What is your nail care solution

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
souldier

What is your nail care solution

Postby souldier » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new nail care kit/product and was wondering if anyone could recommend something effective yet reasonably priced and long lasting. Would love to weigh as many options as possible before moving forward.

Thanks,
soul
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

2014 James Frieson | Swiss Spruce . Madagascar Rosewood

celestemcc

Re: What is your nail care solution

Postby celestemcc » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:16 pm

Do you mean a product or kit to strengthen natural nails? Or one to repair or replace broken or damaged nails?
Makes a difference! :D
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

souldier

Postby souldier » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:39 pm

I'm looking for a kit or even a combination of different products to maintain my natural nails. They aren't broken or weak, but of course need the usual filing, etc. There are a tonne of different ways of going about it, but I'm wondering what others here on the forum might recommend as a effective yet affordable and sustainable solution.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

celestemcc

Postby celestemcc » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:59 pm

I like the Oasis nail shaper, available on Amazon or Strings By Mail: see who's got the best price. They don't do much for taking off length, but the four sides let you do fine shaping, and give a nice glassy-smooth finish to the nail edges. They are disposable, and, I suspect, recyclable. Also, the glass files by SBM are fantastic: while very fine-grit, they'll cut through anything, even fake nails, and leave a smooth finish.
For that matter, SBM has a nail-care kit for classical guitarist which may fit the bill for you, and has several products to try.

For maintenance, I'm not a big believer (just a personal thing) in nail-polish type strengtheners, or anything that has to be removed with acetone. I prefer to just use a very rich hand lotion on my nails daily, and try to use rubber gloves if I have to immerse my hands in water for any length of time (eg, cleaning the kitchen or bath). If I do break a nail, I've been experimenting with the drugstore equivalent of Rico Nails (my hands are small), because I can use a temporary adhesive that lasts only a few days, and doesn't damage the natural nail so it can grow back healthy (no superglue adhesive).

Hope this is some help!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

tom2977

Postby tom2977 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:26 pm

Glass nail file and some 3M emery paper (2000 grade). Flexinail for keeping good condition.
I keep a loupe with the file to inspect any nicks and superglue / silk in case of emergencies (but becoming redundant now Flexinail is in use).

Thiseas

Postby Thiseas » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:18 pm

I use the Wolfram Precision Crystal Glass nail file. It's a bit pricey but its worth it.
It leaves the nail very smooth. It takes only a couple of strokes with a fine sandpaper to finish it of.
And don't forget to eat your vegetables! Nail problems are often due to nutrition problems.

Theo

souldier

Postby souldier » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:31 am

Thanks for tips everyone they are most helpful. Still open to other options as well

catie

Postby catie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:07 am

I went cold turkey eliminating all topical coatings, etc. I use Hemp oil combined with other enrollments. My nails have finally gotten tougher and longer. I do protect my hand with a glove when doing work. Haven't broken a nail for some time. The tone I can now achieve is amazing with nails. I only heard the stories until now.

Dusepo

Postby Dusepo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:25 am

I find eating sufficient protein and wearing nail polish does the job usually, although sometimes I do get split nails (doesn't everyone sometimes?)

tom2977

Postby tom2977 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:10 am

I know i sound like a rep for Flexinail (i'm not - I am just so pleased with the beneficial results) but - no, i don't get any splits at all since using it. I used to be blighted with them. But then if you use nail polish i doubt it would be a good solution!
I think other oil treatments may well work but i'll stick to this as it seems to work so well.

JohnB

Postby JohnB » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:20 pm

I use micro-mesh abrasive sheets for shaping and polishing my nails (yes, the 12000 grade micro-mesh can polish), often with a follow up buffing on a piece of soft leather. I find micro-mesh much, much better than other abrasive sheets, etc, as they tend to cut rather than tear.

String by Mail have micro-mesh sheets but as I am in the UK I usually by them elsewhere.

Other than that, I always wear rubber gloves when I have my hands in water, e.g. washing up, etc, etc, and I wear cotton or leather gloves on my right hand when I do jobs around the house.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

tom2977

Postby tom2977 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:56 pm

I used micromesh until i got recommended to try 3M (has to be 3M) paper and that seemed better to me. The 2000 grade polishes really well even though it sounds like you might need finer. It seems to be the way it breaks down as you polish. Micromesh is good too but a bit more costly.

a human

Postby a human » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:51 pm

My nails just snap off in the winter, likely due to the dryness of the air. In the humid months they grow nicely and maintain their strength. I've tried a lot of assorted alternatives, topicals, paints, lotions and programs, but I can't point to anything that really helps. Cold dry air makes them snap off.

Perhaps a move to Florida during the winter?
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
Martin Sigma DM-1 Dreadnaught (std)
2011 Cordoba Cadete Classical (615 mm)
2014 Martin DX1AE (std)

tom2977

Postby tom2977 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:08 pm

Thiseas wrote:I use the Wolfram Precision Crystal Glass nail file.

Just bought one on your recommendation and checking out the website. I have to say i am very impressed. I used it and hardly needed any polishing to finish the nail edge off. I thought one glass file would be like another but not so!

Thiseas

Postby Thiseas » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:36 pm

tom2977 wrote:
Thiseas wrote:I use the Wolfram Precision Crystal Glass nail file.

Just bought one on your recommendation and checking out the website. I have to say i am very impressed. I used it and hardly needed any polishing to finish the nail edge off. I thought one glass file would be like another but not so!

That's exactly what I thought when I came across the site. Beware though, it's fragile! If you drop it you'll end up with two or three smaller files :wink:

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”