What is your nail care solution

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
guitarguy

Re: What is your nail care solution

Post by guitarguy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:08 am

I can recommend plain olive oil. Just put a bit in a little jar and soak your nails for 20 minutes in it. (Best done in front of the television.)
This has helped me a lot when I was suffering from split nails.

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:51 am

For dry nails, my wife and her friend both suggested coconut oil. Have been using it for about 2 weeks and seems like my dryness is improved. You are supposed to rub it on top of the nail and into the cuticle. I also found this suggestion on several internet sites (not that I didn't trust my wife).
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

OldC1guy

Post by OldC1guy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:16 pm

Ashley. I go to her about every 3 weeks, and she uses a product called Shellac. On alternate visits, she removes all the material. She has a matte finish product that de-glosses the nails. She just does one hand for $8.00 I give her a $4.00 tip. I've been going to her now for 3 or 4 years. The thing is no cracking, and if it does she can patch it. Oh, just for the record, I'm 81, and she's cute as a button.
I bought my classical guitar before my first marriage. That didn’t last, but the guitar did; one of the few things she didn't get...

Peskyendeavour

Post by Peskyendeavour » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:56 pm

Buff and shine foam centred spatula - I find the buff and shine that has four sides (seems in vogue now) rather useless at getting in to polish the underside of my nail. As I like to play with v short nails it has to get in close to the flesh.

However whatever grit sand paper, however fine, I find if I don't finish off properly with buff and shine the underside and edge of nail there will be noticeable tonal differences.

Also Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream for intensive moisurizing.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”