Given up on fingernails...

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
MAK

Re: Given up on fingernails...

Post by MAK » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:39 am

Beeswax--interesting. I'll have to try it. I use shea butter, a combination of oils, and creams, but I still have rough fingertips. My hands are in water a lot, even though I use rubber gloves for dishes. Thanks for the beeswax tip.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:42 am

I use Aveeno lotion...I'm constantly putting it on especially now in the winter :) I've tried others but Aveeno has been the best by far! I've been playing without my nails for over 2 years now, I think.
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

Peter Corey

Post by Peter Corey » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:36 am

There are two fairly new prescription nail lacquers for so-called "dystrophic" nails (nails that break or split a lot) which are worth trying:

1. Nuvail; and
2. Genadur

Genadur goes on clear and dries in about 30 seconds, but it's "hydrosoluble", so it should be applied when you won't be washing your hands (e.g., before bedtime);

Nuvail has a slight gloss and is not hydrosoluble but it has to be removed like regular nail lacquer with a solvent like acetone.

In the U.S., these lacquers are currently prescription-only. Ask your doctor.

JRomano

Post by JRomano » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:53 pm

I have tried to grow my nails off and on for the past seven years. Finally, when they were just starting to grow out to a decent length, and I was getting a decent sound, my M finger got this harmless growth, a ganglion cyst, which started pressing on the nail bed and causing that nail to grow out all ripply. I tried the Alaska picks, and other things, but they just don't feel comfortable. And, while the cyst has decreased markedly, the nail seems to still be growing in that weird pattern. So, even though I'm trying again to grow them, I think I may, too, just give up the ghost and use flesh. Many have mentioned Rob MacKillop, who gets a wonderful warm sound, very expressive, with just flesh. It's hard to imagine people have abused him over such. He gets such a nice sound. And, since I don't need to fill a concert hall, just my living room, having nails is a lot less important, and it makes the rest of life a bit less awkward as I don't have to fear breaking or chipping them.

davekear

Post by davekear » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:02 pm

JRomano wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:53 pm
I have tried to grow my nails off and on for the past seven years. Finally, when they were just starting to grow out to a decent length, and I was getting a decent sound, my M finger got this harmless growth, a ganglion cyst, which started pressing on the nail bed and causing that nail to grow out all ripply. I tried the Alaska picks, and other things, but they just don't feel comfortable. And, while the cyst has decreased markedly, the nail seems to still be growing in that weird pattern. So, even though I'm trying again to grow them, I think I may, too, just give up the ghost and use flesh. Many have mentioned Rob MacKillop, who gets a wonderful warm sound, very expressive, with just flesh. It's hard to imagine people have abused him over such. He gets such a nice sound. And, since I don't need to fill a concert hall, just my living room, having nails is a lot less important, and it makes the rest of life a bit less awkward as I don't have to fear breaking or chipping them.
I've owned guitarplayernails.com for over 20 years now. Contact me personally, and I'll help you to get great sounding nails any time you want.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”