Hardening your nails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
jorge

Hardening your nails

Post by jorge » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:34 pm

I am a rather new member of this forum, so I am not sure whether this hint has been posted before, but I don't think it would hurt posting it again.

One thing that has always proved very effective to harden my nails is garlic. Where I live (Mexico), you can get garlic varnish, but you can always take a clove of garlic, insert your nails and apply it directly from there. Try it, you may be surprised!

P.S.
Yes, it's a smelly solution, but I guess the price is worth it.

lintek55

Re: Hardening your nails

Post by lintek55 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:55 am

Hi Jorge. Welcome. I too am a newbie to the site. Here In NY we call new members, "Newbies". Garlic is a wonderful herb for almost anything. I never knew that they made garlic varnish and this is the first time I've heard of applying fresh garlic on the finger nail itself. I am going to try this.. thank you so much for sharing this great information. What I found VERY helpful to harden my nails and I found this out by mishap, is by taking the vitamin magnesium oxide. IT IS WONDERFUL!!!!!. I originally took it for digestive tract issues which works GREAT too, but found out that it has also now made my nails hard as horse hooves. I have to use the big nail clippers instead of the small ones to cut them because of the hardness of them. I also heard that "gelatin" is good for thickening nails but I don't need to take it because the magnesium does the job. The bottle will say "magnesium' on cover but if you look on back of label, always look for "oxide" in ingredients section. I'm not sure if there are different magnesium's?

koa_35

Post by koa_35 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:09 am

I tried classical guitar in my 20's, but gave up on it because I would get a broken nail every few weeks, particularly if I was working on cars or something like that. A few years back I tried the guitar again without much luck with the nails until a friend of my eldest daughter suggested Mavala nail hardener. You just put it on the end of the nails and let it soak in. It doesn't seem to change the nail surface at all, it just soaks into the nail and harden's it. It took a while to work and I had to coat farther down the nail than they recommended because my nails would crack farther back than the tip. Anyway, once the nails were hardened I only needed to add the hardener once every few weeks. The one issue I had was that with the thumb nail, I needed to coat it more often to get it hardened. Amazing stuff. So if the above suggestions don't totally solve the nail cracking problem this is another method to try.

Larry

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:31 am

jorge wrote:I am a rather new member of this forum, so I am not sure whether this hint has been posted before, but I don't think it would hurt posting it again.

One thing that has always proved very effective to harden my nails is garlic. Where I live (Mexico), you can get garlic varnish, but you can always take a clove of garlic, insert your nails and apply it directly from there. Try it, you may be surprised!

P.S.
Yes, it's a smelly solution, but I guess the price is worth it.
Wow, I never knew garlic would be good to harden nails. I love garlic and eat it all the time in foods, but I will have to try this. :merci:

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”