Nails still growing after returning to classical guitar

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
robithinker

Nails still growing after returning to classical guitar

Post by robithinker » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:51 pm

I started playing again last week, practicing every day 20-30 minutes. My nails haven't grown out yet, so I've been playing with my finger tips. My right hand technique is more difficult that I remember. Of course, it has been 14 years since I played regularly, and I only played for about 18 months the first time around. Is technique more difficult with finger tips than it is with nails? I'm hoping things will get a bit easier after they have grown out. I'm also wondering if maybe the action on my 50 year old, cheap Yamaha guitar may be contributing to the buzzing and difficulty somewhat....

Stickyhead

Re: Nails still growing after returning to classical guitar

Post by Stickyhead » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:48 pm

I am a beginner to CG myself so this is just my opinion and thoughts. I lost my m and a nails a couple of weeks ago and it sucks to me it does seem harder to play without them. I cant wait until they come back.

As far as the buzz this could be because of the action on the guitar or because you are not close enough to the fret when making the note.
I play on a cheap Yamaha C40, it does the job for now but if I ever get where i can play i would like to get something good.

I am sure the other folks on this forum that know far more then i will probably ever know can advise you better.

robithinker

Post by robithinker » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:16 pm

Yeah, sometimes I notice it is my technique causing the buzzing. I think the neck is slightly warped causing the action to be higher, but I haven't measured. In any case, assuming it doesn't cause injury from playing a lot of hours on it, then I just try to view it as a motivator to play with flawless technique. But it is frustrating and I am looking forward to having nails again.

JRomano

Post by JRomano » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:21 pm

As your nails are growing out, you may also want to look at your left hand. Often technique with that hand, finger placement, etc., can help to avoid buzzes. And, you might want to have someone look at the action on your guitar, but as you know classical guitar action is always a bit on the high side compared to its steel string siblings. Good luck on your re-entry.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”