What is your nail care solution

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Doug Crosswell

Re: What is your nail care solution

Post by Doug Crosswell » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:55 pm

I been using flexinail for a year . They can be a bit pricey , but I find it worth it . It uses natural nutrients that the nails need . Also have a good diet can help . Eating your veggies and having fish and cutting back on red meat can help .

jpryan

Post by jpryan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:20 pm

The kit from Strings by Mail comes with a glass file, six micromesh cloths, and a foam block in a drawstring pouch for $20 US. (NFKIT 5)
For moisturizing I use grapeseed oil and Vaseline's "Healthy Hand and Nail" lotion.
--John

softmachine

Post by softmachine » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:50 pm

I use a glass nail file, and 4 different grade of micro mesh sandpaper. works perfectly, everytime.

Sandrevan

Post by Sandrevan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:06 pm

Like others I use a crystal nail file and 1200 grit sandpaper to polish. I use 'Hard as Hoofs' and Onymyrrhe to keep nails flexible. Use moisturisers regularly and gloves for washing dishes to prevent dry out.

Professor Ding Bat

Post by Professor Ding Bat » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:42 pm

I want to put a plug in for Flexinails. I have had recurring issues with nail breakage and splitting over the past year since I took up classical playing again after a long hiatus. I had been looking for something to make my nails stronger, and even considered using a nail hardener product which goes on like nail polish. Fake nails are an absolutely impossible option as that process ruins the natural nails and cuticles, and should be avoided at all costs. So I bought four bottles of Flexinail from their website almost 3 months ago and have used it as directed, applying twice per day and leaving on for 30 minutes. They claim that the solution is able to penetrate the nail and fortifies the nail matrix to encourage the growth of strong healthy nails. So, after 3 months, my nails are the strongest an healthiest I can ever remember them being. Supposedly, they are claimed to become more flexible, although I have not experienced that effect, but they are strong and visibly thicker. It is also claimed that with continued use your nails become stronger as the nail grows out. Although this stuff is not cheap, it works as claimed and I find the results to be well worth the price. You also have to be patient with this stuff, and use it as directed. I only recently started to see the results and I even broke a nail about a month into it, which made me wonder if the stuff was really all that good, but I'm glad I stuck with the program. My nails look and feel great now and they sound even better.

Costin Soare

Post by Costin Soare » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:11 am

For strengthening the nails, the Argan Oil is a very good solution: a mix of Argan Oil and lemon juice (half-half), 10 minutes keeping the nails in it every day... The results are great!

Cheers!

C.
http://costinsoare.com/en/home/

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:30 am

Thanks for recommending the Wolfram Precision Crystal Glass files. I see they are now stocked in the UK by StringsDirect so I am going to try them out.

The only slight confusion is that they have three variants:

Precision : Crystal
Precision : Crystal NANO
Precision : Crystal PRO (which is slightly more expensive and has two filing surfaces in different grades)

Any thoughts?
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

jlynker

Post by jlynker » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:35 am

DavidRussellGuitar dot com has a Tips for Guitarists page with a panel on First Aid Supplies for the Guitarist - he recommends a ping pong ball and superglue to make fake nails. He says they are just the right hardness!

I saw David Russell perform last week. Front row seat, 10 feet away from a masterful guitarist... He was excellent!

huckleberry

Wolfram Precision : Crystal variants

Post by huckleberry » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:53 pm

Hi JohnB,

David Browne, founder of Wolfram here - thanks for your interest in the Precision : Crystal nail files, and it's great to hear from happy customers here on the forum.

There are now three variants. The 'original' Precision : Crystal has the same fine filing surface on both sides. We developed this surface to work perfectly on natural nails, and to leave as smooth a finish as possible for great guitar tone.

Following feedback from players with harder artificial nails, we developed the PRO file, which has one surface identical to the standard file and one coarser, designed for faster, more accurate shaping of acrylic and other artificial nails. This file is also 50% thicker and heavier, which some players say they prefer for additional control over shaping. As far as I'm aware, the Precision : Crystal PRO is the only crystal glass nail file available with two different surfaces.

The nano is just a shorter version of the PRO file, developed in response to customers asking for a pocket-sized version of our files.

Let me know if you have any other questions - happy to help.

Cheers,
David

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:01 pm

I use a diamond nail file for shaping and micromesh 2400, 4000 and 12000 for finishing and buffing. Works fine for me!
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

bear

Post by bear » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:43 pm

souldier wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new nail care kit/product and was wondering if anyone could recommend something effective yet reasonably priced and long lasting. Would love to weigh as many options as possible before moving forward.

Thanks,
soul
I use Sally Hansen Double Duty and nothing else. I apply multiple layers. It adds thickness to the nail. I'm a retired blacksmith, it works for me.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

doug

Post by doug » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:06 am

I am using Onymyrthe, although I understand it's no longer available. I use a crystal glass nail file, Micro-mesh pads and sandpaper. The last thing I do is polish them with commercial plastic-backed diamond grit polishing sheets for non-metals. I get it from a hardware supplier. It says that it's 2200 grit, but it's MUCH finer than the highest grit Micro-mesh pad. It's a little expensive....one 9" X 11" sheet is about $40.....but I cut it into small pieces, and it will last a very long time. It's plastic-backed, with a shiny side and a dull side....that's the abrasive side.....and you can hardly tell the difference in the feel of the two sides. It really puts a glass-like finish on my nails.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C
2015 GV Rubio Estudio 640 SP/PE

sjs0317

Post by sjs0317 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:17 pm

i tried different products without success. Then i started biotin gel caps. I had already been taking a good multi-vitamin. Anyway, after about 2 months, my nails became stronger and now rarely break.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:31 pm

Living at 42 degrees latitude, I found that supplementing with vitamin D3 made my nails strong and flexible and I haven't broken a nail in nearly eight years! I do protect them by using gloves when doing household and garden tasks and use moisturizer during the winter every time I wash my hands.
I use a glass file for shaping and four way buffers for finishing.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:04 am

Get a soft gel treatment every 2 - 3 weeks on top half of nail from a professional nailist. Regularly use moisturizer under the nail and on the bottom half. Use 400 and 1000 sandpaper to shape and polish every 2 - 3 days. Never worry about breaking nails.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”