superglue on the nail then dip in in baking powder. A couple of coats with sanding in between usually works. You can also use superglue and a little piece of a teabag. Good luck!
-Bob
The baking powder idea is new to me. What happens if the nail comes into contact with a mild acid, such as lemon juice or vinegar?

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:25 pm

Evocacion wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:06 pm
hesson11 wrote:
-Bob
The baking powder idea is new to me. What happens if the nail comes into contact with a mild acid, such as lemon juice or vinegar?
If that ever happens, I'll let you know! :D
-Bob

davekear

Post by davekear » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:37 am

hesson11 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:25 pm
Evocacion wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:06 pm
hesson11 wrote:
-Bob
If that ever happens, I'll let you know! :D
-Bob
Couldn't be any worse than accidentally catching your celluloid ping pong ball fingernails on fire. :)

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:14 am

I’d go to a professional nailist. They will repair it with nail glue and can do a much better job than you because they know what they’re doing, have lots of practice, employ specialized tools, and can use two hands. I’d also have them apply a soft gel treatment on the nail. This will protect it while it grows out and is much better in every respect than silk and superglue.

davekear

Post by davekear » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:48 am

dtoh wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:14 am
I’d go to a professional nailist. They will repair it with nail glue and can do a much better job than you because they know what they’re doing, have lots of practice, employ specialized tools, and can use two hands. I’d also have them apply a soft gel treatment on the nail. This will protect it while it grows out and is much better in every respect than silk and superglue.
With all due respect, you don't need to go to a professional salon to just repair a nail. This is a basic thing you
should learn to do yourself. If you break a nail while playing on a gig, what are you gonna do, go to a salon?
It's so easy to repair yourself and all guitarists who use their nails should learn to do it. Takes about 1 minute to do.
Get some silk wrap and some nail glue, or take some of the suggestions above. But this is such a basic thing, and
so easy to learn to do by yourself.

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:34 pm

davekear wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:48 am
With all due respect, you don't need to go to a professional salon to just repair a nail. This is a basic thing you
should learn to do yourself. If you break a nail while playing on a gig, what are you gonna do, go to a salon?
It's so easy to repair yourself and all guitarists who use their nails should learn to do it. Takes about 1 minute to do.
Get some silk wrap and some nail glue, or take some of the suggestions above. But this is such a basic thing, and
With all due respect, it's trivial to go to a professional nailist (unless you live in the countryside), they do a much better job than you can ever do yourself, screwing around with glue and wrap is a messy PITA even after practice, the results looks bad, need to be redone on a regular basis, and if you were already going to a nailist your nails would not be broken in the first place.

If you're into cleaning your own septic tank, hunting squirrels to feed your children, homeopathic medicine and cutting your own hair, by all means fix your own nails. :D
Last edited by dtoh on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davekear

Post by davekear » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:14 am

dtoh wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:34 pm
davekear wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:48 am
With all due respect, it's trivial to go to a professional nailist (unless you live in the countryside), they do a much better job than you can ever do yourself, screwing around with glue and wrap is a messy PITA even after practice, the results looks bad, need to be redone on a regular basis, and if you were already going to a nailist your nails would not be broken in the first place.

If you're into cleaning your own septic tank, hunting squirrels to feed your children, homeopathic medicine and cutting your own hair, by all means fix your own nails. :D
Fixing a nail is much easier than cleaning a septic tank or cutting your own hair. (Unless you have a flowbee).:D Repairing a nail is a very simple thing to do, and takes less than a minute. And doing it yourself usually ends up with a much better result than if you have a manicurist do it. It's a basic skill almost all professional classical and flamenco players have. Going to a nail salon to have someone repair your nail is like having to send out your guitar to have it tuned. It's a really easy thing to do, and it's important to know how to do it.

Bernabe

Post by Bernabe » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:33 pm

use a ping pong ball like david russell
Martin Blackwell DT 2016

Kevin Cowen

Post by Kevin Cowen » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:07 pm

Just cut it and let it grow back.

Tom Wimsatt
Student of the online lessons

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:43 pm

rjc7313 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:47 am
I got a crack on my thumbnail. On the left edge of my thumb (middle lenght) there is a small crack. Now whenever I play the guitar it hurts badly and I'm afraid of the whole nail coming off. Please how do I heal this as soon as possible?
Sorry to hear this. My thumbnail cracks quite often and seems to take forever to grow back out. Really screws up my playing.

If I were you I'd follow the suggestion: "nail glue and some silk wrap", go buy nail glue at the pharmacy. Don't use CA glue. I've found that stuff, while it does adhere, causes brittleness and breaking. The nail glue I bought from the pharmacy works great, and without the embrittlement problem.

I also think a trip to the nail salon might be a good idea too. They certainly know how to deal with these problems, and can give you some nail repair tips as well.
1989 Takamine C132S

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”